Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2016, 01:46 PM

876 posts, read 812,623 times

Advertisements

Most in the mental health profession would conclude that losing interest in things that you used to enjoy is a symptom of depression.

In the last 5 years, I've lost all interest in entertainment like movies, sports, and television. Active hobbies like golf and bicycling don't really do anything for me. This all happened within the span of about a year.

I feel like I'm no longer able to be sucked into the plot of a movie or TV series. The last one that I was really into was Breaking Bad. I watched it right up to the end of season 4, and never watched another episode, and don't even know what happened in the series finale.

Since then, it seems like every movie or show I watch is unrealistic and/or overly melodramatic. Professional sports are repetitive and most likely manipulated if not outright fixed.

I feel like I now see these things for what they really are. My focus is completely on other more practical things, like making a living and trying to elevate my station in life.

About 5 years ago, I had a life-changing health issue that completely leveled the table. Nothing is the same. I believe the term is called post-traumatic growth.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 10:07 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
I disagree completely with the mental health professionals. Dropping old activities is in some cases a sign of maturity and growth. Lets say you gave up getting drunk or cheating on your spouse. Or it could just be that you just don't enjoy it anymore. I gave up golf, and I don't miss it at all. If you gave up going to new movies or sports or TV I'd consider that a good sign There really isn't much there that's any good. Lots of people aren't going to movies anymore and have pulled the plug on cable.

Don't bother much with the Psychology experts. They can't cure anyone. Most of them got into it for self help because the reality is that they're a mess themselves. Hardly the experts in what is "normal."

Old 08-22-2016, 01:07 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Losing interest in previously cherished things can certainly be a sign of depression. But (especially in the case of things of the sort that you are referencing, i.e. pop culture, observational hobbies), it can also just be that interesting content isn't really getting put out, so why should it interest you?

Sometimes, you lose interest in something because you replaced it with something else that interests you more. That's not indicative of depression. Losing interest in ALL things that once interested you, and NOT replacing them with new interests would be more apt to be a sign of depression.

Old 08-22-2016, 05:09 AM

19,958 posts, read 13,450,937 times
A lot of popular culture serves to distract and numb rather than to inform or even really to entertain. The general trend in my six decades has been away from it. I've also dropped a major hobby. None of this has tracked with my mood or attitude.

As long as you find purpose, meaning, and at least some pleasure in something, the fact that the "something" isn't the same as it's always been, doesn't by itself speak to your mental health.

You mention a "life changing" health issue that was traumatic (given that you regard your present situation as "post traumatic"). Has this reduced your scope of what is possible, and does it limit you presently? Do you have particular feelings about it? Health challenges can force us to confront our own mortality and other assumptions about the nature of existence, and this can change one's perspective for both good and ill, depending on how you respond. That may be what is rendering previous priorities and things you occupied yourself with to be no longer interesting. Also if that event was emotionally devastating in some way it can leave you with a blunted emotional landscape that doesn't respond well or in the same way as it used to.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:19 AM

807 posts, read 1,032,468 times
Not enjoying things you used to enjoy is not a sign of depression. It's called change. I too can barely stand watching tv any longer, I just find no interest in most programming. However, there are other things I now enjoy that I never did.

But if nothing makes you happy, then maybe you are depressed. Or maybe you haven't found anything that makes you happy.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:21 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
Losing interest in activities you used to engage in might be a symptom of depression, but only if there are other signs and symptoms too. And usually it involves not just losing interest, but not being able to enjoy things that used to be enjoyable.

Since you seem to be saying you don't have other symptoms of depression, and maybe you're just shifting your priorities as you mature, then no, in your case it would not be a symptom of depression. We often change our priorities and interests as we move through life.

Don't ever assume that one symptom or state means a diagnosed condition. For example, I might be experiencing muscle pain and weakness today. Muscle pain and weakness is a symptom of the Flu, but also of serious conditions like Lyme disease, Multiple Sclerosis, etc. But in my case, I was moving heavy stuff in my basement yesterday. See--it's a "symptom" that has a whole other explanation.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:43 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1eutian View Post
Most in the mental health profession would conclude that losing interest in things that you used to enjoy is a symptom of depression.

In the last 5 years, I've lost all interest in entertainment like movies, sports, and television. Active hobbies like golf and bicycling don't really do anything for me. This all happened within the span of about a year.

I feel like I'm no longer able to be sucked into the plot of a movie or TV series. The last one that I was really into was Breaking Bad. I watched it right up to the end of season 4, and never watched another episode, and don't even know what happened in the series finale.

Since then, it seems like every movie or show I watch is unrealistic and/or overly melodramatic. Professional sports are repetitive and most likely manipulated if not outright fixed.

I feel like I now see these things for what they really are. My focus is completely on other more practical things, like making a living and trying to elevate my station in life.

About 5 years ago, I had a life-changing health issue that completely leveled the table. Nothing is the same. I believe the term is called post-traumatic growth.
I have a hard time committing to most TV shows, and I don't care to see most movies. Some of my reasons correspond to yours. Most network TV is dreck, IMO.

As long as you are finding somethings to hold your attention, then I think you are not depressed. If you were depressed, you would not be actively trying to elevate my station in life.

I've never heard of post-traumatic growth, but it stands to reason that this would be a phenomena that would occur after experiencing a life changing health challenge.

Old 08-25-2016, 03:30 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
I've done a lot in my 78 years and NOW, I'm content if I find a good LifeTime movie to get into. Watching re-runs of 2-1/2 Men still make me belly laugh. Laughing at the Family Feud shows. Watching some of my political shows, but that is getting OLD.

I've had hobbies, I've collected, now I'm collecting my stuff in bags for goodwill.

Keeping up with maintaining my good health except for bodywide OA. Grrrrrrrrrrrr

Old 08-25-2016, 03:56 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I disagree completely with the mental health professionals. Dropping old activities is in some cases a sign of maturity and growth. Lets say you gave up getting drunk or cheating on your spouse. Or it could just be that you just don't enjoy it anymore. I gave up golf, and I don't miss it at all. If you gave up going to new movies or sports or TV I'd consider that a good sign There really isn't much there that's any good. Lots of people aren't going to movies anymore and have pulled the plug on cable.

Don't bother much with the Psychology experts. They can't cure anyone. Most of them got into it for self help because the reality is that they're a mess themselves. Hardly the experts in what is "normal."
Can those really be considered activities?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Losing interest in previously cherished things can certainly be a sign of depression. But (especially in the case of things of the sort that you are referencing, i.e. pop culture, observational hobbies), it can also just be that interesting content isn't really getting put out, so why should it interest you?

Sometimes, you lose interest in something because you replaced it with something else that interests you more. That's not indicative of depression. Losing interest in ALL things that once interested you, and NOT replacing them with new interests would be more apt to be a sign of depression.
Good point. The OP hasn't stated whether he has any new interest or hobbies.

Old 08-27-2016, 10:39 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,838,552 times
There have been phases in my life when I lost interest in activities I enjoyed like tennis but I have reconnected with my interests multiple times. Sometimes it was lack of access or responsibilities. I have seen this happen to my friends as well especially when they get married or have kids. Your focus shifts to more important things & after you have addrssed those for a few uears, maybe you will reconnect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology