Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 10:16 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,885,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
But the penis pump would work though in my research. So if it would work, then why is it silly? You said that a penis pump is never used and that I should do my research, but in my research, the best way to give a man an unwanted erection, is through a penis pump. But yes I can research more.

I could write it so that the man gets an erection with her, even though he does not want her. However, her main character victim, gets revenge on her later, so is the reader going to get behind his revenge and root for him, if he got an erection with her, and she didn't have to physically force it?

It seems that they may be able to feel for the character's revenge more, if he his erection was physically forced maybe. Plus the rapist kidnapped her main victim with a gun, so would a man really get an erection if he was tied up, and the perpetrator had a gun?
I never said that (bolded above). I just said it was unnecessary and silly.

I still think the "best" way to give a man an unwanted erection is to manipulate him so that his body responds even if he doesn't want it to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 10:23 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,885,194 times
Quote:
Okay thanks. I don't mean to give the impression that I aim to be insensitive about it. I always want to be sensitive when writing about controversial subject matter. I was wondering what gave the impression that I was being insensitive about the premise, as well as the autistic serial murderer from before?

I do want to explore the themes of the victimization of rape, and not just use it as plot device. I want to use it as a theme, and explore the theme.

What am I doing to put the cart before the horse exactly?

I would like to do more research but victims have gotten offended before when asking them about it, and that is understandable. If the internet is not a good place to research such a thing, where else could I go for such a thing?

You must be very young. You seem to think that "research" of a topic means looking on the internet (which is just a cursory fishing expedition at best) asking people questions on discussion forums (which is unreliable at best), and directly asking questions to victims of crimes (which is probably intrusive and unwelcome).

Anyone who is not under 30 would know that you go to a LIBRARY and do some hardcore research. A good research library at a university, not a small town library where people mostly check out fiction books. A good research library will have lots of access to academic journals where there will be study after study and paper after paper about any topic you choose, especially topics involving human behavior.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:43 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,066,827 times
Okay thanks. I can do that. I will check out the library.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:37 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,435,302 times
Quote:
Okay thanks. But her main victim gets revenge on her for his victimization. If the main victim is not raped, would the reader get behind his revenge, when he goes after her and possibly kills her? I thought that rape would motivate him into going that far.
You are still not getting it.

Yes, you are using rape as a plot device.

The majority of rapes committed on males are committed by other males. Women raping men is a blip on the radar.

Sounds like you are trying to write another "Gone Girl" or some kind of MRA fiction where the man gets revenge on the big bad wimmins in his life. Does not sound intriguing at all.

Old 08-30-2016, 01:31 PM

Okay thanks. I don't mean to use rape as a plot device but as a theme device, since the subject matter is the theme I wanted to explore. It's a plot device as well, since it drives the characters' decisions, but primarily I intend it to be a theme device.

You say I am still not getting it, but what I am not getting exactly?

Old 08-30-2016, 10:38 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,435,302 times
Quote:
Okay thanks. I don't mean to use rape as a plot device but as a theme device, since the subject matter is the theme I wanted to explore. It's a plot device as well, since it drives the characters' decisions, but primarily I intend it to be a theme device.

You say I am still not getting it, but what I am not getting exactly?
Ok, I don't know if you're being deliberately obtuse or what, so I'll ask these questions: Why do you want to write yet another book about a man who kills a woman? Why write yet another book that involves violence against women? Why write yet another book that uses rape to move the story forward -just because you're flip-flopping the gender roles? Why write yet another book that takes a horrible crime (rape/murder) and uses it "thematically"? What is your purpose? What is the end goal? It has been done again and again and again, so what would possibly make your story better/more interesting/more readable than all the others that have already been published.

Old 08-31-2016, 03:22 AM

I didn't write a book before about violence against women. I scrapped that idea before, and came up with this story instead, later on. But I didn't go through with the previous one back then.

Well in many fiction stories, crimes are used thematically to tell a story, and there have been many revenge stories, yes. Mine is one which I came up with, and that's what I was planning on doing. I wasn't planning on doing anything very mindblowingly original, I just wanted to write a genre entertainment.

I didn't think of it as an MRA fiction though. It's a story about revenge and consequences, and I did not intend for it to be statement on mens' rights' activism. I did consider my story to be anything like Gone Girl either. In Gone Girl, the villain arguably won in the end, which is different from mine as well.

Old 08-31-2016, 01:26 PM

50,701 posts, read 36,402,571 times
Aside from the points already made, I do not think an audience is going to get behind this guy taking the law into his hands and murdering a woman who raped him. In real life, you go to jail for exacting revenge, as you should. And yes, if the case were reversed, audiences would not cheer for a woman to murder someone for rape, either.

The whole story, with penis pump etc, is really very far-fetched. I don't know that it has ever happened, do you? Most men who are raped are penetrated by other men.

Old 09-03-2016, 04:05 AM

Well I researched ways for a man to get erect against his will or by force, and the penis pump was the best way. It's better than drugs, cause with drugs, the man still has to be in the mood somewhat for the drugs to work.

In this case of a rape, where the guy is clearly not in the mood, and does not consent, the pump would work a lot better than drugs, cause the pump will cause an erection to happen by the laws of physics, rather than having to chemically be in the mood. It is the most plausible way, at least in my research.

Technically if a man was knocked out, a penis pump would still work, as long as the blood was still flowing throughout the body.

As for the reader getting behind the man's revenge, the reader is not suppose to fully. The revenge doesn't go as planned, and the main character learns from it, as well as the villain learning from her deeds.

So I wasn't planning on it being a complete black and white revenge story, where the reader is suppose to fully get behind the victim turned avenger.

Old 07-23-2017, 05:38 PM

29,210 posts, read 22,341,507 times
I tend to think the subject matter is too unsavory to ever be very popular, but you might want to do some research on
Aileen Wuornos. She was a very rare serial killer who killed her male victims violently, and may have raped some of them.

Mopst women who murder serially prefer to use poison or some other less violent means. Wuornos liked to shoot and stab her victims. She once claimed she raped some of them, but she was crazy as a peach orchard boar and said many contradictory things.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aileen_Wuornos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology