Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 10:23 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone.

My sister is just starting to process it all and seems to want me to spend more time. It is a lot to juggle. Today several friends came to visit at the hospital and I was there for 6 hours. I got home feeling exhausted and starving to death.

I'm trying to balance supporting her and myself. It's hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2016, 09:05 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Thanks everyone.

My sister is just starting to process it all and seems to want me to spend more time. It is a lot to juggle. Today several friends came to visit at the hospital and I was there for 6 hours. I got home feeling exhausted and starving to death.

I'm trying to balance supporting her and myself. It's hard.
She's probably feeling very vulnerable right now and that's understandable, but I'm sure once she's recovered a bit more she'll realize that she was maybe expecting a little too much from you.

Old 09-25-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
She's probably feeling very vulnerable right now and that's understandable, but I'm sure once she's recovered a bit more she'll realize that she was maybe expecting a little too much from you.
She will hopefully be out of the hospital on Tuesday so I am trying to push through.

Old 09-25-2016, 11:39 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,191,696 times
It's normal. Some people get overwhelmed when dealing with tons of family and friends on a constant basis.

Sometimes that's too much to ask of some people. Like for me. When it comes to family members, I usually don't wanna be bothered with them daily. Once a week is good enough. If I start seeing them multiple times in a week, I am tired of them. And depending on my mood, even once a week is a bit much. lol

Plus as you mentioned, it's during a stressful time with a loved one. So sometimes people wanting to gather around and talk about that doesn't help. My father and I agreed with that. When his mother died, he and I talked about the fact that people won't leave you alone, and always wanna call and talk to you. And many times, people want to be left alone.

I remember seeing the post on tumblr that mentions it. You're upset and trying not to cry. You're trying to go about your business. Then someone comes up to ask what's wrong and make a further case of it, and it releases the tears. I have had that happen.

Old 09-30-2016, 11:53 PM

I thought it would get better now that she is out of the hospital, but now I am getting pestered by various relatives. My aunt who I previously talked to a few times a year texts looking for daily updates and to complain my sister isn't calling back. I did a group text to all the extended family who have been calling/texting me for updates and my dad suddenly wants me to include even more relatives.

Mom is staying with her and dad was sent home. Now dad wants daily updates too in case they ar too busy to pick up the phone between resting and medication.

She has been out of the hospital 2 days and hasn't even had a chance to rest and everyone is calling me to check in.

Old 10-03-2016, 12:34 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I thought it would get better now that she is out of the hospital, but now I am getting pestered by various relatives. My aunt who I previously talked to a few times a year texts looking for daily updates and to complain my sister isn't calling back. I did a group text to all the extended family who have been calling/texting me for updates and my dad suddenly wants me to include even more relatives.

Mom is staying with her and dad was sent home. Now dad wants daily updates too in case they ar too busy to pick up the phone between resting and medication.

She has been out of the hospital 2 days and hasn't even had a chance to rest and everyone is calling me to check in.
Are most people on Facebook? Are you? That's another good way to send a mass message/update to everyone all at the same time. I would also try adding to your updates something like, "I will let you know if something is wrong, otherwise, if I can't get back to you right away, it's safe to assume no news is good news and she's improving as expected".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology