Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2016, 11:41 AM

971 posts, read 688,989 times

Advertisements

So I took a couple much needed days off, and what am I doing? Nothing. Can't seem to get moving. Everything I think of doing, I come up with an excuse not to do it. Then on top of that, I keep thinking about "the good old days" and what I would be doing if I still had a family. Too early to start drinking or I would. Yes, I know, that doesn't solve anything.

Stuck in a rut for a while now and can't seem to break out of it. There is an ATV event this weekend an hour from me and normally I would be all about it but can't even seem to get interested. Gotta break out of this rut somehow. Anyone else here ever feel like they are stuck in a rut or living in the past and not moving forward? This is my favorite time of year and I can't figure out what is the matter with me.

Going back to the garage to stare at the beer fridge for a while. Maybe it will speak to me. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 11:55 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Even the return of the Pitt-PSU game doesn't get you out of your funk??

Just kidding... I think it is WAY over-hyped.

Old 09-09-2016, 12:00 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,123,947 times
Yes. I understand what you are saying. Setting some incremental goals may help get you out of your rut.

Start a simple exercise routine. Do some push-ups, squats, planks, etc. Go outside for a short walk or bike ride (act like a kid again - a bike ride is a simple joy). Don't think about anything. Simple acts can help to clear the mind. Start small and increase your fitness over time.

I find when I am having emotional difficulty, it helps if I focus on my physical body. When my body feels good, I feel strong.

I know you want the beer and I understand it can be very tempting to detach and drift away from it all. Try to limit yourself to one or two beers.

Good luck.

Old 09-09-2016, 12:08 PM

2,148 posts, read 1,696,864 times
Any projects around the house to trip your fancy?

Maybe check Pinterest and see if there is anything there. My wife found a project for me there. We are going to make a couple for my nieces and nephew for their apartments, since space is pretty limited.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:39 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,273,833 times
Am not so sure that what you are describing is all that uncommon. Many people I have worked with have expressed the exact, same things that you have.

My first words of advice would be to get out and walk every day, twice a day. You don't have to walk miles, just around the neighborhood or half a mile, twice a day. This is important as exercise decreases anxiety, stress, and depression, and may very well help you to feel better. (Most do.)

The therapist in my feels that you are at a station of your life where something is blocking you from either moving forward, or enjoying the things you used to enjoy. That is one of the hallmark components of depression: Loss of interest in previously enjoyed things in one's life, such as the example that you give in your OP. Perhaps a brief course in therapy would help you identify what has you so stuck, or, if you don't feel positively towards therapy, there are numerous Life Coaches that will help you to set goals, and go through each step with you in order to succeed. Both a therapist and a Life Coach will assist you in identifying what is holding you back. --But don't forget, getting daily physical exercise should definitely help. (It may take 2-3 weeks to see the benefits, but it will help!)

I would avoid alcohol altogether, as it is a depressant, and over time will only add to your feelings of being stuck. A drink on occasion isn't a bad thing, but please try to avoid using it as a panacea to how you feel. It has the opposite effect, contributing to how stuck you feel....

There IS hope, trust me. It is a matter of uncovering what it is that has you stuck, and why. Once you can identify that and begin to address it, you will feel better! Lastly, much entails in forcing oneself to do things they simply don't want to do, but "doing nothing" takes on a life of it's own, keeping you stuck.

--Just a few suggestions from one who knows, and cares.

Take gentle care.

Old 09-15-2016, 11:48 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,483,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsdad View Post
So I took a couple much needed days off, and what am I doing? Nothing. Can't seem to get moving. Everything I think of doing, I come up with an excuse not to do it. Then on top of that, I keep thinking about "the good old days" and what I would be doing if I still had a family. Too early to start drinking or I would. Yes, I know, that doesn't solve anything.

Stuck in a rut for a while now and can't seem to break out of it. There is an ATV event this weekend an hour from me and normally I would be all about it but can't even seem to get interested. Gotta break out of this rut somehow. Anyone else here ever feel like they are stuck in a rut or living in the past and not moving forward? This is my favorite time of year and I can't figure out what is the matter with me.

Going back to the garage to stare at the beer fridge for a while. Maybe it will speak to me. LOL.
Sounds like you're a candidate for learning about "mindfulness." Believe me, I can't stand the very word because it's so buzzy, but basically, it's defined as "a mental state achieved by focusing one's awareness on the present moment, while calmly acknowledging and accepting one's feelings, thoughts, and bodily sensations, used as a therapeutic technique."

Not saying to try to forget the past or not think of it. Tell someone not to think of a pink elephant and a pink elephant will be all the person can think of. Just that when you catch yourself getting sucked down into the past, take a good look around you and see what is happening right then and there. That's the real moment you're living in. Maybe you're just kind of looking out the window. What do you see out there? I did this not long ago while walking, and there I was, on the National Mall, missing the people who were flying kites, the guy playing a sax by the Metro, the squirrels running around starting to stock up for winter, the smell of fresh warm pretzels from a street vendor.

Here's a piece that might also help:

How to Use Nostalgia to Your Advantage (Instead of Getting Stuck)

If push comes to shove, call a buddy and say, "Man, I'm in a rut. Let's go do something. Anything. Done looking at these four walls." There's nothing wrong with letting a friend take the lead. When he mentions an idea or shows up with tickets, a cooler, or a full tank of gas, just roll with it.

P.S. Are you getting enough sleep? Don't know about you, but when I'm not getting enough good rest, my brain gets what I call "tricksy." Things seem so much worse than they really are, and it will latch onto one thought or feeling and not let go. Make sure you're getting good sleep. It helps to clear the brain of toxins that build up during the day, which in turn helps your clarity and mood.

Old 09-15-2016, 02:16 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
Dude, what do you mean when you "used to have a family"? Why don't you have one now? Have they all passed?

But yeah, sometimes I find myself in your position. It's usually a sign I'm in a mild depression. At that point, if I've recognized the issue, I basically force myself to do things - go for a run, take the dogs on a hike, read a funny book or see a movie. If I can't pull myself out of it (basically by faking it until I make it), I know I need either to up my medication (mild dose of Zoloft) or talk to a professional.

I'm the queen of the staycation. I basically go to the library and get out a bunch of books, order some DVDs from netflix and plan out things like picnics and day trips. And naps - there's always lots of napping. But often as not, I am happy just sacked out in a lawn chair with a good book, some iced tea, and a little music on my iPhone and the dogs laying next to me.

Old 09-18-2016, 01:34 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,129,715 times
You clearly need a disease like fibromyagia, chronic fatigue syndrome, or chronic Lyme disease. Then you would have a real reason for being lame all the time.

So......GET A DISEASE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology