Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 03:53 PM

455 posts, read 388,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lan Di View Post
Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right place but a I have a question that is very important to me, that would seem to belong in this section.

I would like to ask if it is possible to overcome bodyimage issues without having surgery.

My problem is I was born in a country where circumcision is not common, therefore I am uncircumcised.

I moved to the United States at a young age, and quickly discovered through media, rumors etc.that many women would find me unacttractive for being uncircumcised.

My question is; is there any way to overcome my insecurity about being uncircumcised without having to have the opearation?

I have posted this question before in the relationships forum.

I really would like to exahust all other options before I decide on getting this operation.

I don't really mind being uncircumcised, it's just my cultures opinion (eg. appearing more americanized)that would lead me to make the decision to have this operation performed.
You should do what makes you feel the most comfortable but as a woman with lots of woman friends.....none of us have ever been turned off (pardon the pun) by an uncircumcised partner. I can safely say this was more of an issue for them than for us.

I will also add that many families in the U.S. have made the decision to NOT circumcise their babies because they are choosing to not remove something that the package came with. It's unnecessary.

Maybe you could speak to a therapist to see if this body image stems from some other place. I mean if you do operate is that really going to fix all of your problems??

Best of luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 04:20 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times
IF I were a man & I wanted to do it; I would. But if I were a man & DIDN'T want to do it but some woman DID want me to do it; I think I would rather lose the woman than my foreskin.

Since I AM a woman I can say that this would not even factor in to my finding a man attractive or not. Ideally I would find a man attractive BEFORE I saw his penis anyway.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:27 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,081,106 times
If this is a make or break for a woman to be attracted to you, then she's got other issues you should worry about rather than if your richard is circumcised or not.

Old 08-24-2016, 06:29 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
pay attention to what all these wise women are saying

I was cut

and can only remember one woman asking .....which I found kinda ironic after visiting her promise land...

you are overthinking this....

`

Old 08-24-2016, 07:34 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cayennev8 View Post
You should do what makes you feel the most comfortable but as a woman with lots of woman friends.....none of us have ever been turned off (pardon the pun) by an uncircumcised partner. I can safely say this was more of an issue for them than for us.

I will also add that many families in the U.S. have made the decision to NOT circumcise their babies because they are choosing to not remove something that the package came with. It's unnecessary.
We chose not to. We had no cultural tradition around the practice either way, and preferred to avoid elective surgical procedures.

Old 08-25-2016, 05:07 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times
Quote:
Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right place but a I have a question that is very important to me, that would seem to belong in this section.

I would like to ask if it is possible to overcome body-image issues without having surgery.

My problem is I was born in a country where circumcision is not common, therefore I am uncircumcised.

I moved to the United States at a young age, and quickly discovered through media, rumors etc.that many women would find me unattractive for being uncircumcised.

My question is; is there any way to overcome my insecurity about being uncircumcised without having to have the operation?

I have posted this question before in the relationships forum.

I really would like to exhaust all other options before I decide on getting this operation.

I don't really mind being uncircumcised, it's just my cultures opinion (eg. appearing more Americanized) that would lead me to make the decision to have this operation performed.
Consider yourself fortunate for not having this atrocity carried out on you. Genital mutilation is a barbaric practice that has been done to both boys and girls for too long. They should be left as Nature made them. What is taken away, is important to protect delicate parts from damage. It's a type of branding, just as cattle have the icon of a ranch burned into their hides.

But if a woman is in a position to see you in the way you suggest, she would not likely be thinking that it was a shortcoming. She'd be occupied with the positive benefits it was providing her. And here's a tip: (no pun intended) when it has assumed its launching position, you can't easily tell one way or the other.

Old 08-25-2016, 06:28 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
There are whole segments of the USA culture that aren't circumcised. Fuggetaboutit.

Old 08-25-2016, 01:16 PM

19,994 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Also, as a woman, I'll just say that I never had any strong preferences regarding this in a partner one way or another. It may not be as big a deal as the OP fears.
^^^ This.

It's all in between people's ears ... what women think of (un)circumcision as well as what males think of it.

My wife and I each have biological sons and we didn't circumcise them. In all honesty, I have felt that being circumcised has decreased my ability to enjoy sex and to perform sexually, as it has a tendency to make one uncomfortably oversensitive at just the, er, critical moments. From what I have read, males with an intact g l a n s tend to have a better overall experience. But apart from that, both my wife and I just felt that leaving nature alone is generally the better way to go. Both of us of course had to educate our sons on proper hygiene in ways that we wouldn't have had to if they were circumcised, but this is a pretty minor issue.

So I would not advise the OP to have any sort of operation just because of some questionable concern that "most" women will find it weird. And as someone else pointed out ... do you really want to be with a woman who is that incredibly superficial??

Old 08-26-2016, 01:11 AM

14 posts, read 8,073 times
Thank you everyone, I appreciate the support.

What are some techniques I can use to get the insecurities out of my head and what is a good way to ignore negative comments I might hear in movies etc.?

Old 08-26-2016, 05:16 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Quote:
Thank you everyone, I appreciate the support.

What are some techniques I can use to get the insecurities out of my head and what is a good way to ignore negative comments I might hear in movies etc.?
The same way you ignore comments and opinions about politics/politicians or food preferences or whether or not it's better to live in the Northeast or Southwest that you don't agree with
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology