Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 01:53 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Being around people or people watching is fine, as long as I am not asked to interact with them much. I can go to a hugely crowded football game or whatever and not be bothered, but stick me in one of those group things where people have to shake their neighbors hand or tell a little about themselves, ugh! Sometimes I'd like to be invisible to people who don't know me, unless I chose to make myself visible to them.

this is SOOOO me.... I am perfectly content with my own company.... I do have a few good friends that I enjoy getting together for dinner with every now and then, though.....

oh... and as a middle aged woman, I have turned largely invisible to the rest of the world anyway......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 03:00 PM

559 posts, read 1,394,894 times
Sometimes at work I get tired of hearing the same stories over and over (don't you hate it when someone starts to tell you a story as if they're telling you for the first time and they expect you to be surprised or amused at what they say, but they forgot that they told you that same story at least once before?) or listening to negativity and pettiness from certain people, or the same complaints over and over.

Or just listening to constant talking from extroverts who have to think out loud or narrate everything they're doing or just constantly talk.

Sometimes when I'm at home I don't even want the radio on. I just want quiet because I've been listening to people talk all day.

I can relate to what DubbleT said about crowds. I usually like being in crowded places, but I can't stand that forced interaction - those 'icebreakers' - where you have to have a forced conversation with one person or a small group.

I can relate to what OptimusPrime69 said about happy hour. I used to go to happy hour but I don't anymore. I don't feel like sitting there and drinking, nodding and listening while people talk and talk, trying to have a conversation over the loud music.

Group conversations can sometimes be especially draining if you have to wait for a pause so that you can try and get a word in edgewise while everyone else is interrupting each other, talking over each other, and cutting each other off. But sometimes one-on-one conversations with certain people can be like that too - waiting to get a word in edgewise while they talk and talk nonstop.

Old 08-28-2016, 03:21 PM

34 posts, read 33,960 times
If my both my jobs didn't require me to be around people I wouldn't mind it. You get to see some real pieces of work and experience situations that belong on a reality show. That being said, you get to interact with people who seem kind as well. It's just the other types are normally louder so it seems like there are more of them...

Old 08-28-2016, 04:06 PM

127 posts, read 90,655 times
I don't care to be, but that is because I'm an introvert, and I need/want a lot of alone time. I don't mind working, of course. However, outside of a job, I usually keep to myself.

Old 08-28-2016, 04:35 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
Slight extrovert here. People are ok but I need a lot better sound proofing. Kids toys on street and dogs barking too much, at times. Sometimes great, need soundproof oxygen chamber and float tank just for me.

Old 08-28-2016, 05:22 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue
Anyone in the same boat as me?
ME!!!!!

I dont like the robotic morons of today!!!!!!!!

I stay inside 99% of the time!!!

Old 08-28-2016, 06:10 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,250,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Overall, I just don't care to deal w/ people on a regular basis. The cashier ringing my items up at the store is one thing. That's the only kind of contact I prefer to have w/ people honestly.
When I worked for one of the biggest companies in the world, I worked in a 10 story building, which had a cafeteria for lunch. I would always pay cash there and the cashier would always try to cheat me out of part of my change. I would have been perfectly happy to never see her again. A very annoying person. I'm not sure she was even pocketing money. She might have just been cheating people for fun. That's the kind of person she seemed like. So it's not necessarily true that it would make sense to only talk to a cashier. If the cashier were her, I would rather talk to nobody than to only talk to her.

Old 08-28-2016, 06:22 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,250,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
yes. im in your boat. not a fan of people to be honest, give me a cute puppy instead.
If you're not a fan of people, does it imply you would rather have a cute puppy than a cute baby? Is it really because you're more a fan of dogs than people, or is it really more because babies come with more strings attached? Strings such as if you absent-mindedly leave your puppy in a supermarket, you can retrieve it and it's no big deal. But if you do it with a baby, you will be investigated by social workers. Is that the reason to prefer a puppy to a baby? Or is it really because you're more a fan of dogs than people? Maybe because dogs don't harass you with small talk and gossip? But babies don't do that till they're older. Maybe it's because dogs are easier to toilet train. Or they can keep up with you when you're jogging, even when they're very young. And you will never have to help them with their homework, even when they're older. But how are dogs better than other animals, such as cats, fish, etc.?

Old 08-28-2016, 06:33 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,432,221 times
I'd say social isolation is pretty unhealthy, though I can tolerate it far better than most people can.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:54 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,707,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
If you're not a fan of people, does it imply you would rather have a cute puppy than a cute baby? Is it really because you're more a fan of dogs than people, or is it really more because babies come with more strings attached? Strings such as if you absent-mindedly leave your puppy in a supermarket, you can retrieve it and it's no big deal. But if you do it with a baby, you will be investigated by social workers. Is that the reason to prefer a puppy to a baby? Or is it really because you're more a fan of dogs than people? Maybe because dogs don't harass you with small talk and gossip? But babies don't do that till they're older. Maybe it's because dogs are easier to toilet train. Or they can keep up with you when you're jogging, even when they're very young. And you will never have to help them with their homework, even when they're older. But how are dogs better than other animals, such as cats, fish, etc.?
yes, yes and yes. dogs are unconditional lovers and much less expensive and you're right about the 'legal obligations' they're a mess, no thanks.

just more of a dog guy, have nothing against cats fish etc, i love them too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology