Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 12:56 PM

19,999 posts, read 13,475,998 times

Advertisements

As many have pointed out, the answer to the OP's question depends on your definition of "friend".

If your definition involves "someone who really cares about me and loves me and loses sleep over any concerns they have about my happiness and welfare" then no, FB relationships are not generally friends, particularly if you don't know them in real life.

Remember that "friends" and "friending" is simply terminology (brilliantly) concocted by FB's inventors. If you strip away all the BS, "friending" someone is simply getting them to accept you on a list of known people who are FB members. It is, inherently, nothing more than a contact list. Using loaded terminology like "friend" in place of "contact" turned it into a social reciprocity competition, which allows the leverage of guilt and anxiety to compel people to seek and accept (and be reluctant to undo) "friend requests" that otherwise wouldn't "matter".

The rise of social media (not just FB) has diluted the meaning and significance of what constitutes "friendship" or "relationships", emphasizing quantity over quality and depth of commitment. I daresay that many have no real experience of what friendship can be, and that is, to me, sad, given that even before social media, widespread feelings of alienation and isolation were already problematic.

Last edited by mordant; 07-30-2016 at 01:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 01:23 PM

12,962 posts, read 13,676,205 times
I used to think of a friend as someone who would think I was remiss if my car broke down 20 miles outside of town 11:30 sunday night and I didn't call them first. The beauty of facebook is you could just post that you need assistance and some one who you only know causally might show up to help. I think facebook has created digital communities of people. Friends that you share the most friends with are your own community.

Old 07-31-2016, 11:18 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Is this a real question?

Old 08-04-2016, 11:17 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,189,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxieBolt View Post
I only have people I actually know and speak to on a regular basis on FB. So yes.
This.

Old 08-04-2016, 11:40 AM

12,962 posts, read 13,676,205 times
People I see regularly I don't have as FB friends. I stop and talk to them when I see them, talk on the phone or have mutual friends to pass on info to. I try to stay caught up with my actual friends. It’s the people who I know pretty well but never get a chance to see that are some of my best "FB" friends.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:24 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
Years ago, a so-called "friend" told me that I "had" to get a FB page because "everyone was doing it"; this arrogant a-hole and I are no longer on speaking terms.

And, anyone out there who posts too much personal info. on FB is asking for trouble:

Five Hidden Dangers of Facebook - CBS News

Seven Reasons That Facebook is Dangerous for Your Mental Health

Just How Dangerous Is It To Share Your Information On Facebook?

The Dangers of Facebook Oversharing
LOL, were there other reasons he was an "arrogant a-hole" and "so-called friend, " or just because he was enthusiastic about social media?

Old 08-05-2016, 10:37 AM

4 posts, read 2,031 times
Only to the other 500 people on your popularity contest list. #winning!

Old 08-05-2016, 02:58 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,093,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
Heck I only really know only two or three people on my facebook but really do Facebook friends count as friends?
Um...it depends. It's really complicated.

Old 08-06-2016, 02:13 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,140,200 times
Some may have been friends at one time, but we have drifted apart. I get great pleasure out of posting fb rants and annoying people I once hung out with, but have no regard for anymore.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:09 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,525,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
Heck I only really know only two or three people on my facebook but really do Facebook friends count as friends?
I'm not on Facebook but I'll use CD for example.....

The way I look at it is.... The people I talk to on here I think would I or wouldn't I like to meet them in real life and have a drink with?..... If so then yeah I'd class then as friends
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology