Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 04:58 AM

1,706 posts, read 3,308,888 times

Advertisements

Look at the results of Stanley Milgram's experiment. It is about absolute authority.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment

Or Zimbardo, and the malleability of character. It was an either / or choice to be a prisoner or a guard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanfo...son_experiment

Would you stand out or succumb? How about if it is for religious purposes? If you know history, this shouldn't be hard to understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 10:13 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garchompa View Post
do you think the likes of Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot were mentally ill to do what they did?
IMO, Hitler would have been labeled a psychopath today (Anti-social personality disorder in the DSM-V).

Old 10-02-2016, 01:46 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
IMO, Hitler would have been labeled a psychopath today (Anti-social personality disorder in the DSM-V).
I wish we would stop softening the language for these human like people.

Psychopath, then sociopath, and now anti-social personality disorder.

They have no conscience and cannot be cured.

They are not mentally ill.

Old 10-02-2016, 02:47 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,320,630 times
Any one that is a deviation from normal is considered mentally ill by the general public.

The real question is, are the general populations normal people actually mentally healthy?

Old 10-03-2016, 01:03 PM

473 posts, read 502,232 times
Is relief mental illness is not longer an excuse for crime. Anyone that confused needs to be locked up, period. Something about local mental care is so bad, things are just not okay having this person running the streets. Years back when insanity was accepted as excuse for crime, the monsters got 1-2 years of confinement max, then back out to wet his whistle again on anyone.

However, things are still so stacked against prosecuting anyone with money, lots goes on that shouldn't. Lucky to know who the area predators are and just avoid them. Cops usually ruin victims and run them off....Churches even run people off and encourage their members to discriminate at work or education. Sadly, the church people choose to terrorize are usually a sex abuse victim, unwilling mistress, someone who morally calls a situation wrong or businessperson who acts too threatened when meeting competition. Let's just clarify who the mental care ruins -- 'victims of abuse' and ruined to cover it. Some communities go farther to discriminate and ruin victims further.

The worst atrocities are still being covered up by government, cops and mental care. Wealth buys 'special interest group' protection for lots of sick stuff....Mental care is only preying on victims, almost never used to even straighten out any of the most screwed up, threatening and sick people of any social-economic level.

Old 10-06-2016, 11:07 AM

854 posts, read 520,486 times
This is a misconception anyway (that mentally ill people are more dangerous). Most mentally ill people are only a danger to themselves.

So the answer is "no". People can just snap or perhaps they're just hateful. There's are all sorts of reasons why people commit violent acts.

Old 10-06-2016, 05:26 PM

776 posts, read 580,582 times
.......I would have to say yes. Mentally ill is the brain not acting as it should in the neuro typical manor. While I don't believe all mentally ill people are 'horrific people', I do believe all 'horrific people' are mentally ill. They do things because their brain is working outside the ethical norm, which is the way your brain isn't suppose to function. That being said the normal is evidently a small minority on this planet. It has been shown that people can turn off parts of there own brain, even loose use to them if not used. I think terrible people in history have either had brain damage and/or have worked at turning off parts of their brain. I think people do this when they dehumanize, therefore making them automatically mentally ill. If anyone has researched the NAZI's I think it is very clear how many turned parts of there brains off over time. For most Nazi's this was very difficult and they subdued to lying to themselves to help compensate. There were many cases where many didn't subdue and could take it, they either dyed, escaped, or retaliated.
.......In my case I have had no empathy from birth, so I've always come off as a psycho to everyone. As that part of my brain is shut down and not functional, I don't go around killing people. I have other parts in my brain telling me many logical ways that isn't a good idea. I think to shut down the whole system, to allow you to become a monster, you need to work on shutting down that part of your brain. Therefore making you mentally ill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology