Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 09:42 PM

59 posts, read 167,972 times

Advertisements

I always heard/read self-righteous baboons says that maybe he or she doesn't have a personality. There is no such thing as no having a personality, everyone has a personality, even animals have a personality, even bugs have a personality. What you mean, is he or she doesn't have a charismatic personality, which is what you and others are attracted to.

But guess what? People are different, and not everyone was born to be charismatic. No such thing as a world where everyone is charismatic and ready to please your ass. Character, personality, intelligence, and so many other psychological traits are mainly genetic and have very little to do with environmental factors. You can TRY to come off as more charismatic, but since it doesn't come naturally to you, people will be able to tell. Here is the thread, where everyone will come and say, you can be charismatic and extroverted if you want to. You can be whatever you want. Yeah, right, keep dreaming.

If I just try hard enough, maybe someday, I can be like the Rock or Will Smith, yeah, I want to believe.

I think is ridiculous how society says that if someone is quiet or introverted, then he has no personality. He has a personality too, just because your ass don't like his personality, doesn't mean he doesn't have one. Personality is not only determined by how social you are or how much you talk. It involves many other aspects that have nothing to do with society.

Everything you are as a human being was determined before you were even born, this includes everything that has to do with your brain and psychological traits. There it is very little you can do change how your brain works, how it perceives things, how it reacts to life, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 09:51 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,336,396 times
Are you venting?

Of course introversion doesn't mean having no personality. It's just a personality type based on, well, aspects of introversion. I've never been told I have no personality, and I really, really like my personality and introversion. I'm also a great conversationalist and can be very genuinely charming when I need to be. I also preferred to date fellow introverts. My husband and I are both INF(or T)P, and I've dated others with a very similar personality. It works for me.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:03 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,603,792 times
Even bugs have a personality? What?

Old 06-30-2016, 10:08 PM

15,024 posts, read 9,994,119 times
I'm not shy.. .far from it... but I am an introvert. I can be quiet.. I cherish my solitude and don't F* with my "me" time... but I can dominate a conversation if you let me.

My wife is a painfully shy.. but she is an extrovert. Once in her comfort zone... she's a social butterfly.

I've been called many things; man-sl#t, conflicted, confident, dependable, loyal to the end... but no personality.. nah.

People have no idea...

I don't quite get the intent of this discussion..... is there a question?

Old 06-30-2016, 10:21 PM

59 posts, read 167,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Even bugs have a personality? What?
lol they do, or do you think they all behave the same, like robots?

even microorganism have their "personality" and way of acting

Old 06-30-2016, 10:30 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,599,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miamismo View Post
lol they do, or do you think they all behave the same, like robots?

even microorganism have their "personality" and way of acting
It's harder for them to stand out when online dating, though.

Old 07-01-2016, 07:20 AM

521 posts, read 289,642 times
society calls introverts so many names, other than no personality, here you go

aloof
arrogant
weird/awkward
not a team player
antisocial
mean
snobby

.....etc

I don't know if these stereotypes will ever change, sometimes it becomes really annoying and unfair

Old 07-01-2016, 10:55 AM

19,755 posts, read 13,286,315 times
I'm quite introverted but not shy and get on fine in social settings. I am told I'm funny and interesting, but also that I'm hard to read and withheld. Who tells me which thing seems random to me; I don't consciously act differently with different people. I gave up trying to modify myself to delight everyone a long time ago.

I think the last straw was when I lost quite a bit of weight in the 1990s and people started treating me really nice compared to what I was used to. I realized they had been judging me all those years for something as specious as my waistline. When you come to a realization like that you just can't take people's judgments and perceptions seriously anymore.

Old 07-01-2016, 01:18 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,549,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I'm quite introverted but not shy and get on fine in social settings. I am told I'm funny and interesting, but also that I'm hard to read and withheld. Who tells me which thing seems random to me; I don't consciously act differently with different people. I gave up trying to modify myself to delight everyone a long time ago.

I think the last straw was when I lost quite a bit of weight in the 1990s and people started treating me really nice compared to what I was used to. I realized they had been judging me all those years for something as specious as my waistline. When you come to a realization like that you just can't take people's judgments and perceptions seriously anymore.
Your doing quite a bit of judging yourself there sonny boy. Perhaps you should live your life as you want and try not take things so seriously; just accept people (and society) as it works.

Old 07-01-2016, 10:42 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,946,563 times
Yes, introversion does not equal being shy. My DH is introverted and he is not shy. He managed successfully in a large corporation during his career. I am an extrovert, and I had a library career. Surprised?

Stereotypes are not accurate. And I have never heard introverts characterized as having no personality.

So, are introverts the new victims du jour?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology