Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2017, 12:37 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,583,340 times

Advertisements

It's inconsiderate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 02:53 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,528,589 times
When one looks at some of the research, leaving drawers and cabinets open is often or sometimes correlated with Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), distractibility, and attention span.

Last edited by matisse12; 07-30-2017 at 03:30 PM..

Old 07-30-2017, 03:39 PM

8,583 posts, read 15,948,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
When one looks at some of the research, leaving drawers and cabinets open is often or sometimes correlated with Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), distractibility, and attention span.
Agree with this...it's not an issue of being inconsiderate.

Old 07-30-2017, 03:39 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,551,673 times
Quote:
For me, I believe, is that I have arthritis in my hands/wrists and some of the drawers in this old apt stick so I don't want to deal with pulling hard to open the drawers. I don't think it's being inconsiderate and for me I'm the only one in my apt. I would not keep a drawer open so one could trip over it. Including me.

Old 12-23-2018, 06:22 PM
Sg4

1 posts, read 2,305 times
I do this in my kitchen and my family is constantly on me about it. Same thing what that guy said, I’m not consciously leaving them open and I only notice it when I go back in the kitchen and I’m always like “woah omg did I really leave 4 cupboards open what the heck” and it’s not like I blacked out It’s just that I’m not actively not shutting cupboards.
My theory is ear sensitivity. When I’m stressed or my anxiety is high, my senses are in like overdrive. My mom works days so I usually have the house to my self and it can be really quite in my house sometimes so any sudden loud noise sends like a shock wave through my body. Not like any loud noise but just very sudden noises irritate me. It’s not like an inconvienience or a pain, it’s just that I’d rather not have the shock go through my body.

Old 12-23-2018, 06:33 PM

102,055 posts, read 106,836,948 times
Quote:
This.

Old 12-24-2018, 09:19 AM

23,154 posts, read 26,041,602 times
Just had new cabinets put in and see they have 'self closing drawers and doors.
Must be a more common problem than we realize if manufactures have addressed it

Old 12-28-2018, 11:18 AM

431 posts, read 348,665 times
Quote:

Do people with those disorders also leave their front doors open? What about the refrigerator door? Oven door? I think it is more just minor laziness.

I have ADHD but I am also kind of a neat freak and keep my house clean and tidy. I have left a drawer open while in the kitchen cooking but after doing the dishes and putting them away I always close all the drawers and cabinet doors.
My ex was short and used to leave cabinet doors open all the time and I would get on her about it. One time we were both in the kitchen and I bent down to get something out of a lower cabinet while she opened the upper cabinet above me. Of course, she left the door open so when I stood up I banged my head on the door. She never left a door open again after that!

Old 12-28-2018, 01:39 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,648,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackopotamus View Post
Do people with those disorders also leave their front doors open? What about the refrigerator door? Oven door? I think it is more just minor laziness.

I have ADHD but I am also kind of a neat freak and keep my house clean and tidy. I have left a drawer open while in the kitchen cooking but after doing the dishes and putting them away I always close all the drawers and cabinet doors.
My ex was short and used to leave cabinet doors open all the time and I would get on her about it. One time we were both in the kitchen and I bent down to get something out of a lower cabinet while she opened the upper cabinet above me. Of course, she left the door open so when I stood up I banged my head on the door. She never left a door open again after that!
I don't know about anyone else, but yes, my husband has been known to leave doors to our house open Once, he flew to NJ, where I was, to drive back home with me. When we arrived, I noticed that he had left our back sliding door open a couple of inches!

Old 12-28-2018, 06:55 PM

9,196 posts, read 10,967,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
I'd say the person who is concerned with closed drawers is the OCD. The person leaving the drawers partly open is definitely non-OCD. No mystery there.
HA! Once again a pressing C-D problem is solved in the second post!

Someone is definitely concerned about someone's else's drawers. That's not normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology