Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2016, 07:35 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,332,010 times

Advertisements

I just had a phone interview for a job I really want. I looked the supervisor up on Facebook, and realized she looks scary. She wears heavy eyeliner and has sharp eyebrows. Women like that scare me because I'm inclined to think they will yell at me. In the past, people have picked up on the fact that I'm scared and they get offended and it causes all sorts of problems. But I really want this job. Is there a way to condition yourself to toughen up and not appear scared?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 09:49 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Yes, practice doing things that scare you, over and over...see that you can be afraid and still get through it. That is how you build confidence. I would for this interview, work on some positive affirmations. You have to feel confident before it will show to others. Again, this requires effort, exercising mental muscles is not different than any other part of you, work - rewards. Find some affirmations, download an MP3 of positive affirmations, etc. There is no "trick" you can use though.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:04 AM

226 posts, read 198,905 times
However, there is also a need to trust your instincts and intuition. Investigation Discovery exists as a channel because people want to ignore their basic instincts about other people. Just sayin. Maybe there is a reason you feel something.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:05 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Why are you afraid of someone yelling at you? What does that mean to you? People yell. That's life.

Old 09-12-2016, 12:29 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,145,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, practice doing things that scare you, over and over...see that you can be afraid and still get through it. That is how you build confidence. I would for this interview, work on some positive affirmations. You have to feel confident before it will show to others. Again, this requires effort, exercising mental muscles is not different than any other part of you, work - rewards. Find some affirmations, download an MP3 of positive affirmations, etc. There is no "trick" you can use though.
There sure is a "trick" you can use. Lawyers use it all the time. It's called, "never ask a question you don't know the answer to," and of far greater importance: the Boy Scout motto, "be prepared."

Any interview I'm in where they rock me on my heels, which hasn't happened in many years, I assumed (correctly) it was already a lost cause. With sufficient preparation, for any question they would typically ask in any particular interview, they are not terribly stressful situations. "Sufficient preparation" sometimes takes days. Serious, in-depth research on the company and every/any duty listed in the job description.

There will always be a few who pounce when they sense fear. It's the dark side of human nature. I find it all rather amusing anymore, but I have nothing to lose. They start that crap, I double-down. If that fails, leave and find another opportunity.

Don't give others power over you voluntarily.

Old 09-12-2016, 12:59 PM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
There sure is a "trick" you can use. Lawyers use it all the time. It's called, "never ask a question you don't know the answer to," and of far greater importance: the Boy Scout motto, "be prepared."

Any interview I'm in where they rock me on my heels, which hasn't happened in many years, I assumed (correctly) it was already a lost cause. With sufficient preparation, for any question they would typically ask in any particular interview, they are not terribly stressful situations. "Sufficient preparation" sometimes takes days. Serious, in-depth research on the company and every/any duty listed in the job description.

There will always be a few who pounce when they sense fear. It's the dark side of human nature. I find it all rather amusing anymore, but I have nothing to lose. They start that crap, I double-down. If that fails, leave and find another opportunity.

Don't give others power over you voluntarily.
The woman hasn't challenged him at all...he is afraid merely by seeing a picture of her. My impression from that is that OP has some anxiety issues that are much bigger than most job applicants. he has stated that he often comes off as afraid in situations and that it has hurt him. Again IMO, it is only by continually doing things that scare you that can enable real improvement.
[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology