Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2016, 07:11 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,967,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Each relationship has to decide where that line is..
You & yours may be great with you helping him out the door..

I would not want someone doing that..
My wife and I do this to each other when either of us leave, or even when both of us leave. I'd rather take the few extra minutes to go through the checklist then find out that I rushed out the door a bit soon and forgot something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 08:45 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
My husband is very detail oriented at work but at home he's like the absent minded professor. He puts things down and forgets where the left them constantly. I do the same thing before mine heads off to work. I ask if he's got his work keys, his phone etc.

I don't get why some posters have to turn the simplest little acts of caring into a major thing. It's not a big deal to ask if your husband has everything he needs before he leaves for work. It takes a minute out of our lives and saves our loved ones a lot of unnecessary stress.
Not if they don't know where anything is.

Old 09-11-2016, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
If a person knows that it bugs the other person to be harped on constantly about lights, drawers & cabinets then the nagger should shut [bleep] up about such unimportant things..
That is thoughtful too...
Who's harping constantly? Not me. In fact, I rarely mention these things at all because it does not one bit of good.

However, our fridge harps (which is sort of funny to me). My husband often leaves the fridge door slightly ajar. You know what happens? A little beep goes off about 60 seconds after the door is left open - just enough time for him to wander out of the kitchen and sit down in the living room. So then he has to get back up to make the fridge door stop beeping.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-12-2016 at 10:17 AM..

Old 09-11-2016, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I have to admit that it would annoy me to have somebody ask if I've got my phone and wallet. Of course I've got my wallet. Who would leave without it?

As to the phone, I sometimes intentionally choose not to lug it along. I may want to unplug or I may be going somewhere where it could be stolen. If I intend to make or receive calls or have some other need for it then I'll make that decision on a case by case basis but it's hardly required equipment.
But what you don't seem to understand is that some people MEAN to and WANT to carry their wallets and phones with them but not only often forget them, till they're down the road, but who often can't find them once they realize they don't have them.

I'm serious - and these are otherwise intelligent, thoughtful, competent people - like my husband.

Old 09-11-2016, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
If the person who opens them doesn't close them, who will?

It's like they say, clean socks and undies don't hop into the drawer by themselves, and doors and drawers don't close themselves either.

This is exactly the point some people are making - that apparently either 1) the person leaving the drawers and doors open REALLY doesn't mind living with drawers and doors open all over the place, or 2) they expect someone else to close them.

For someone who prefers doors and drawers to be closed, as God made them to be , this can be perpetually, albeit mildly, irritating. Sort of like Chinese water torture.

Old 09-11-2016, 08:55 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Who would leave without their wallet? My husband! And his phone and he WANTS and needs to have both of those things with him when he goes out. He can't function on his job without people having access to him via his cell phone. If he could drive away without his car keys, he would probably do that, too. lol

You aren't the type of person who would need someone to even mention those things. Neither am I. So yes, that would be annoying.
Okay, I hear you. I had an ex who was extremely disorganized. I tried to be supportive (had many extra sets of keys made, replaced jewelry and watches, would bring her things at work, stuff like that) and was never critical or judgmental. However, it just created more rage on her part so we eventually had to split up.

Old 09-11-2016, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Well, as in the case of my side of the bathroom or closet, no one. Or me, when the cleaning ladies are coming (to streamline things for them).
Why close them for the cleaning ladies but not for the person you share a home with? I mean, if it's OK to leave them open, hell, just leave them open all the time.

Old 09-11-2016, 09:01 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Since I live alone, nobody. Or, sometimes me.
Okay, I understand.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I'm not a neatnik but it drives me nuts not to be able to find things, so I learned to take an extra second or two to keep things where I can find them.

Old 09-11-2016, 09:01 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Why close them for the cleaning ladies but not for the person you share a home with? I mean, if it's OK to leave them open, hell, just leave them open all the time.
So they can clean and also not snoop through my crap.

I don't know the layout of your bathroom, but my wife never has to go near my side. So I'm not sure why they'd bother her.

Old 09-11-2016, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
So they can clean and also not snoop through my crap.

I don't know the layout of your bathroom, but my wife never has to go near my side. So I'm not sure why they'd bother her.
Well, I can't speak for your wife, and wouldn't presume to, but I'll speak for myself, and my husband and our shared bathroom. We have a long vanity with two sinks. Plenty of room for us both to stand but we're side by side. Doors under each sink, and three drawers between the two sinks.

It would bug the mess out of me to walk into that bathroom and see the drawers or doors open and him nowhere in sight. Thankfully, he rarely does this, and when he does, it's simply because he got distracted doing something else. He's not a perpetual door and drawer leaver opener. He just OCCASIONALLY leaves them open, nearly always because he was in the middle of digging around and got distracted with something else. Which is why I don't generally say anything to him. That doesn't mean I smile warmly whenever I see a drawer or door open - it just means I don't hate on him when I do. I just generally sigh and close it myself - but if it was a perpetual thing, it would irritate the mess out of me.

I thank God every day that in spite of his absent minded ways, he is generally a very neat and clean person. It's one thing to live with someone who is absentminded but thoughtful. It's altogether different to live with someone who is sloppy and doesn't care that it bugs other people in the home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology