Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2019, 03:06 PM

177 posts, read 130,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Sorry but I see a direct correlation between leaving cabinet doors open, leaving closet doors open, and lights on, misplacing stuff on a daily basis, etc. And why not close the refrigerator door? Nope, sorry, I don't think this is generally the reasoning. I am not sure there IS any reasoning involved.
I agree. There is no reasoning that we can figure out. We were hoping someone could shed some light on what makes these people tick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 03:15 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,002,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JF2U View Post
I agree. There is no reasoning that we can figure out. We were hoping someone could shed some light on what makes these people tick.
For me I can tell you a few things...

It is worse when I am stressed or very focused on something else. Sometimes my mind is 10 steps ahead
and just not thinking about what I am doing. When I drive if I am deep in thought I can miss a very familiar exit or turn.
I am a terrible multitasker. An example of this is that if I am talking to someone on the phone
I cannot drive safely at the same time. All my focus is on the conversation.
But I can problem solve better than most people. I can often see solutions immediately
that others can't see.

Old 03-24-2019, 03:27 PM

177 posts, read 130,244 times
Default Focus

Ok, so if focus is part of the issue that says something...lack of attention aka ADD. I dont think that is the whole root of the problem, but probably is a part of it. Thank you for explaining your thoughts based on what happens in your situation. Very enlightening!

Old 03-24-2019, 03:30 PM

324 posts, read 387,189 times
Wow, there are a lot of folks with too much time on their hands here on CD!

Old 03-24-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walessp View Post
Wow, there are a lot of folks with too much time on their hands here on CD!
Pretty condescending.

Why do you care if others are discussing something of interest to them ??

Old 03-24-2019, 06:49 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,547,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestuser69 View Post
You all are way over thinking this...it's done to prevent the associated noise involved with the opening or shutting of said drawer or cabinet door...likely they were trained at some point in their life by a light-sleeper or nit-picker when accidentally making noise getting in and out of these places. My opinion.
Sometimes it is. I was raised like KA. Before I moved in here I could not fathom not shutting a drawer or something like that. But, I also was taught to use 'minimum force'. There are so many times a pen clicks applies to everything. All these actions are wear and tear. And of course the noise factor. That part may be different. I was taught to shut things in a way that protects them from harm and people's ears from harm.

To this day I hear a door slam and think were you raised by animals?

But anyway, the whole upstairs neighbor thing. DS people can hear everything. When this thread came along I noticed two of my dresser drawers are not completely shut because they require a bit of force (noise) and I have been newly trained to avoid THAT at night, and habits become habits even in the day.

But I am absent minded too. Shutting everything and turning off light switches had to be drilled into me and they have to happen on auto-pilot or they won't happen.

I will turn off lights when I leave a room and other people in it are like hello? I'm all sorry. Habit! I also lock doors to the outside from habit. Auto-pilot locks a door to the outside the moment it's shut. This can annoy people as well. Hello? You forgot me? LOL no, habit!

I am bad in the other direction to. A little bit ADD perhaps. I go to the pantry for one thing, end up seeing something else I want to do and then SQUIRREL! I leave the kitchen w/o my original intended item and am focused on something else. I will actually reach for the thing and then be like, oh I never got it. SIGH.

Take two! Attempt to get something from the pantry and return with it. Sit down. GD the kitchen light is on. SIGH. Get up again.

Old 03-24-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I go to the pantry for one thing, end up seeing something else I want to do and then SQUIRREL! I leave the kitchen w/o my original intended item and am focused on something else. I will actually reach for the thing and then be like, oh I never got it. SIGH.

Take two! Attempt to get something from the pantry and return with it. Sit down. GD the kitchen light is on. SIGH. Get up again.
haha. I sure do this too..

Old 03-24-2019, 07:02 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
For me I can tell you a few things...

It is worse when I am stressed or very focused on something else. Sometimes my mind is 10 steps ahead
and just not thinking about what I am doing. When I drive if I am deep in thought I can miss a very familiar exit or turn.
I am a terrible multitasker. An example of this is that if I am talking to someone on the phone
I cannot drive safely at the same time. All my focus is on the conversation.
But I can problem solve better than most people. I can often see solutions immediately
that others can't see.
Thanks for the insight into one possible scenario!

Doesn't seem to fit my husband's situation though. See, his seems tied directly to two things. 1) Adrenaline. Give him a stressful, dangerous situation and he's your man! Give him the task of putting something upstairs in the attic at his leisure and all bets are off. And 2) He seems to feel like average, within the norm activities are somehow constraining him. For instance, putting on one's seatbelt, or closing the fridge door, or a cabinet door, or (fill in the blank) - WHY are these things making demands on him? That's how he seems to see it because he actually gets "mad" at these inanimate objects. So if I add to the "cacophony" of "what society expects of him," then I'm adding to the weight of the world on his shoulders.

That's what it seems like to me anyway.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Yeah I guess the stacker would work. It will clutter up a small space and it will not address the issue of one square left on the roll, but at least I won't have to stand up and get a roll out of the CABINET THAT WAS BUILT TO STORE TOILET PAPER. Grrr. That cabinet will now be basically empty!

Note - I do always check the bathroom to be sure that guests aren't left fumbling for a roll. I check it. No one else does. But I'm used to it.
That is a little OCD though. Alternative solutions annoy you. No judgement or criticism. We all have our things. A friend of mine is a lot like you and I mess with her. Putting something in a different way than she keeps it and she says I don't care. But then her eyes keep going to it. She totally cares. I don't mess with her anymore, it was just a funny thing before.

She is a FANTASTIC friend, so IDC if she is OCD for ME, but I think it bothers HER. Every single day she is annoyed by at least one family member who isn't doing something exactly how she would do it and her way always makes sense and their way makes no sense. And she has good arguments for her way, but there is only a slight amount of the brain that says 'different strokes for different folks' and the rest is screaming that this is just wrong. Just incorrect, period.

You and your hubby sound almost exactly like her and hers. He is totally laid back. He just does not care at all about 1,000 things that are important to her. At all. He cares about HER. But he cannot adjust to all these things that are totally different from how he was raised.

I think you have to adjust and use the cabinet for something else and have the stack thingy or another solution. This is something that will never change!

Old 03-24-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the insight into one possible scenario!

Doesn't seem to fit my husband's situation though. See, his seems tied directly to two things. 1) Adrenaline. Give him a stressful, dangerous situation and he's your man! Give him the task of putting something upstairs in the attic at his leisure and all bets are off. And 2) He seems to feel like average, within the norm activities are somehow constraining him. For instance, putting on one's seatbelt, or closing the fridge door, or a cabinet door, or (fill in the blank) - WHY are these things making demands on him? That's how he seems to see it because he actually gets "mad" at these inanimate objects. So if I add to the "cacophony" of "what society expects of him," then I'm adding to the weight of the world on his shoulders.

That's what it seems like to me anyway.
LOL. I talk to the seatbelt beepy thing too. Alright, alright. I was going to, hold on a SECOND. I have not even considered driving yet, what is the rush? May I please arrange my things before I strap myself in?

Lordy. It starts beeping too soon. I was young when seatbelt laws were enacted. I KNOW! I am NOT going anywhere unstrapped!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology