Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 12:27 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,539,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
I think a lot of times people get freaked out of bugs because they are in a vulnerable position when they encounter them. Have you ever been driving your car and noticed in your rearview mirror three wasps flying around above your back seat ? Or maybe you were on the crapper busy giving birth to turdlets when you look up and see a spider racing toward you on his zip line. What to do..what to do ?

LOL this happened to me (i'm in Houston, TX).....I was driving down a busy street and saw some movement on top of the glove box. I look over and one of the dreaded huge cockroaches is slowly ambling from underneath my dash (it must have got in through the wheel well).

Needless to say, I screamed my effen' guts out, threw the truck in Park and jumped out of the vehicle. Not cool, as it was in the right lane of a very busy street but I didn't care. Luckily I was in front of a gas station, and a guy came over and drove my truck in the gas station and said he got it out. I always ask for visual proof before I can believe in the killing, but he could not produce. Sigh. I hopped in and made it a half mile down to the car wash, where I immediately asked for the super vacuum/car wash package. One of the guys came up and told me he sucked the roach up because apparently, it was still in the car.

I drove around with googly eyes in that truck for a good month afterwards. Even today (about 6 years later) I spray the inside of my vehicle with the Ortho Home Defense (odorless and dries clear) during the warmer months.

On topic, my biggest scary-scare is from the big roaches (although after being here for over 15 years, i'm getting more used to them and don't freak out AS BAD) and huntsman spiders.

I plan on retiring in the Philippines, and they have both. I always gotta do things the hard way LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 02:20 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,286,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkiforniainHouston View Post

I plan on retiring in the Philippines, and they have both. I always gotta do things the hard way LOL
born and grew up in the Philippines countryside and we are used to bugs of all kinds. some bugs (roaches) can be eliminated by just having a clean house and surroundings but mosquito will always be there as you can not dry up everything being a tropical country it rains most of the time

most bugs can be avoided by not going to the fields or forest or not climbing trees

now my daughter who was born here in America is freak out about bugs. no matter how I explain that they dont hurt you as long as you dont touch them. I guess I need to bring her to the Philippines to familiarize her with bugs

Old 05-20-2016, 03:40 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
Quote:
LOL this happened to me (i'm in Houston, TX).....I was driving down a busy street and saw some movement on top of the glove box. I look over and one of the dreaded huge cockroaches is slowly ambling from underneath my dash (it must have got in through the wheel well).

Needless to say, I screamed my effen' guts out, threw the truck in Park and jumped out of the vehicle. Not cool, as it was in the right lane of a very busy street but I didn't care. Luckily I was in front of a gas station, and a guy came over and drove my truck in the gas station and said he got it out. I always ask for visual proof before I can believe in the killing, but he could not produce. Sigh. I hopped in and made it a half mile down to the car wash, where I immediately asked for the super vacuum/car wash package. One of the guys came up and told me he sucked the roach up because apparently, it was still in the car.

I drove around with googly eyes in that truck for a good month afterwards. Even today (about 6 years later) I spray the inside of my vehicle with the Ortho Home Defense (odorless and dries clear) during the warmer months.

On topic, my biggest scary-scare is from the big roaches (although after being here for over 15 years, i'm getting more used to them and don't freak out AS BAD) and huntsman spiders.

My husband felt something on his head and quickly smacked at it and a giant roach flung onto the dashboard. I jumped out of the car (lucky it was at a red light, I might not have waited for it to stop) and screamed like a maniac. Luckily after many years in the south, I didn't panic as much when I saw them. Still glad they aren't around here where I live now.

I hate bugs...I can't help it. I didn't like them as a kid, and I don't like them now. Even butterflies. I passed that on to my son and daughter

I think its the lack of control with them, and the potential that they can infect/injure/spread disease you and you don't really know if its safe until you get a real good look at them.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:09 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,471,998 times
Because many of them are scary! Black widow, Brown recluse, cockroach, fly, mosquito, ant, centipede, vinagaroon, wasp, earwig, silverfish, the list is endless. Many of their bites are painful and can be life-threatening, so, of course, we fear them.

Here's an interesting story, though. Years ago, about 2000 or a few years earlier, a group of colleagues and I were writing a grant to ATT for technology. We were trying to come up with a title for the project (education, elementary school). The night before our last day of planning before submitting the proposal, I had a dream about a spider. In the dream it came to me to use the name "telarana" (spiderweb >>>web, project was related to internet). The next morning, I woke up with a huge spider bite on my forehead. True story. We were awarded the grant. It was a well-received project and the grantors especially liked the title.

Another story: You know those talking cockroaches they show on Raid commercials? The cartoon ones? Well, some bugs look JUST THAT UGLY! Years ago I took my new puppy to the vet because it kept scratching and I noticed some hair loss. The vet examined the puppy and diagnosed mange mites. He handed the puppy back to me. Then the vet said, "Do you want to see it?" I looked into the microscope and almost threw the puppy across the room in my fright! It was a monster. The vet laughed hysterically as he KNEW that would be my reaction. All those syfy creatures probably are based on magnified versions of real bugs. (shivers)

Obviously there are bugs we love: butterfly, bee, moth, dragonfly, june bug, lightening bug...

Old 05-21-2016, 08:15 AM

231 posts, read 201,917 times
Spiders can bite you and cause bruises. That's why.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:56 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasonedNewbie View Post
Exactly what causes us to fear insects?

Is it the look of a bug? The species? The fact that some bugs leave germs and bacteria? Or could it be a past incident that triggered such a fear?

For instance, I have lepidopterophobia and mottephobia. In case you're not familiar with these $200 words, that means I have a fear of butterflies and moths. Had this fear since I was a youngin'. I'm also freaked out by flying roaches. Other insects (and arachnids) just simply get a good splat if spotted.

What are your bug phobias?

Venomous spiders and blood suckers. I've been bitten by Black Widows, multiple times, and am in no hurry to try it again. The blood suckers just disgust me. Deer flys, horse flys etc, but crawling blood suckers, like bed bugs, just give me the creeps.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:01 AM

1,679 posts, read 2,542,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Some insects are "pests" ...annoying. Take the Cicada for example. The millions popping up from the ground, hovering at your cars or outdoor patio...makes for a great inconvenience. The sounds are equally high pitched and again...annoying.

we often fear in irrational ways that which we over estimate or are misinformed.

Some "fears" do protect our survival, such as a Bee sting for those who are allergic....
I fear the Cicada the most. The last time they came I had to take anxiety medicine to calm my nerves. They are hideous and you cannot avoid them unless you stay in the house and the sound they make is nerve wrecking. I no longer live where they come! Bye OHIO!!

I have a fear of all bugs that fly and I hate the thousand leggers. I had to kill one that was on the ceiling and when it fell to the floor it make a thumping sound so hard, because it was extremely huge. This was in Maryland where it is the norm to see them, especially when it rains.

Old 05-21-2016, 12:15 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Bugs generally do not bother me unless there's imminent risk of being stung. Snakes, however....

Old 05-21-2016, 03:00 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,000,344 times
The unpredictability of some bugs is what gets me. Seeing a spider doesn't bother me. What does bother me is the fact that it might jump at/on me without warning. Same goes for flying bugs.

Frogs are my worst enemy for that same reason. If they would jump away from me, I would be fine - but they always choose to jump closer to/on me which makes me have a ridiculous melt down. I've injured myself trying to get away from one before.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:47 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,240,283 times
Quote:

Lmao! Loving these stories.

I don't really get freaked out by bugs, per se. But I'm constantly getting "bitten" by mosquitos. I'll be sleeping and feel the familiar sting, and think, Ahhh... West Nile this time for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology