Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 01:29 AM

3,328 posts, read 2,268,921 times

Advertisements

It depends. I've had some nice chats with people when traveling and on much rarer occasions in a local store; not something I'd want to do constantly, but on those occasions it has been pleasant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2016, 03:32 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,134,844 times
No, I don't.

I don't like having to randomly flip the switch and be 'on' at someone else's whim.

Old 09-10-2016, 06:04 AM

1,147 posts, read 717,740 times
No. I mostly keep to myself and don't like small talk.

Old 09-10-2016, 07:17 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,942,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Love to talk to strangers. Sure sometimes you might encounter an annoying one or a weird one, but even that's OK, it's not like you are getting married. I guess it is because I am endlessly fascinated by people and I always want to get to know more about how other people think and feel.

Might be a bit of a generalization, but I see more of this open behavior in the South than in the North. People seem to be a bit more uptight in the Northern climes.
I feel exactly the same way. A few minutes of pleasant conversation here and there makes the world a happier place, IMO.

When I lived in the Northeast, strangers who engaged you in conversation were regarded as weirdos. When I moved down South, it was the norm to chat openly and I found I liked it.

Old 09-10-2016, 07:34 AM

50,720 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I feel exactly the same way. A few minutes of pleasant conversation here and there makes the world a happier place, IMO.

When I lived in the Northeast, strangers who engaged you in conversation were regarded as weirdos. When I moved down South, it was the norm to chat openly and I found I liked it.
Just so you guys know, I am in the northeast, south Jersey to be exact, and yet I am not only having conversations with strangers, they are having them back with me, so take your northeast hate to a thread it belongs in, please. It depends where you live...live closer to a big city like NYC no matter what part of the country and people are less friendly, go to more rural areas (south Jersey) and people are nicer. It has nothing to do with region as a whole. I spent 6 months in Houston and no one was any friendlier or chattier than they are here.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:51 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,942,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Just so you guys know, I am in the northeast, south Jersey to be exact, and yet I am not only having conversations with strangers, they are having them back with me, so take your northeast hate to a thread it belongs in, please. It depends where you live...live closer to a big city like NYC no matter what part of the country and people are less friendly, go to more rural areas (south Jersey) and people are nicer. It has nothing to do with region as a whole. I spent 6 months in Houston and no one was any friendlier or chattier than they are here.
My "Northeast hate"? Who are you to tell me I cannot post my own experiences (of living in the NE 50 years btw) just because they do not match your own? Share your own experiences, but leave the personal criticism out of it, please.

Old 09-10-2016, 09:56 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,789,085 times
I like talking to every body. A friend was a stranger once weren't they?

Old 09-10-2016, 10:17 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,387,265 times
no, i have been known to go six or seven weeks without talking to anybody, not one single word. I found people just want to talk about themselves, like the toby keith song

Old 09-10-2016, 11:15 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,842,817 times
No, not on airplanes, in the grocery store, at the gym, or in the office at work.

I just like talking to my family, the only people in my life that I care about.

Old 09-10-2016, 12:49 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,926,636 times
I love talking to strangers. Almost every day I walk into one or more stranger's home to appraise their house. I pet the dog, compliment them on their decor or just chit chat about nothing special as I'm making my inspection. After 25 years, I can do my job in my sleep, so it makes it more fun to strike up a little conversation. I always make sure that it's pleasant (no religion or politics) and I follow their lead. I've met a lot of fellow Buckeyes and even people from my home town in Ohio. I do a lot of entertainment people and I have a standard line when meeting someone famous. "It must be so cool to be you". They always smile at the compliment except one young actress who you would know. She said, "Yeah, it's so cool that I'm refinancing my house so I can eat". Ooops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology