Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 12:16 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,832,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I know it's not nice, but I don't think it's any different than calling someone an idiot or a loser, for example. Yet it's considered downright evil by many to insult black people by using that word. Why is it so taboo?
Oh, no. Really?

Does it really matter why? Or whether some people might use it while others don't? What matters is, you KNOW the potential is there to really, really upset and hurt somebody. So why on earth ask why? Who cares? Just don't do it.

Some things we don't automatically "deserve" an answer to, and don't necessitate an explanation in order to be a fact. It is a FACT you will seriously, I mean seriously upset a significant amount of people in this way, and not due to oversensitivity or anything silly. So just don't, and if you never figure out exactly "why," it doesn't matter. In this case we just don't automatically deserve nor require verifiable backup as to a legitimate reason not to do something. Sometimes we do. This time we don't. Don't do it.

And FTR, please. You do know about a dozen or more "whys". We all do.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:18 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,634,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Because not being able to use the N word isn't fair and those poor white people are so so so oppressed.
Right. Its the same psychology that leads people to ask about black-on-black violence anytime there is a protest of blacks being killed by the police. In other words, why can't police kill black people if black people are killing black people? Ergo....why can't white people say the N word if black people are calling each other that?

This is what "they" are really asking. "Why can't we continue to participate in keeping you down, now that you are helping to keep yourselves down"? Why? Because that is still oppression.....AND THAT WAS THE CATALYST FOR IT ALL....WHITE PARTICIPATION!!!!!

Those who do not remember history are doomed to repeat it.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 09-14-2016 at 01:38 PM..

Old 09-14-2016, 12:33 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,053,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I know it's not nice, but I don't think it's any different than calling someone an idiot or a loser, for example. Yet it's considered downright evil by many to insult black people by using that word. Why is it so taboo?

Are you serious??

Old 09-14-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
The Nazis oppressed Jews far more than the southern whites oppressed blacks. They used the word "Jew" with the same contempt in their voices that was used with the N word. Then why am I using "the N word" to avoid spelling it out, but I'm not avoiding spelling out "Jew" by calling it "the J word" or anything?

How did the word "Jew" keep its respectability, but the N word can only be used by blacks?

Is it ok for us to use the original spelling and pronunciation of the N word? In other words, to use the Spanish word for black, to mean black people? I like black better because it's shorter. But I just want to know if that innocent N word is ok too?
The short answer is the term "Jew" is no more of a slur than "Catholic", "Protestant", or "Muslim", how the "N-word" is, always has been, and will probably always be a slur and rightly so.

If you really don't get why, then you probably never will and need to do some serious soul-searching.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:41 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,634,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Are you serious??
Unbelievable! That is the type of ignorance that will eventually turn into racism......since they truncate the history that explains why blacks have a problem with it......they will only see blacks as the problem.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Golly gosh if it's such a bad word can you ask the supposed living victims to stop using it every two seconds?

Tell ya what from now on every time a black person calls me that I will call the police and press hate crime charges. Will that make it all better?

My ancestors came to this country in the early 1900's so you can probably guess how far your argument goes with me. next you're going to tell us how the whites went into the African night and kidnapped people.
What was the purpose of your rant?

Were you attempting to voice your outrage over the contradictory use of the "N-word" by black people?

If so, then you could have simply made that statement, however, the sarcastic tone of your post makes me ponder the true motivation of your rant.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
What's wrong with using the 'n-word' on black people?

Extreme rudeness to say the least. I'm Jewish and would not appreciate being called "k**e" or "yid" or whatever. Why would anyone want to use the n-word on black people? I'm not responsible for what black people call each other; maybe it carries less of a bite when they use it among themselves; but I don't care to use such words.

I would not object to calling a black person, or any person, "idiot" or "loser" if the situation warranted it; though the words can be considered rude, they don't carry a history of disgusting racism.
Thank you for such a concise and considerate response, Regina.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
Good points. But why is it accepted for black folks to use it referring to another black?

You mistakenly assume that all black people accept and condone the usage of the "N-word" in reference to each other.

Assuredly, I tell you, we do not.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I'm sure you know why it's different than calling someone an idiot or a loser. Use the word if you want. Just don't let the wrong people hear you. Or better yet, let them hear you and come back and report the results.
^^^THIS^^^

It would be worth the price of admission to witness the results.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
It's taboo because of the power dynamics in this country. Blacks get special protection from the country's power structure.
Really??!!

I think Chris Rock addressed this perfectly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k_kIpxfWxA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology