Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2016, 08:54 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,695,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yes, PLEASE do the world a favor and hook up with someone who either 1) has the same habits or 2) doesn't mind living in chaos.
But what happened to "opposites attract" and "he's the Yin to my Yang"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 09:16 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
My house is as neat as a pin despite a few open cabinets. I took a photo to prove it to you..

http://www.absolutelyprabulous.com/w...5078604718.jpg

Old 09-20-2016, 10:06 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
I think of this thread every time I walk into my kitchen or bathroom and see drawers and cabinets open. Hasn't done much to change my errant ways, though.

Old 09-20-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I think of this thread every time I walk into my kitchen or bathroom and see drawers and cabinets open. Hasn't done much to change my errant ways, though.
haha..
I think I leave a few more open Because. I. Can.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:26 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
But what happened to "opposites attract" and "he's the Yin to my Yang"?
I don't know - I'm not in a relationship with those dynamics, thankfully. My husband and I are more similar than dissimilar, and while he is VERY forgetful (about things I'm not forgetful about), we have the same expectations and comfort level when it comes to the house being neat and clean.

He occasionally leaves a cabinet door open in the kitchen if he gets distracted but that's only maybe once or twice a month, not every day - he doesn't leave drawers and cabinet doors open on a regular basis.

I mean, we have differences of course - we are different people after all. For instance, I'm much more organized than he is, but he's much more perceptive than I am. The similarity is that in some ways, we both have our heads in the clouds - just not at the same time - LOL.

I don't do the "opposites attract" thing - it's never worked for me.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:50 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
haha..
I think I leave a few more open Because. I. Can.
Typical...

Old 09-21-2016, 10:52 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I don't know - I'm not in a relationship with those dynamics, thankfully. My husband and I are more similar than dissimilar, and while he is VERY forgetful (about things I'm not forgetful about), we have the same expectations and comfort level when it comes to the house being neat and clean.

He occasionally leaves a cabinet door open in the kitchen if he gets distracted but that's only maybe once or twice a month, not every day - he doesn't leave drawers and cabinet doors open on a regular basis.

I mean, we have differences of course - we are different people after all. For instance, I'm much more organized than he is, but he's much more perceptive than I am. The similarity is that in some ways, we both have our heads in the clouds - just not at the same time - LOL.

I don't do the "opposites attract" thing - it's never worked for me.
Sounds like a good marriage!

Old 09-21-2016, 12:50 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Sounds like a good marriage!
I think it is! Thanks.

Old 09-26-2016, 05:58 PM

See !!

Studies show messy people and those who swear may actually be smarter and more creative

Old 09-27-2016, 09:59 PM

4,197 posts, read 4,449,313 times
Hmm. I missed this one. Let's break it down shall we?

Contributing variables:
1) training in childhood (some are simply not trained to - poor follow through)
2) living situation in formative years (sole dwelling versus shared dwelling) Oscar Madison with out someone to badger will still be Oscar Madison throughout life. Generally shared dwelling environments will necessitate consistent practices in this regard before an intervention takes place (or clear llines are delineated on territory responsibility - )
3) conscious perpetrator (leaving a drawer open an inch because it sticks or locks or there is some inherent knowledge of said mechanism being slightly annoying to reopen when closed altogether) ;
4) or conscious perpetrator who leave it how you found it - it may have been in same position when encountered so I leave it that way (i.e. well trained in formative years to leave it as you found it)
5) versus unconscious perpetrators who may not have good follow through when closing a drawer with hip action or perhaps don't want to cause noise slamming something shut. [I have to reminisce here about a apartment dwelling neighbor who must have been a clod or lacked all manner of deftness as the cupboards in the kitchen could be heard constantly slamming shut!]
6) cognitive awareness default - not a priority - no blood no foul mentality i.e. if I'm the only one who is visually impacted I don't care
7) purposeful with thought (a door to closet to enable ventilation - a door to bathroom without proper ventilation to prevent mildew after shower/bath - insert whatever logical reason in mind
8) purposeful with malicious thought ; shared living situation and perpetrator KNOWS just how much it annoys other occupant (perhaps passive / aggressive if it only seems to happen in certain moments with noticeable patterns of behavior)
9) not purposeful and totally ambivalent to the conditions about them. Mind wanderers.
10) defective hardware mechanisms (kitchen cupboards which can't close all the way drawers or retractable cutting board or desk writing board with some insignificant piece of debris in glides or locking device which is misaligned etc..
11) possible ghosts/ paranormal activity??

I think I covered most scenarios and possible reasons. Funny thing with the defective hardware mechanisms is they usually they get fixed after someone hurts themselves bad enough!

Personally, as single person, most of time certain doors are always slightly ajar - walk in closet, master bathroom - (no ventilation); hallway bathroom (if no guests are visiting), or the one drawer in kitchen with the sliding tray drawer within drawer is never totally closed just because it saves a step for access by keeping a slight gap; that sticky top dresser drawer with socks never seems to be flush.

I recall in youth admonishing my mom for leaving upper kitchen cupboards open due to danger of banging one's head into them (which my mom and other members of family did on more than a few occasions). The other was those under the counter drawers (usually utensils etc..) never failed she'd get black and blue mark from an occasional clipping foul firmly bumping into an open drawer corner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology