Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2016, 04:00 PM

283 posts, read 327,565 times

Advertisements

USA drops bomb on Japan, Japanese never the same again

Soviets do heinous things to Germans in WW2, Germans never the same again

Mexican vs Black race wars in LA, Mexican gangs do unspeakable things during this time period. Blacks in LA never the same again

The Spainard colonization of Latin America, Spainards still rule that region to this day

European conquering of Native Americans. Enough said. Natives have never been the same since

Always amazes me how one group could physically and mentally dominate a group to the point where they even refuse to fight back and are never the same again. What leads to this?

For example, Isreal was obviously colonized by Jewish people but them and Arabs are still going at it to this day

In the examples i gave, the defeated outright refuse to even fight back

Feel free to add more history buffs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 10:29 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,839,279 times
Add to your list: BRITISH INVASION OF INDIA.

Even though we managed to make them leave, Indians have changed forever. I believe it could be stockholm syndrome. Light skin preference, stressing proper english, respect for authoritarian leadership are few qualities that became deeply engrained among Indians. Always looking upto the masters/authority & copying them rather than be self-starters. Politicians understand this enslaved mindset & abuse the masses to the fullest. Its easy to get brainwashed because the self confidence was crushed during slavery & it will take few more generations to build an independent society.

Old 07-31-2016, 12:58 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,707,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonBradu View Post

Mexican vs Black race wars in LA, Mexican gangs do unspeakable things during this time period. Blacks in LA never the same again

The Spainard colonization of Latin America, Spainards still rule that region to this day

European conquering of Native Americans. Enough said. Natives have never been the same since

Always amazes me how one group could physically and mentally dominate a group to the point where they even refuse to fight back and are never the same again. What leads to this?

For example, Isreal was obviously colonized by Jewish people but them and Arabs are still going at it to this day

its easier to give up than to keep fighting.

Old 07-31-2016, 08:54 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,248,805 times
Quote:

I'm not taking a stance on this issue, but aren't you contradicting yourself above?

If one of the groups above dominated the other .... how come they're "still going at it"?

Old 08-01-2016, 05:58 PM

283 posts, read 327,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
I'm not taking a stance on this issue, but aren't you contradicting yourself above?

If one of the groups above dominated the other .... how come they're "still going at it"?
I'm saying that the conflict in Isreal is ongoing. The Arabs haven't been mentally conquered yet. Meanwhile, the other conflicts I listed are cases of other groups being mentally defeated

Old 08-01-2016, 06:01 PM

28,665 posts, read 18,775,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
Add to your list: BRITISH INVASION OF INDIA.

Even though we managed to make them leave, Indians have changed forever. I believe it could be stockholm syndrome. Light skin preference, stressing proper english, respect for authoritarian leadership are few qualities that became deeply engrained among Indians. Always looking upto the masters/authority & copying them rather than be self-starters. Politicians understand this enslaved mindset & abuse the masses to the fullest. Its easy to get brainwashed because the self confidence was crushed during slavery & it will take few more generations to build an independent society.
I'm not an apologist for European colonization, but India appears to be a special and unique situation, with the most significant feature being that it is an enduring democracy under conditions that ought to have mitigated otherwise long ago.

How much of everything you've said is really because of the English, and how much--including the success of democracy--is native to the Indian cultures?

Old 08-02-2016, 03:31 PM

5,520 posts, read 8,766,208 times
Quote:
Nope they're not the same. The Japanese lost -- and put all the money they would have spent on bombs into developing a powerhouse economy that drove the US auto industry into bankruptcy. I'd say they're not the same. they're better off -- even with their current sluggish growth. Though China rising might make them rethink disarmament.

True. But since WW II the Germans managed to delegitimize Nazism and also build the most powerful economy in Europe, while the Soviet Union collapsed, and Russia is in a prolonged recession. So who really cares if the German are not the same? They're probably better off than they were in 1939.

????????

No, the Spanish language rules. The countries are independent. And the Incas, Aztecs, and all the rest fought back ferociously for the most part. But they didn't have guns or immunity to European diseases. Big difference there.

Same as with Latin America. Indians may have had the numbers and fought hard, but they didn't have the guns or immunity to European diseases.

The Middle East wars aren't over yet so we don't know who will "win" that one. But for the foreseeable future, the side with the better weapons -- meaning the Israelis -- are likely to continue to dominate unless some country decides to nuke Tel Aviv. then they'll have the superior weapons. And remember that numbers are at play here too. Israeli settlers are having babies galore.

I don't know what "unspeakable" things you're referring to with blacks and Mexicans in LA outside of gang violence --which happens a lot of places. Anyways, changing urban demographics seems out of line with your other much much bigger examples.

But being conquered means, by definition, you can't fight back 'cause you've lost the war, or at least the battle. Changed demographic, economic, or military circumstances, however, can mean a new fight down the road, as happened with many nations in sub-Saharan and Francophone northern Africa. With the European powers weakened from WWII many former colonies eventually got their independence. They hadn't "given up" before then. But when many saw the chance to successfully fight back, they did.

Last edited by citylove101; 08-02-2016 at 03:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology