Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 10:39 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,720,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I wish these dudes who are "going their own way" would just do it and leave the rest of us out of it. If that poster is truly happy with his life and his decisions, then why is he here on a romantic relationship forum trying to justify it to us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 10:58 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,840,998 times
Quote:
I wish these dudes who are "going their own way" would just do it and leave the rest of us out of it. If that poster is truly happy with his life and his decisions, then why is he here on a romantic relationship forum trying to justify it to us?
Bingo! (I was going to say, "exactly!," but Aurelia already has, and she did a better job of it).

Old 06-25-2016, 11:31 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,843,322 times
I rule the roost at home. How do I know? My husband told me. And tells the knuckle-dragging, chest thumping neanderthals at work too. /lol He's not what you would call a wimp, awards for sharp shooting, instructor, survival instructor..... He's proud that I am a competent individual.

I've managed male employees, and never had any problems with them. I came from an office where the highest ranking manager was male, and he loved women managers.

It's only here that I've heard guys talk or act like this. I feel sad that they can't resolve themselves to being equal to the other half of civilization.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-25-2016, 12:43 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,451,713 times
There is a very obvious "double standard " at many work places.

When those 70 pound boxes of copy paper are delivered to the front desk area, guess who is told to carry it to the storage room ? It isn't going to be the cute little Vassar graduate is it ?

When the [Mod cut.] and the boss says "we need four people to work on this until it is done, ever if it takes until midnight "........Guess who will be saying " Oh I can't stay, my kid has ballet , and I have Yoga, too".

Now lets go over to the local coal mine, and take a head count of how many of those miners are female ? Not many. And where are all the female sewer workers, I want to know ?

And finally, lets go into the local college classroom. and listen to the "women's studies " course leader, who is busy telling all the young women that " they can be anything that they want to be ". As long as it doesn't involve actual physical WORK, or getting your hands dirty. After all we have the "knowledge generation " now, don't we ?

My 13 year old Grandson has just completed his grade 8 year. At the graduation, all 32 kids were asked to get up and say "what I want to be when I become an adult "..... I kept track, and none of them was going be anything except a Doctor, Dentist, Engineer, Vet, Lawyer, or University Professor.

Not one of them was interested in being a "trades person " But guess what most of their Fathers do for a living ? Yes they were mostly the guys who DO get their hands dirty, and they are the ones who those kids will expect to pay the freight for them to become " a clean hands executive ".

And some women wonder why some men, like me are laughing at them.......

Jim B.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-26-2016 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate language.

Old 06-25-2016, 12:44 PM

1,884 posts, read 1,002,405 times
I don't hate gender equality. I hate:

1a. Feminists failing to stop at equality, and pressing for anti-male/pro-female "reparations"
1b. Demanding gender standards for men (must go to war, work hard/dangerous jobs), yet renouncing all gender standards for women
2. The shame of not being a majority breadwinner as a man, despite near-equal earning potential
3. The shame of (tactfully, non-threateningly) making sexual advances towards women
4. The shame of being a white male
5. Controlling, domineering, status-seeking people in general. A role of which women are starting to fill more and more each day
6. Downright false rape cases
7. Ridiculous double-standards for "date-rape" (buzzed/drunk sex)
8. Naturally feminine women being told by feminism that, in order to be equal, you must be more masculine. Resulting in a once-proud woman feeling unnatural and unsatisfied with her life and social role

I'm not sexist, but I do think most of the social assault is currently being endured by men. And with real implications on the human psyche, as well as the legal system. I just wish the gender wars would end already, but that's not what mainstream feminists want.

Last edited by Haksel257; 06-25-2016 at 12:53 PM..

Old 06-25-2016, 12:57 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
There is a very obvious "double standard " at many work places.

When those 70 pound boxes of copy paper are delivered to the front desk area, guess who is told to carry it to the storage room ? It isn't going to be the cute little Vassar graduate is it ?
Yes, sometimes it is. Copy paper boxes don't weigh 70 lbs. (I would know; I've carried plenty as a "cute little college grad"), and in any case, they can be broken down into smaller bundles to carry, if necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian citizen;
When the [snip] and the boss says "we need four people to work on this until it is done, ever if it takes until midnight "........Guess who will be saying " Oh I can't stay, my kid has ballet , and I have Yoga, too".
Wow, do Canadian women do this? Are all women in Canada married by the time they're out of college, or something? In the US, women definitely pitch in to meet deadlines. Nobody has kids in ballet these days, and most women in the office are single and child-free up to around the late 30's or 40 or so.

Quote:
Now lets go over to the local coal mine, and take a head count of how many of those miners are female ? Not many. And where are all the female sewer workers, I want to know ?
Those jobs, like construction jobs, truck driving, and other blue-collar work, are notoriously difficult for women to break into, and when a few succeed, they tend to get viciously harassed to the point of either quitting or suing. That's why women electricians, housepainters, plumbers, etc. have their own companies.

Quote:
And finally, lets go into the local college classroom. and listen to the "women's studies " course leader, who is busy telling all the young women that " they can be anything that they want to be ". As long as it doesn't involve actual physical WORK, or getting your hands dirty. After all we have the "knowledge generation " now, don't we ?
College professors aren't mommies or daddies to their students. They don't tell them they can "be anything they want to be". They're too busy with academics. If you'd taken a women's studies class, you could have seen that for yourself.

Quote:
My 13 year old Grandson has just completed his grade 8 year. At the graduation, all 32 kids were asked to get up and say "what I want to be when I become an adult "..... I kept track, and none of them was going be anything except a Doctor, Dentist, Engineer, Vet, Lawyer, or University Professor.

Not one of them was interested in being a "trades person " But guess what most of their Fathers do for a living ? Yes they were mostly the guys who DO get their hands dirty, and they are the ones who those kids will expect to pay the freight for them to become " a clean hands executive ".
Your point, here?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-26-2016 at 07:33 PM..

Old 06-25-2016, 01:20 PM

1,544 posts, read 924,733 times
Quote:

That's the main thing I can't stand about a MGTOW butt kisser; he's always blaming women for all the drama in society and paints himself as this all-purpose Alpha male when he's some damn basement-dwelling troll who's miserable because the girls he dated were trifling (not indicative of all women).

Last edited by SeasonedNewbie; 06-25-2016 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: fixed for profanity

Old 06-25-2016, 03:43 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,843,322 times
"The shame of being a white male."

Bwahahhahha...... really? Poor things.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-25-2016, 03:50 PM

1,884 posts, read 1,002,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
"The shame of being a white male."

Bwahahhahha...... really? Poor things.
I know, it sounds funny. But people really do internalize stupid ideas like this when they're repeated over and over. Even if it's not true.

Like poor people, for example. You can be pounding the pavement every day, trying to find a job, fully willing to work. But when everybody around you says your lazy, it starts to internalize...

That really wasn't my strongest point, though.

Old 06-25-2016, 04:03 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

Does this stuff really really affect normal well functioning men? Is this really a deal breaker with average everyday normal men, not the guys here, of course, but the normal men out there???
I think this is the key. No, of course not.

But there are some insecure, paternalistic guys out there for whom equality of the sexes is scary.

I also think that this is not nearly as much an issue for younger guys in white collar work, than it is for older guys. I am also aware that this is a gross generalization.

I experienced some of the older attitude at various times in my working life. None of this traumatized me, but I did experience it. I know it was out there, and presumably still is in some workplaces.

I am including a link to an article about the extreme, male dominated trolling of the coming movie, Ghostbusters which has a female lead cast. This is an illustration of some extreme feelings about something that is apparently threatening to some very insecure guys.

The Sexist Outcry Against the 'Ghostbusters' Remake, Starring Melissa McCarthy and Kristen Wiig, Gets Louder - The Atlantic

This kind of thing shows that remnants of sexism exist in various places in our culture. Of course the men involved in trolling women and movies that involve women have to be insecure. I can't imagine any other motive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology