Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2016, 03:08 PM

17,385 posts, read 11,892,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
This is kind of just a funny thing, but I also truly wonder about it. I've known some people who always, not just "often" but always, leave drawers partly pulled out, cabinets partly opened, and closets partly opened.

I remember I had a teacher in high school who always left her desk drawers pulled out 1-2 inches. Students would make jokes about it, and she would say that she does it at her house too, and her husband was always going around closing them.

Throughout the years I've worked with, or been friends with, people who I noticed do the same thing. Like the friend whose bedroom closet is NEVER closed, and whose drawers are always open.

Then I lived with a partner for 12+ years, and he was like this. Every bedroom drawer: open a few inches. Closet door: open. Bathroom cabinet: opened just enough so that the magnetic latch won't connect. Kitchen cabinets: same. He moved out a few years ago, and ever since, I've made sure every cabinet door and drawer are closed. It take just as long and just as much effort to close the all the way as it does to close them part-way. He and I are still friends and when I go to his house: all open. He happens to be sloppy, but the other friend I mentioned above was not sloppy; everything seemed to be in its place at her house, but nothing was ever shut.

My ex was just at my house this week, and he had to get out scissors for something, and after he left, I found the damned kitchen drawer open about 1 inch.

Do you know someone like this? What do you think it is? It could just be carelessness, but to do it almost 100% of the time, to me, take some effort. It's almost like a rare OCD thing.
Many years ago, a college friend of my ex came to visit for a week or so. He NEVER closed a cabinet door or drawer. Ever. I spent a few days silently closing doors and drawers, to avoid hitting them in the dark. The final straw was when I walked in to find him in the middle of his other weird habit: staring out the picture window, calmly brushing his teeth, stark naked. Buh bye. He was sent packing right away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2016, 03:23 PM

17,385 posts, read 11,892,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, that's fair enough!

My husband has an area - the top of his dresser - that generally looks like a bomb went off on it. The top of my vanity looks like a a piece of glass - because that's what it is. I don't like the look of his dresser top but I don't ever say anything about it for several reasons:

1. It's his one area of clutter.
2. It's not in a living area of the home, but in our bedroom, which is private.
3. He doesn't say anything about my stack of magazines on the ottoman in the living room and the tower of books on my side of the bed.
I swear we're married to the same man. LOL

I think a lot of my husband's "nothing in its place" mentality is that he's usually deep in thought, or doesn't want to think after a hard day of work. He's a person that just puts things down where he happens to be walking past. I put things where I've decided they belong. Neither of us is right or wrong. And if I find something of his where it's in my way, I just put it on the huge pile on his dresser.

And whenever I feel myself getting frustrated because he doesn't do things "my" way, I remind myself that a) I'm sure I do lots of things that drive him nuts, and b) someday, when he's no longer here, I will miss finding his things randomly around the house.

Old 09-13-2016, 03:28 PM

4,370 posts, read 7,020,569 times
It annoys me when people leave their desk drawer handle so extremely loose that it's literally about to fall off, and don't take a few seconds to tighten the screw in back.

And when business owners / custodians leave public toilet seats extremely loose and floppy, and never tighten the screw underneath, using a coin.

Old 09-13-2016, 03:42 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,795,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Thankfully this is not part of our problem. My husband tends to be neat and clean but just very disorganized - and he's always, always working on organizing something - the garage, his nightstand, his closet, his suitcase, his toolbox, his truck...you name it. He always keeps them neat, but disorganized if that makes sense.
I didn't read all your posts but this is a classic description of ADD and back in the day Ritalin would have fixed this problem. I know it's controversial and perhaps now there are different choices.

The half life is short.

My son was EXACTLY the same way and found real relief being able to organize his Christmas gifts like baseball cards by the end of the day when he tried using it on Christmas one year....instead of just math tests. Prior Christmases he'd be upset and frustrated after spending all day and not achieving his goals.

Old 09-13-2016, 04:20 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,177,647 times
I do the drawer and cabinet door thing but it is mostly the cabinets. I have no idea why I do it. My father says my mom is the same.

I live alone so who would I be rebelling against? Myself?

And drawers, I do it because I have trouble with the pulls, knobs or whatever a lot of the time...or they are overstuffed.

Old 09-13-2016, 04:42 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,876,497 times
People who leave drawers open are opposite of OCD. They simply don't notice or don't care.

People who hate open drawers are much closer to OCD, especially if they have a compulsion to close the drawers.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:14 PM

67,666 posts, read 60,218,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
People who leave drawers open are opposite of OCD. They simply don't notice or don't care.

People who hate open drawers are much closer to OCD, especially if they have a compulsion to close the drawers.
So people who leave everything open are normal, but people who close doors and drawers which are designed specifically to be closed are abnormal?

Uh huh.

Old 09-14-2016, 03:39 AM

513 posts, read 732,076 times
I don't like closet doors open in my bedroom--I think it goes back to my childhood, when I thought some "boogeyman" would come out at night.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:45 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,683,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Many years ago, a college friend of my ex came to visit for a week or so. He NEVER closed a cabinet door or drawer. Ever. I spent a few days silently closing doors and drawers, to avoid hitting them in the dark. The final straw was when I walked in to find him in the middle of his other weird habit: staring out the picture window, calmly brushing his teeth, stark naked. Buh bye. He was sent packing right away.
I know, right? I mean, why does he have to brush his teeth there?

Old 09-14-2016, 07:56 AM

44,257 posts, read 64,067,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyst View Post
I don't like closet doors open in my bedroom--I think it goes back to my childhood, when I thought some "boogeyman" would come out at night.
No...you can't close them.
Haven't you read The Boogyman by Stephen King?

I haven't shut a closet door since I was in the 6th grade.

http://www.scasd.org/cms/lib5/PA0100...0Boogeyman.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology