Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 12:51 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,602,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
you live in a place where this is accommodated for you?

My friend literally has his medical supplies/prescripts delivered to his home.
He has his dry cleaning picked up and delivered to his home.

HIs neighbor walks his dogs.

He has his own garden ( fresh veggies!)
His groceries are delivered to his home.

He has Home Medical Care so the doctor comes to him.

Postal carrier delivers stamps ( yup you can order them online and have delivered)

My friend is also handicapped so he is limited on when he can get out and about.....

Using My imagination is easy....Limit what is necessary and you'll find somethings are a want not a need. Priorities.
The gist of the OP's thread is they have too many chores/tasks/errands (all lumped in to one).

The example of your disabled friend is just errands, but your neighbor had to arrange for all of these to be accomplished, hence they are tasks. They still had to be arranged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 05:40 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,321,061 times
We live 30 miles away from any shopping so we have tried to organize our retired lives so that shopping trips and errands at a bare minimum.

We do order has many items as possible from the internet and have it delivered, but a lot of the items we can't get delivered.

We keep a list of items we need and continually add items to it through the week. Then we pick a day when one of us has a doctor/dentist appointment or some other important reason to make the drive. On those days we spend almost all day in town going from one location to another running errands and buying food and other items on the list.

When we get home it takes an hour to put everything away and when that's finally done our day is over. for the rest of the week we just hang around home or within a few miles of home until the list starts to get full again.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:07 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,697,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
We live 30 miles away from any shopping so we have tried to organize our retired lives so that shopping trips and errands at a bare minimum.

We do order has many items as possible from the internet and have it delivered, but a lot of the items we can't get delivered.

We keep a list of items we need and continually add items to it through the week. Then we pick a day when one of us has a doctor/dentist appointment or some other important reason to make the drive. On those days we spend almost all day in town going from one location to another running errands and buying food and other items on the list.

When we get home it takes an hour to put everything away and when that's finally done our day is over. for the rest of the week we just hang around home or within a few miles of home until the list starts to get full again.
Been there; done that for 16 years. We had to make sure we had a shopping list with us when we went to work (an hour's drive each way) to make sure we had everything we needed before we went home. We were okay with being that secluded, but I would have a difficult time describing just how much the world has opened up since we moved away and now live five minutes from everything.

Looking back now, I think both my wife and I were depressed. Lot's of little things didn't get done and we were always tired. We could never have company because no one wanted to drive that far.

And yes, every errand seemed like it was a real chore.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:14 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,175,840 times
I hear you, OP. I hate errands as well.

I would strongly recommend doing all of your errands at one time; that way it will reduce your burden & the time you take on them - i.e., if you do everything at once instead of at separate times, you will be able to complete everything at one time as well.

I myself set aside time once a evening (after work) and do the following: shopping, recycling, getting gas, etc. Works for me....

Old 08-01-2016, 12:43 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,023,509 times
Get your oil changes done at Valvoline! Once I started going there, I swore I'd never get an oil change anywhere else again. You don't even have to get out of the car, and they get you in and out of there fast. You can even pay bills on your phone while they're changing your oil.

Set up your bills on autopay whenever you can. Easy peasy.

Stop watching Netflix for a while. I actually had to cancel my debit card and order a new one, and I forgot to change my info with Netflix. My account got canceled, but rather than getting online and updating my information, I went without it for a few months. Once I turned it back on, I found that it was like getting it for the first time again rather than being such a bore.

Old 08-03-2016, 10:21 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Everyone has errands, but there are ways to mitigate the amount of time spent. We get a TON of stuff via Amazon Subscribe and Save. You can pick delivery dates and frequency. This has really cut down on the number of errands as well as the amount of time spent at the grocery store or Target. I don't know why more people don't take advantage of this service. It's easy, goods are usually cheaper and it saves time. Win, win, win!

Old 08-03-2016, 11:50 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times
I don't think of going to the grocery store as an errand. It's an excuse to get out of the house. (I work from home.)

Some groceries are left on our doorstep by Amazon Fresh.

Our veterinarian comes to us, not the other way around. She parks her van in front of our house.

No dogs, no children, no elderly parents living with us.

I pay everything with online bill pay.

My van uses diesel and only needs a fill-up once a month.

I never make to-do lists. To-do lists just make me feel stressed. I do things as they need doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology