Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 10:54 PM

543 posts, read 943,410 times

Advertisements

I was talking to a person(very intelligent but mentally ill) and we discussed singularity and hopefully a day comes when mankind has truly evolved into some other beings. But I don't see it happening in this day and age. Two areas that deserve so much attention is the study of the human mind and the study of outer space. Think about it.....Outer space is real. Planets, galaxies, maybe there could be life also somewhere....who knows. So instead of placing faith in religion or abstract philosophical quandaries, the eternal question always will be "How did I suddenly exist, what is the purpose". Space is one area where we may find that answer.

When I was in Canada my philosophy professor had a massive telescope in his bedroom. A minimalist room with plants and a mattress and a bookshelf and this massive telescope. Everytime I went there(and I would seek excuses to go) I felt like all my worries, my concerns, the plight of mankind.....disappeared. Looking through the telescope just made me feel so insignificant but also made me think why isn't the government doing enough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 05:19 AM

19,990 posts, read 13,470,976 times
I completely agree with you, but people don't see the percentage in it; the benefits are too abstract and seem too distant. The early space program pushed the miniaturization of electronics and computers, the boundaries of material science, and so many other things, but to people who see life as a zero-sum game, all the space program did was take food out of the mouths of the poor. Ironically, our half-hearted spending since the Apollo program was cut short, actually contributed to the perception that the space program was just doing cool stuff for its own sake. The only reason we have accomplished as much as we have, is the increasing autonomy and effectiveness -- and much lower cost -- of robotic space exploration.

But there are still things only human explorers can do well, or can do better. Sadly, pick any year since about 1990 and the manned exploration of Mars is always 20 years away. The truth is we need a permanent presence on the Moon and a bigger permanent presence in orbit to build the experience and infrastructure to do a credible job of going to Mars and make sure it's not just another flash in the pan where we do it once or twice and then stop. Mankind needs to no longer be Earth-bound.

The private sector is taking the initiative here -- one of the few upsides of our growing oligarchy is that there are billionaires with enough money to regard space as a ground floor business opportunity -- where government lacks the vision and will. But they are going to want to do asteroid mining and the militarization of space more than pure science. Even SpaceX's vision of reaching Mars is more of a stretch goal in their desire to dominate space transportation.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:05 AM

1,248 posts, read 823,835 times
We would need a different form of government before humanity can dedicate efforts to exploring space: a one world government that would rule a united humanity. Until then we will be mired down in petty political struggles and wars. And we will need to get rid of religion and all forms of superstition as well.

Old 05-31-2016, 02:45 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times
I think space exploration is a very valid pursuit, but that doesn't mean I think "government" should be doing it. In the past 100 years, it's become so normal for the government to grow and grow and take over so much, that we seem to have forgotten that private individuals and groups can accomplish anything.

While I'm glad about our past (US) accomplishments with space exploration, I have to admit, it's not in our original Constitution (nor is any scientific pursuit) so I'm okay with the US government being less involved. If we were involved in space activities specifically for defense, then yes, that is covered in the Constitution and I'd be okay with taxpayer money going to it. [Don't want to get off-topic, but this is where a lot of people misunderstand Libertarian-Conservatives. They think that since we don't want government to control something or spend money on something, that we don't care about that issue. In reality there are lots of things we care deeply about; we just don't believe it's government's role. For example, I'm passionate about animal rescue, but I don't want a US Dept of Pet Rescue. Likewise I don't want government involved in healthcare, etc.]

Anyway, I really think that it's the private sector that will make the greatest leaps in space exploration. People get this idea that "government" should be the one to do it, but government proves time and time again to do things less efficiently, with more overhead, slower timetables, and with lesser quality than the private sector. Government is best at creating barriers, delays, cumbersome regulation, duplication, etc.

So people, private individuals, who believe in the value of space exploration should invest wherever and however they can.

I don't think that the US government pulling back on space exploration says anything about anyone's "psychology" but about what the powers-that-be wish to prioritize. I really don't think the average person has lost interest in the field.

Old 05-31-2016, 03:38 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
I was talking to a person(very intelligent but mentally ill) and we discussed singularity and hopefully a day comes when mankind has truly evolved into some other beings. But I don't see it happening in this day and age. . . .
No, mankind evolving into a different being will not happen in yours or anyone else's lifetime, who would be posting here today.

Evolution is a massively slow process.

And I am not sure how human beings' evolving is tied into space exploration in your mind. Are you interested in how humans originated? Is that it?

Old 05-31-2016, 04:18 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Does everything have to think that the singularity is a good thing?

Old 05-31-2016, 11:20 PM

543 posts, read 943,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
And I am not sure how human beings' evolving is tied into space exploration in your mind. Are you interested in how humans originated? Is that it?
Duh, yeah. I think we can find some answers if we looked in that direction. People assume all this SETI and ET is fictional about beings landing in our backyard but even one radio transmission received would be an evolutionary event of some kind. Then we would know that we are not that special or that the purpose of life needs to be answered. Its just basic evolution....life evolves into something Universal.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:11 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,129,053 times
The technology is too expensive.

However, money should be spent to develop two technologies:

1. rope made of one long molecule, so that the molecular bond it the bond. This would allow the creation of an elevator to space.

2. room temperature super conductors. So many things would be possible if electicity could travel with zero resistance at room temperatures. Unfortunately so many new weapons would also be possible---like hand held lasers. But batteries would be super capacitors with as much power or more power stored than gasoline.

Old 06-01-2016, 01:12 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
Duh, yeah. I think we can find some answers if we looked in that direction. People assume all this SETI and ET is fictional about beings landing in our backyard but even one radio transmission received would be an evolutionary event of some kind. Then we would know that we are not that special or that the purpose of life needs to be answered. Its just basic evolution....life evolves into something Universal.
Oh duh yourself. Your post wan't all that clear.

You know, you could start a company that does this yourself. Or you could study to become qualified so you could join one of the already ongoing efforts.

And, even if that "one radio transmission" were suddenly found, it would still not shake the convictions of those who will not allow themselves to believe in evolution. Is it possible that you want to know of a transmission from across the universe to strengthen your conviction about evolution?

But finding "even one radio transmission" would be like looking for a needle in a universe. I also feel that government needs to address other more important issues, such as the continual environmental degradation that will lead to massive climate change, possibly in our children's lifetimes.

Old 06-03-2016, 06:56 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
I think there IS an interest in astronomy and space.
But We've got tooooo many problems to deal with down here on earth. Spending tax dollars to explore space is (in my mind) an obscene waste of money....
Unless it can be done without tax monies...I see no benefits, only increased suffering from those who must pay for something that'll be of no use to them.
Everything the gov does cost us money....exploring space is great, but not at the expense of our people's well being...here and now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology