Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2016, 05:10 AM

579 posts, read 552,128 times

Advertisements

I am depressed and feel trapped in my situation. I was wondering if others felt like this - how common it is. People say "just get out there, do more". I've tried, honestly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2016, 11:50 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,102,030 times
Have you tried existential astrological counseling?

Old 09-25-2016, 12:25 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,040,194 times
I do.

Sometimes to the point where I almost feel claustrophobic & panic. There is really no option for me now; I'm doing the "right thing" & I have a 12 year old disabled child that needs me to be doing exactly what I am.

Thats a comfort of sorts to me.

On the other hand; the fact that I am so trapped does not bode well for HIS future either. As soon as within 10 years I can see us both in a homeless shelter.

So now it's up to me to do the best I can with what I have. The problem is that I've voluntarily surrendered myself as the person who gave up all my "I can's". Every direction I turn there is a dead-end & thats where the claustrophobia comes from; it's not just a glass ceiling; it's a glass box.

Old 09-25-2016, 02:40 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,168,594 times
I do. I have been working in step-by-step plans to get my life in order. BUT it is taking a good while. But I started late. When I was younger, I had no motivation to do much, and didn't really take time to make any plans.

After I got fed up enough, I started actually trying to make some plans that are being put into action. But it takes a min.

So I have a plan. It's realistic, and can be accomplished. But it's gonna take some years. I would wager I could be finished within 4 years -perhaps.

But until then, I am in fact stuck in the life I have.

Old 09-25-2016, 05:10 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,955,009 times
I can relate. I have tried so hard not to be the sexist person on Earth, but I am stuck in this role. Oh well. We all have our crosses to bear.

Old 09-25-2016, 07:29 PM

2,606 posts, read 2,691,765 times
I do sometimes but to be honest, I am among the lucky once. I have been blessed with lot. But still time to time I feel stuck, I feel frustrated, I get mad at myself, sometimes I feel hopeless and other time that frustration turns into motivation for a week or so. Usually the stuck/depress feeling last me a day to a week, very rarely it stays with me for month but I never had longer than month. Usually after few days of feeling stuck, I snap back and realize all that I have. That calms me down and gets me back.

Old 09-25-2016, 07:59 PM

579 posts, read 552,128 times
Interesting. Well part of the reason I feel stuck is I feel like I have not been able to make the type of close relationships that I want/need to be happy. I come from a good family which I am thankful for, but I am extremely shy and find it difficult to get out and make friends/relationships. Because of my shyness, I have stayed in relationships that were damaging to my emotions. I know this is bad but it's so hard to break out. Even when I DO get up the courage to meet people and get to know them, I find we aren't very compatible in terms of personality. I think one of the reasons is my location.. But also, even when I've lived different places, I just found it hard to relate to people. I really think it is because I have an odd sense of humor that people just don't understand or like. Also, this may sound a bit conceited (sorry) but I've always been told im pretty, so it's possible the people i meet don't expect me to have such a goofy sense of humor and sarcastic approach to life.. There is a stereotype that "pretty girls aren't/ can't be funny". So maybe some people are put off by this because they merely don't expect it. When you think of an image of a funny person, generally it's a man and not a woman, especially not a pretty woman.

Old 09-25-2016, 10:11 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,796,505 times
If they put my life in an encyclopedia/biography, the first word would be trapped. For whatever reason fate wants to trap me and it is the reason why I have had many years of depression (which has had it's fair share of severe days). Some people accidentally trap me but some have done it on purpose or at best they aren't trying very hard to keep me from being unstuck. For example someone takes my money, I don't get it back. They don't care how hard I've worked for it.

As for making relationships, mine goes further than yours. As you say you had a good family but I couldn't connect with most of my family. The person who was my (and my mom's) only rock was her mom and she passed when I was young. On the other side of the family no one really even liked me at best except for my cousin but I haven't talked to him in years. On mom's side, my uncle did not like me because of my other side of the family so it was like I was stuck in the middle.

It's difficult when a lot of people are aholes and also because you march to the beat of a different drum. Yes everyone is unique but I'm far different than the average person so while I can relate on a shallow level, if I get deep enough I'm very strange and don't feel a connection...only to certain type of people which would be people like musician or poets but they are often difficult to reach. A young woman that was in my school who is also strange herself has said I'm weird (she meant it in a good way but I think this says something) The guy I'm dating who has known me for a few years has said it is difficult to understand me. With people who know me it is easy for me to get into arguments (him and I have been through many). Strangers I don't get that as much because I am reserved but I have gotten funny looks with the small amount of things I've said or people will laugh at me or some have thought of me as rude/got annoyed with me because they thought I was staring at them. In school I had more people to talk to but still had very few close friends so most of them were just acquaintances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Have you tried existential astrological counseling?
Do you mean a psychic? A lot of them are quacks so it would be difficult to find a legitimate one. If not, I'd like to try that but it wouldn't be covered on my insurance and it would be very expensive I'd gather.

I guess the only thing you can do is if you have a good support system (which you mentioned your family) you have to ask them for help. When you're stuck in a situation, there is nothing wrong with asking because sometimes it takes more than one to solve a problem. Or maybe you can find a group/club that would have your type of people.

Last edited by Nickchick; 09-25-2016 at 10:27 PM..

Old 09-29-2016, 02:29 AM

1,485 posts, read 948,748 times
Yes, definately feel trapped.
I guess a huge part of it is that I consistently made wrong life decisions. Now I'm stuck in a relationship where I'm not making as much as the other and so my feelings and preferences don't matter as much.
One day during exercising I passed out from exhaustion. It was just a few months ago. Anyway, right before I passed out, I got a little excited because I thought I was having a heart issue and was going to die. I haven't done well in this life and I'm eager to get it over with and hopefully come back and try again. I was disappointed to wake up after passing out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology