Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 08:47 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,607,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Me! I'm totally serious. I'm an only child who's led a pretty solitary life & never had many friends. Regarding my career life, I have the skills to be a teacher & most recently a speech therapist, which is the work I've started back doing now, but I tell you, if I could work at home forever, even if it means making $1000/mo less (or just be able to afford to live moderately), I'd do it! I don't like dealing w/ anal bosses & smug coworkers.

I don't have social anxiety or anything, although I try to stay away from crowds when I can because it feels nicer & I can walk around more freely. For ex, I'll go to an amusement part on a Monday rather than Sat. If it's a movie theatre, I don't care quite as much, but it's still better when there's less people. I think any place is better w/ LESS PEOPLE.

Overall, I just don't care to deal w/ people on a regular basis. The cashier ringing my items up at the store is one thing. That's the only kind of contact I prefer to have w/ people honestly.

In my personal life, I haven't seen my extended family in many years...NOT because we don't get along. We just have our own things going. I have a couple of friends I may get together w/ for lunch maybe once a year if even that. I have my parents, well most recently, just mom, since my dad passed away & she & I were always close. I have a long-time significant other & have a great, fun time w/ him. That's all I need.

Anyone in the same boat as me?
Yes, I can relate. I'm an only child, so I'm used to spending a lot of time alone also. I work from home two days a week (which I enjoy), so on the other three days, I go into the office and see my coworkers. I interact with a couple of them about non-work related stuff (e.g. we may have lunch together one day out of the week). On the weekends, I see my parents but other relatives I see maybe every few months and on holidays. I do go on dates sometimes (the last one was in early July), but other than that, I spend most of my time with my cat. My next door neighbor likes to talk when she catches me outside, but I usually try to keep our interactions really brief. I have a vacation coming up soon, so I'll have some interaction with people during my trip, but I'm not going with the purpose of interacting with people and will mostly be doing things on my own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 10:18 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
We all need people n our life. We can tell ourselves we don't, but I don't think life works that way.
I think for a lot of us here that isn't the case. Many of us really don't need people, or at least our need for people is minimal. I don't think a lot of extroverts 'get that' very well. It's not a case of telling ourselves we don't need people because we're socially awkward, can't make friends, or whatever reason people project on us. We genuinely find that interacting with or being around other people can be draining. I'm much more content with my own company than when in the company of others.
(the crowd thing, that's because it's easy to be invisible and alone in the middle of a crowd, no one notices you, lol)

Old 08-29-2016, 11:50 AM

264 posts, read 250,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
Slight extrovert here. People are ok but I need a lot better sound proofing. Kids toys on street and dogs barking too much, at times. Sometimes great, need soundproof oxygen chamber and float tank just for me.
Yes. This. Somewhere in my neighborhood there is also a guy I hear vomiting multiple times every day beginning in the early morning. (My building is too close to other buildings...need to get out.)

Old 08-29-2016, 11:58 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
A lot of people are toxic these days so why hang with them. Hard to find positive, no toxic folks.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:04 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I'm for the most part an extrovert. I can strike up a conversation, with a stranger like no one I ever met. I generally enjoy interacting with people. I was an airline employee before I retired a few years ago. So being able to deal and talk to the masses was easy for me. It was also a requirement for the job. Something happened in retirement though. Something I am not liking about myself. However I understand the trigger. I'm in Florida and my desire to interact, though still there has diminished. FLorida has-been the trigger for this desire to avoid people now. I have nothing in common with the retirees, or the general population in this region of Fla . Or for that matter Florida at all. I never realized that living here would feel so limited. One has to have some level of like minded people around to socialize and interact with. I don't seem to find those type here. It is so conservative and relgious here, that I feel like a fish out of water.

So I guess for me. I don't care to be around people on a regular basis right now. However I am well aware much of this feeling, is out of character for me. Much of this feeling definitely began shortly after moving to Florida. Buying into a retirement community. Being exposed to many closed minded people, with inactive lifestyles. The regional culture doesn't seem to fit me. Actually I'm thankful it doesn't. Its not my culture and it's a dominant one here. Everything is eat unhealthy, get absolutely no exercise. Go to church then talk about going to church. One would think there would be a
broader range of people in Florida. Evidently that is not the case. So it's no wonder I have developed I don't want to be around people. I Feel completely out of place.

So I'm caught in the middle on this subject. I cant retire here or I will become completely anti social. I'm having to face reality. America is very divided by who we are, as to where we can live. So I'm going to be making other plans in life. Thankfully I have enough sense to realize it has to be done.

We all need people n our life. We can tell ourselves we don't, but I don't think life works that way.
You could come out here to Vegas. Lots of people retire here. We don't have an ocean, and it's hotter than hell, but the cost of living is low and we have a myriad of people from all over the place. You'd never lack for someone interesting to meet.

I don't recommend this place to many people, but you might want to look into it.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:17 PM

F*cking leaf blowers no matter where I move in CA can't work from home no more F**k have job interview now and have to deal with this shiate.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
You could come out here to Vegas. Lots of people retire here. We don't have an ocean, and it's hotter than hell, but the cost of living is low and we have a myriad of people from all over the place. You'd never lack for someone interesting to meet.

I don't recommend this place to many people, but you might want to look into it.
I have considered it just for cost, could buy house with cash but then what to do deal cards?

Henderson, AC, less bros on roads, and a decent job in sales outta here.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:23 PM

696 posts, read 904,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Me! I'm totally serious. I'm an only child who's led a pretty solitary life & never had many friends. Regarding my career life, I have the skills to be a teacher & most recently a speech therapist, which is the work I've started back doing now, but I tell you, if I could work at home forever, even if it means making $1000/mo less (or just be able to afford to live moderately), I'd do it! I don't like dealing w/ anal bosses & smug coworkers.

I don't have social anxiety or anything, although I try to stay away from crowds when I can because it feels nicer & I can walk around more freely. For ex, I'll go to an amusement part on a Monday rather than Sat. If it's a movie theatre, I don't care quite as much, but it's still better when there's less people. I think any place is better w/ LESS PEOPLE.

Overall, I just don't care to deal w/ people on a regular basis. The cashier ringing my items up at the store is one thing. That's the only kind of contact I prefer to have w/ people honestly.

In my personal life, I haven't seen my extended family in many years...NOT because we don't get along. We just have our own things going. I have a couple of friends I may get together w/ for lunch maybe once a year if even that. I have my parents, well most recently, just mom, since my dad passed away & she & I were always close. I have a long-time significant other & have a great, fun time w/ him. That's all I need.

Anyone in the same boat as me?
You may have scitzoaffective disorder.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:06 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
Invisible to the rest of the world? Haha, is that how most middle age women feel?
Not at all!

Middle aged women - or for that matter, anyone male or female - who put themselves out in the world and who cultivate relationships are far from invisible.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:53 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tar21 View Post
You may have scitzoaffective disorder.
That's just silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology