Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 09:51 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise of virtue View Post
I hate people. Talking to them, being around them, it annoys me. If I could be alone 100% of the time, I would. Too bad thats not an option right now.
This is called misanthropy, a very different condition from introversion.

I am fairly introverted. I am very socially able, but after a couple of hours of human interaction in a day, I am content to not speak a word for hours while I read, hike, work in my workshop, ride my bike, work on my car, etc.

I am not sure whether extroverts actually have any hobbies apart from constant, inane banter. Just kidding extroverts, you are alright in my book. Just don't look down on me for employing the 'Irish Good-bye' (the French Exit, the Dip, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2016, 12:00 PM

776 posts, read 580,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
You'd like it where I live then. Our un-official motto seems to be Mind Your Own Business. It's one of the few things I like about this place.
I'm relocating now, I thought of NV but may sites say the crime is very high, in general I like the west for this though. In the Midwest, co-workers, neighbors, even strangers are always in my business and find me weird when I think that's invasive. As for the online socialization, I agree, I also wish in real life we had a socialization pause button we could use, or more times, an ignore button.

Old 09-03-2016, 02:01 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,978,563 times
OP back again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanker View Post
I'm a true loner. I go to my job, a job that requires minimal human interaction. I come home to be by myself and often will not speak a word until I get back to my job. I'm not saying this in a complaining way. Thinking back, I was like this as a kid too. I wanted to be in my room, reading or drawing or playing my guitar and I was fine with that. It's a lot like that now. I find being around people very draining.
Hey, nothing wrong w/ that! Now some people would say, that's not good, but who's to say that? I've always done what you do too: Stayed home after getting home from school &/or work & just relax! All I need after a long day is good TV & good food!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Draining is the word that many of us who need a lot of alone time have used over and over in this thread. I find this interesting. I wonder if we like message boards because we can still have meaningful conversations, but on our own timelines and terms?

I belong to several discussion boards, but really active on 2 or 3. I LOVE them. I get REAL people's opinions & comments on things, either for fun or research purposes if I'm wondering what to do about a situation. Plus, there's (a minimal amount or zero) judgment on discussion boards & no assumptions about me due to how I may look, etc. I get unbiased opinions about things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothere1 View Post
Know exactly what you mean! There is something wrong with you if your a loner? No, I just don't feel the stupid need to gossip about stupid things other people have done that are none of my business. Also I don't need the constant approval of other that I notice a lot of social people need. If you ask me I think the more sociable people need to take a look at themselves before judging us less sociable. I hate busier cities but I love the way people don't know everything about what you did that day.
Yes, like FB (Facebook) to me is mostly the place where attention-starvers love to go to to get approval, attention, love, etc. because inside, they're either empty shells, discontent w/ their lives, etc. I know of a few people (not friends) who just love to post every little thing/picture, etc. on FB. Obviously their lives are too boring, unhappy, unfulfilling for them.

For ex., my SO's brother's wife told her own husband on FB, "Happy 5th Yr Anniversary!..." Um, they both live together, so why can't she just say that to him in the privacy of their own home when they wake up in the morning?! Because...she "needs" everyone posting comments such as: Congrats, love you guys, happy 5th, etc., etc., etc. The wife puts on a facade on FB like their marriage is so great. That's very hard to believe when I've known how my SO's brother is for over 20 yrs & all the things he's done that I'm sure she doesn't even know about.

My SO's other brother's spouse must be so incredibly bored because she posts EVERYTHING on FB: Woke up early/late, drank some coffe today, etc. So what!

I'd love to see FB down for at least a good week. Certain people will think the sky's falling, ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
...Hell for me is a cocktail party filled with meaningless chit chat. Maybe for you, too?
Glad to say, I've never been invited to a cocktail party & I don't feel I'm missing anything.

Old 09-03-2016, 04:06 PM

248 posts, read 194,434 times
I like my own company. I like people, but only if I have a choice to exit if I so desire. Being a creative type person I can be greedy w/ my time.

Old 09-04-2016, 01:02 AM

1,481 posts, read 1,225,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by composter View Post
I like my own company. I like people, but only if I have a choice to exit if I so desire. Being a creative type person I can be greedy w/ my time.
I'm pretty similar to the above.

My friends know not to bother sending me birthday messages on FB, because I probably won't see them for a while and I don't see why the world needs to know that you've wished me a happy birthday.

Old 09-05-2016, 02:50 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
I'm this way... I very much want a wife and kids though and I'm working on bettering myself but still I'd rather either find another loner introvert woman or an extrovert who doesn't mind my quietness. I don't want to sit and gossip all day about mundane things going on in other people's personal lives. I don't even care if I talk about things I'm interested in.. I'd rather cuddle up with my sweetheart and watch a movie, or play some board games with my future kids.

All the women on the dating sites... hyper outgoing.

I don't "hate" people though, I'm neutral towards them and my personal development continues to make me more open towards other people's views, still that doesn't make me a social butterfly who wants to spend all day talking about the things in other people's day to day lives, sports, etc.

Women who are like this don't really have any issue... in fact they are quite highly desired by many men, and can simply walk around in public and have men approach them (though having GOOD men approach them can be another thing, since many nicer men don't cold approach the way some of the game players do) , however men who are like this have a problem... they can be incels, outcasts to women, who largely all chase and have sex with the same small pool of ultra outgoing, over confident witty men. It's the 80/20 rule.. 20% of men are bedding 80% of the women with many men having bedded literally well over 100 women, often bedding a few of them at any given time. If every man had a number over their head showing how many women they've slept with, it would probably change the way women look at dating men forever, yet they'd still probably bed them because it's all about stimulating a woman's emotions and getting her "excited" and being "fun"

Old 09-05-2016, 07:01 PM

Find myself agreeing w/ so many on this topic. I avoid toxic people, places, etc. I do not go through life w/ blinders on. I like people and have appropriate social skills. I am well liked and after years I have learned to set my boundaries. Those whom get angered are not true friends and what I refer to in my own mind as users/abusers. I have not ever been rude to another intentionally, although my dry humor is often misinterpreted. Ask me what I mean rather than going off and slandering to others about me.
I am mostly an introvert. I abhor fb as it is no one else's business what I am doing in life.
Thank you to the one starting this thread and now I know I am not alone-pun intended.
If I had an abundance of money I would be called eccentric-need I say more.

Played w/ my grand children so too tired to mount soapbox.

Peace and Blessings to others reading this post.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:03 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
Smart, multifaceted, high IQ people are my kind. Let's talk world politics, philosophize about life for 2-3 hours and then go back to posting on CD

Old 09-05-2016, 10:15 PM

Sounds grand minus world politics. Quickest way I know of to meet enemies. I have no view on things that cannot seem to be fixed or changed.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:13 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,978,563 times
OP back again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I'm this way... I very much want a wife and kids though and I'm working on bettering myself but still I'd rather either find another loner introvert woman or an extrovert who doesn't mind my quietness. I don't want to sit and gossip all day about mundane things going on in other people's personal lives. I don't even care if I talk about things I'm interested in.. I'd rather cuddle up with my sweetheart and watch a movie, or play some board games with my future kids.

All the women on the dating sites... hyper outgoing.

I don't "hate" people though, I'm neutral towards them and my personal development continues to make me more open towards other people's views, still that doesn't make me a social butterfly who wants to spend all day talking about the things in other people's day to day lives, sports, etc....
Well, I hope you find your special lady & the two of you are like two peas in a pod. I'm so glad I found my love! Neither of us really has friends (about 1 each of the same gender that we don't see that often), we're not partiers, attention-starvers, can enjoy the simple things in life, don't go w/ the flow of others just because everyone else is doing it, aren't drinkers/smokers. The only big difference is, I'm an only child & he's 1 of 4, but he's the black sheep of his family in a very positive way & he's fed up w/ their character anyway.

I think a couple tends to stay together longer if they're alike ("birds of a feather flock together"), as opposed to opposites (as in "opposites attract"). In my opinion, the whole opposites thing may be exciting at first, but then I can see how one person will soon tire of the other because that person will find they'll have to compromise & can't be their true self & therefore, not truly content. But, of course, it doesn't always work out like that.

Quote:
Find myself agreeing w/ so many on this topic. I avoid toxic people, places, etc. I do not go through life w/ blinders on. I like people and have appropriate social skills. I am well liked and after years I have learned to set my boundaries. Those whom get angered are not true friends and what I refer to in my own mind as users/abusers. I have not ever been rude to another intentionally, although my dry humor is often misinterpreted. Ask me what I mean rather than going off and slandering to others about me.
I am mostly an introvert. I abhor fb as it is no one else's business what I am doing in life.
Thank you to the one starting this thread and now I know I am not alone-pun intended.
If I had an abundance of money I would be called eccentric-need I say more.

Played w/ my grand children so too tired to mount soapbox.

Peace and Blessings to others reading this post.
You're welcome, I'm glad I started this thread as well! Thank you & peace & blessing to you too.

Quote:
Sounds grand minus world politics. Quickest way I know of to meet enemies. I have no view on things that cannot seem to be fixed or changed.
I tend to think this way too because my little opinion sure won't change the world. There would have to be millions of people who thought the same way I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology