Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 11:40 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I don't see a lot of bullies. I see a lot of emotionally weak people who can't deal with people who don't agree with them or don't feel a need to baby people.
Same here.

Old 09-09-2016, 02:21 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I don't see a lot of bullies. I see a lot of emotionally weak people who can't deal with people who don't agree with them or don't feel a need to baby people.
Well I hope your willing to voice these type of strong opinions in real life. I think that's the crux of this thread people are bold online in insulting and harassing others but are a bunch of timid mice off the internet.

Old 09-09-2016, 02:55 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
My Gosh, I cannot believe how hostile, angry and nasty people are...even in this forum....
It seems the way to answer people is with a personal attack....?

I've seen tons of people on news articles, go ballistic, and mean....I'm amazed at how angry people are....it's no wonder our children are growing up to be bullies.

There was this one couple, who had saved their birthday cake, that a news station reported on, and women, literally 50 or more, came into the article and instead of saying, Happy Anniversary and leaving it at that, they had all kinds of personal insults towards that couple for keeping the cake in the freezer that long?????

My God, what is wrong with people? Why are they so angry...nasty and hostile towards others? It seems people don't know how to be decent any more?

Wow, I'm utterly amazed at the language, the hate, the complete lack of compassion and kindness towards others.

anyone else noticing this? I mean, they come into threads and leave personal insults that has nothing to do with the subject matter?

Has social media done this? Is it easier to be mean then to be nice or say nothing at all?
Recently I commented about this sort of thing taking place on this forum, and was quickly put down in the next post. I posted back that the response was an example of what I had posted about! So many of us are so opinionated and judgmental. It is as if we feel that everyone should have the same opinions and viewpoints as we do. What a boring world that would be!

I agree with your post.

Old 09-09-2016, 03:37 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,977 times
I haven't been here long but I think this forum is about the most civil one I have encountered in a very long time. Kudos to the majority here who help make and keep that so.

I know what you are talking about though, especially with online news comment forums - although when the comments are about a political story I think some of those who are the worst offenders may be paid trolls (sad as it may seem, I understand that has become a real 'career choice' over the past couple or so of elections). They are paid to be as rude, annoying and provocative as possible - and by golly, many of them are very good at it. It certainly does not make for productive conversation though.

I don't do any social media (other than a couple of forums) so I am not really qualified to say what happens there but there is a reason I don't ... I have heard it would not be good for my spirit (or my blood pressure).

All that said, while there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever what some rude people are trying to do online, I do see some people misinterpreted by some others on occasion. Sometimes it seems that they just have a very curt posting style and that can irk some or it may be that they just omitted an emoji so their post was taken literally when they meant it some other way.

And honestly, there are moments when it is very tempting even for a normally very polite person such as myself to throw out some response in what seem like obvious troll type threads. I have bitten my tongue a few times - and when I did answer, tried hard to be less cutting, but even I may have crossed the line (as far as some are concerned) once or twice. I don't swear and try not to come across as belittling, mind you .. but I cannot say some have not perceived what I said the wrong way.

Anyway, the internet is a like a drug that brings out the very worst in some people unfortunately. They can only hope that what they do out here won't come back to bite them in the keister some day .. and we can only hope it will.

Old 09-09-2016, 04:01 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,251,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
I was reading the Oklahoma news and there were three murders, but none were by blacks. So it's a pretty safe bet, no one on CD will make a thread over those crimes.
How safe a bet is depends on how risky it is. The more you bet, the riskier it is. But I doubt you have to worry. It's not likely you're about to make a risky bet or anything.

Old 09-09-2016, 05:10 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,927,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
My Gosh, I cannot believe how hostile, angry and nasty people are...even in this forum....
It seems the way to answer people is with a personal attack....?

I've seen tons of people on news articles, go ballistic, and mean....I'm amazed at how angry people are....it's no wonder our children are growing up to be bullies.

There was this one couple, who had saved their birthday cake, that a news station reported on, and women, literally 50 or more, came into the article and instead of saying, Happy Anniversary and leaving it at that, they had all kinds of personal insults towards that couple for keeping the cake in the freezer that long?????

My God, what is wrong with people? Why are they so angry...nasty and hostile towards others? It seems people don't know how to be decent any more?

Wow, I'm utterly amazed at the language, the hate, the complete lack of compassion and kindness towards others.

anyone else noticing this? I mean, they come into threads and leave personal insults that has nothing to do with the subject matter?

Has social media done this? Is it easier to be mean then to be nice or say nothing at all?
This started long before social media; that just makes it easy for nasty people to vent their poison anonymously. I am such an old creaker that I can remember the day when the behavior you are describing was pretty rare. We started going down this path in the 60s and 70s, that's when I recall really noticing that people were changing, kindness and patience and tolerance becoming less and less important. And now here we are. It may be our materialistic and competitive culture that produces people like this.

Old 09-09-2016, 06:27 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
This started long before social media; that just makes it easy for nasty people to vent their poison anonymously. I am such an old creaker that I can remember the day when the behavior you are describing was pretty rare. We started going down this path in the 60s and 70s, that's when I recall really noticing that people were changing, kindness and patience and tolerance becoming less and less important. And now here we are. It may be our materialistic and competitive culture that produces people like this.
Then to, maybe individualists, the me, me generation
nice post, thank you

Old 09-09-2016, 06:29 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post
I haven't been here long but I think this forum is about the most civil one I have encountered in a very long time. Kudos to the majority here who help make and keep that so.

I know what you are talking about though, especially with online news comment forums - although when the comments are about a political story I think some of those who are the worst offenders may be paid trolls (sad as it may seem, I understand that has become a real 'career choice' over the past couple or so of elections). They are paid to be as rude, annoying and provocative as possible - and by golly, many of them are very good at it. It certainly does not make for productive conversation though.

I don't do any social media (other than a couple of forums) so I am not really qualified to say what happens there but there is a reason I don't ... I have heard it would not be good for my spirit (or my blood pressure).

All that said, while there is absolutely no doubt whatsoever what some rude people are trying to do online, I do see some people misinterpreted by some others on occasion. Sometimes it seems that they just have a very curt posting style and that can irk some or it may be that they just omitted an emoji so their post was taken literally when they meant it some other way.

And honestly, there are moments when it is very tempting even for a normally very polite person such as myself to throw out some response in what seem like obvious troll type threads. I have bitten my tongue a few times - and when I did answer, tried hard to be less cutting, but even I may have crossed the line (as far as some are concerned) once or twice. I don't swear and try not to come across as belittling, mind you .. but I cannot say some have not perceived what I said the wrong way.

Anyway, the internet is a like a drug that brings out the very worst in some people unfortunately. They can only hope that what they do out here won't come back to bite them in the keister some day .. and we can only hope it will.

have to laugh b/c when I first came online, I was so naieve and was unable to express myself, and if someone attacked me I was dumbfounded...hurt and it just tore me up inside...lol
but the years have made my skin very thick, so that now, I don't care what people think of me.....

Old 09-09-2016, 06:45 PM

997 posts, read 937,346 times
Sticks and stones can break your bones,
Words can only hurt you.
If you insult sweet mother Jones
She might decide to curse you.

This would cause a bit of pain
The sky won't drop a bit of rain
Dry milking pail, crops that fail
That sounds just like a fairy tale.

But why risk it?

Old 09-09-2016, 07:04 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Well I hope your willing to voice these type of strong opinions in real life. I think that's the crux of this thread people are bold online in insulting and harassing others but are a bunch of timid mice off the internet.
Actually, I do. It makes me the odd man out in real life but I'm used to it now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology