Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 06:24 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,405,241 times

Advertisements

He started off me with 10 mg, which is the lowest strength.. Why would I lie?

And he did specifically say that I didn't need to take the medication on weekends or whenever I wasn't working.

Last edited by Marka; 06-29-2016 at 03:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 06:33 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
He started off me with 10 mg, which is the lowest strength.. Why would I lie?

And he did specifically say that I didn't need to take the medication on weekends or whenever I wasn't working.
You can definitely stop when you don't need it, like on weekends. My doc said the same thing. It also shouldn't take YEARS to diagnose ADHD or ADD. My son has it, went to a special place that only handles attention issues and it took a couple of hours at most. He's now an adult. It probably took 45 minutes to figure out I had it.

Stop asking medical questions on here. You'll get the same quality of answers as you paid for. Call your doc and tell him or her what is going on. And go back to the dosage you are supposed to be taking until you can talk to that doc. Also, watch your caffeine intake while on the meds.

Last edited by Marka; 06-29-2016 at 03:53 AM..

Old 06-23-2016, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
You can definitely stop when you don't need it, like on weekends. My doc said the same thing. It also shouldn't take YEARS to diagnose ADHD or ADD. My son has it, went to a special place that only handles attention issues and it took a couple of hours at most. He's now an adult. It probably took 45 minutes to figure out I had it.

Stop asking medical questions on here. You'll get the same quality of answers as you paid for. Call your doc and tell him or her what is going on. And go back to the dosage you are supposed to be taking until you can talk to that doc. Also, watch your caffeine intake while on the meds.
Thanks. Do you think going back to the original dose won't have any effect on me now that I have taken higher doses? Is it ok to still drink a cup of coffee or two in the morning?

Old 06-23-2016, 07:44 PM

11,160 posts, read 7,964,064 times
If doctors did that people would dying of an overdose all over the place. If any of this is even true what the doctor probably did say is that "he" ( the doctor) would increase/adjust the dose " after" the patient had taken it a while. You don't take it for a " couple of days" and expect results.
Plus... You don't take it only when working or need to concentrate. You need a steady supply in your system to make it work. They can also prescribe " slow release" pills if the effects of the drugs are wearing off prematurely. ( which also takes time to determine).
I take 20mg SR in the am and 10mg in the evening. Once my body adjusted to the medication the side effects
lessened and things got pretty much back to normal... And I have to take it " every day".

Last edited by Marka; 06-29-2016 at 03:54 AM..

Old 06-23-2016, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
I am with you. If doctors did that people would dying of an overdose all over the place. If any of this is even true what the doctor probably did say is that "he" ( the doctor) would increase/adjust the dose " after" the patient had taken it a while. You don't take it for a " couple of days" and expect results.
Plus... You don't take it only when working or need to concentrate. You need a steady supply in your system to make it work. They can also prescribe " slow release" pills if the effects of the drugs are wearing off prematurely. ( which also takes time to determine).
I take 20mg SR in the am and 10mg in the evening. Once my body adjusted to the medication the side effects
lessened and things got pretty much back to normal... And I have to take it " every day".
Well, I'm telling you that my doctor told me that I only needed to take the medication when I have to do work. If it's the weekend and I don't have to be productive, the medication isn't needed. I don't have any reason to lie about this.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:18 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Well, I'm telling you that my doctor told me that I only needed to take the medication when I have to do work. If it's the weekend and I don't have to be productive, the medication isn't needed. I don't have any reason to lie about this.
then you have been grossly misinformed by this license physician.

This is not about "stretching the truth" , it is about properly administering the medicine as prescribed by your doctor and listed under the directions set forth by the pharmaceutical companies.

Your pill is NOT a Pro re nada ( take as needed), It is a directive to remain consistent at certain times of the day/night.

Go ask your pharmacist, They understand the terminology and can best guide you in WHY its important to take as prescribed.

May I inquire why a pill? Have you sought other methods that are less detrimental to your body?

You do have a say in how your health is managed.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:08 PM

417 posts, read 345,607 times
Honestly I am just mad that your doctor told you that, if you are really telling the truth. Ritalin is not something that you can take as you need. Saying you don't need it on weekends is different then saying you can take it when you have a hard day at work. If you really have ADD, then you won't feel the effects of Ritalin after a while it will just feel natural.
Honestly I am just concerned about you and your health. People have OD on Ritalin and I never want that to happen to anyone.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaemily View Post
Honestly I am just mad that your doctor told you that, if you are really telling the truth. Ritalin is not something that you can take as you need. Saying you don't need it on weekends is different then saying you can take it when you have a hard day at work. If you really have ADD, then you won't feel the effects of Ritalin after a while it will just feel natural.
Honestly I am just concerned about you and your health. People have OD on Ritalin and I never want that to happen to anyone.
What do you mean I won't feel the effects of Ritalin for a while? Are you referring to the side effects like loss of appetite and moodiness?

Old 06-23-2016, 09:26 PM

876 posts, read 813,512 times
Anyone taking a prescription medication should spend as much time as necessary to research its risks, especially long term. The drug trial process is much shorter than many people are on psychotropic medications. So, anyone taking a relatively new prescription drug is acting as a guinea pig for long term side effects. Ritalin isn't new but there are a lot of people using it off label as a recreational stimulant or mental performance enhancer which points to it being addictive.

It would be irresponsible of me to say that no one should take Ritalin or other stimulant drug. Just be aware of what you're putting in your body, and work toward weaning off it as soon as you can.

Also you might need to look at diet and lifestyle changes to get as healthy as possible.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:19 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.A.Bachlow View Post
People do not get it. Ritalin is speed. It is similar to meth. Once you get use to it...coming off it will cause severe depression. Giving it to kids is bizarre. It is like giving your kid a snort of coke. Kids on this crap lose their appetite. The do not grow t full height and weight...they do not sleep properly. As for adult use...you may as well snort cocaine. Forget this crap...and if you are a male your libido goes out the window. Big pharma is not your friend...taking a stimulant is not the answer....as for ADD...It is you....live with it...and utilize your ability to be all over the place....adjust and accept yourself for what you are...dope is dope..
After much consideration and concern, one of my grandchildren was put on the smallest dose of Ritalin, and it did wonders for schoolwork and concentration. It has been given to kids for decades now, and I can't imagine if it was as awful as what you say that it would be still prescribed. Your post is filled with generalizations. By the way, you might cite your sources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology