Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2016, 09:27 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,570,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
now snowball......humans have been around for argueably for 200,000 yrs- 1 million years

and its only been in the last 80 yrs for indoor plumbing..... and toilet paper

most would take a bath once a month

think about how people much have stunk ....
I think the most popular aromas to cover the human stench was wood burning ...to cook and heat,,,,and cow manure smell.....we all smelled like a barn

this is why weddings were usually in june and july...so the flowers would be in bloom to cover the stench of the guests

imagine one of your ancestors.......go back 200/2000 years and show them indoor showers
they would love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I once read that weddings were in June because that's when the weather warmed up and people would have their ONE bath for the YEAR.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 09:37 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I don't know what is wrong with me, simple & basic task like regular shower feels like a huge burden on me. No I am not physically disable or struggle with life. I have no problem working long hours then partying rest of the evening and then visiting my parents or doing what needs to be done. I have lot of energy but certain basic task that little kids master seem to be struggle for me.

I thought by this age I will shred my laziness and establish a habit. Habit of being well groomed, habit of exercising daily & of praying everyday. Those are 3 task I want to include in my life but struggle so hard, they are so simple (and showering is the simplest of them all), and they honestly feel good when I muster up the courage & energy to do them.. but some how the pleasure of doing these activities does not offset my laziness.

I do shower but usually after few days when my body , especially my hair, can't take it anymore. Then I spend an hour in shower because I am making up for missing 3 days & then i am exhausted. The only time I didn't find it a daunting task is after workout when I do want to hop in and out of shower, it becomes natural but I don't keep up with workout

Why is an adult like me not doing a basic task like showering? what is wrong with me?
A "self care deficit" - not wanting to shower, for example, is usually not a sign of laziness. In my own experience, it is often emblematic of depression.

If I were you, I would have a physical to rule out any medical issues that may make you lethargic. After that, I would seek out a competent therapist. I can not and will not diagnose you, but you did post in a psychology forum, and you seem to be aware of the fact that not wanting to shower regularly is not the norm.

Please first see a doctor for a check up, and then see a counselor.

Best of luck.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:48 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
What on earth do you do fo a whole hour in there?
A shower takes 5 minutes... 10 if you are doing hair and shaving legs!
All of my conditioner needs 5-10 minutes. Face masks need 5-10 minutes. Face washing with a clairsonic takes two. Body scrubs are 5 minutes.

If I wash my hair it takes 45 minutes to shower. Regular shower is 7-10 minutes. Unless I am cold. Add 5 minutes. Or sleepy.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:28 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
All of my conditioner needs 5-10 minutes. Face masks need 5-10 minutes. Face washing with a clairsonic takes two. Body scrubs are 5 minutes.

If I wash my hair it takes 45 minutes to shower. Regular shower is 7-10 minutes. Unless I am cold. Add 5 minutes. Or sleepy.
Uh, condition your hair with a face mask on (and/or put the face mask on before you get in the shower) while scrubbing your body. Streamline your process and it won't take 45 minutes.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:48 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Knew an older woman who wouldn't shower, she hated the spray of water in her face. So she took a bath. She washed her hair in the kitchen sink.

As she got older, getting in and out of the bath got too hard, so she bought a bath chair, ran a tub, and sat in the chair to wash. Worked for her.

Me, I'm a 20 minute girl. In, out, lotioned, hair dried, makeup on and dressed....

Old 09-26-2016, 11:57 PM

997 posts, read 936,291 times
I have always hated taking a shower because I don't like being cold when I get out. This is a lifelong thing. I have always hated that. My hair takes some time to brush out. I hate that too.

That doesn't mean I don't do it, but I don't like it.

I think that the cold part is common to not like. Some people are more sensitive to discomfort.

Old 09-27-2016, 12:20 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
well, I can tell you why you ladies don't like showering...
with the 22 containers of conditioner,,,6 bottles of body wash and 5 plastic bottles of shampoo.....not to mention soap, razor blades,
you turn a quick shower into a formal cleaning performance
then go to the sink and have 8 different lotions to put on... style and blow-dry your hair . brush your teeth, clip your nails...
before marriage showering with a woman was kinda enjoyable.....after marriage... oh no,,its all routine...and don't get in her way
for me,,,i bring in my laptop, put on a favorite song...... and its quick and easy
You can be so funny sometimes.....LOL
In our shower there is a shower chair that I still have to use as a result of the stroke I had last year.
There is one bottle of liquid soap, one bottle of shampoo, one bottle of conditioner and one scrubby.
If we want a wash cloth that goes into the shower with us.
I take approximately 15 minutes to shower, brush my teeth, brush my hair, dry off and get dressed.
No blow drying, no make up and baby oil as soon as I step out of the shower but before I dry off.
Marriage has nothing to do with showering alone or with someone.
Not every woman on the planet is high maintenance.

OP: You should make an appointment with your physician to ensure you are medically fine but discuss depression while you are there.
Also, if you make a point to establish a routine it will become natural for you to follow the routine after a period of time.
Make a check list if it will help, start with the moment you wake and get out of bed.
Potty, shower, dress, brush teeth, brush hair, make up if you use it. Then mark off each item as you get it done.
The next part of your list is what you need to do to get ready to leave your home for work or school.
Followed by the rest of the tasks you need to do the rest of your day.
Then before you go to bed make your list for the next day and move forward from there.

Old 09-27-2016, 12:52 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
You would have loved living during the Victorian Age, when they thought bathing was unhealthy for you, and perhaps you bathed once a year and sprinkled your body/clothes with perfume when you got too stinky!

I think bathing/showering is unnatural to mankind, just like exercise!

There's nothing wrong with you but there's something wrong with our society that puts pressure on you to keep clean!

I've cut down on my showering to 2X a week!

I've never bathed my pet ferret, but they're self-cleaning animals, he always smells clean to me! But you know us stinky human beings!

Old 09-27-2016, 04:39 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,274,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
A "self care deficit" - not wanting to shower, for example, is usually not a sign of laziness. In my own experience, it is often emblematic of depression.

If I were you, I would have a physical to rule out any medical issues that may make you lethargic. After that, I would seek out a competent therapist. I can not and will not diagnose you, but you did post in a psychology forum, and you seem to be aware of the fact that not wanting to shower regularly is not the norm.

Please first see a doctor for a check up, and then see a counselor.

Best of luck.
Thank you. I am shocked by the cavalier attitude of people here.

It's not that the OP hates showering. It's that she DOES NOT DO IT.

It's the fact that she can't or won't make herself do something that is vital for her health. That is not normal.

Last edited by mochamajesty; 09-27-2016 at 05:57 AM..

Old 09-27-2016, 05:10 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,678,870 times
Bathing/showering timing is based on personal preference. Everyone is different. Many things affect how and when we want to clean ourselves.

When I was young, my house didn't have a shower. It was all baths for us, in the 1 bathroom for 5 people. My first shower wasn't till age 11, when I went to visit my moms family. Wow. That was neat. The teenage daughter also used something called "conditioner", which I was unfamiliar with. Now, I was the city kid, and she was the country kid.

FF- I got married. All of our housing had showers, and showering became a daily necessity. Especially after having 3 kids.
Just giving them baths got me shower #2 for that day.

As I got older, my oily skin is becoming drier. Peri-menopause has wreaked havoc on my skin, so I take fewer showers/baths these days.

Many different things will influence the necessity and timing of bathing.

P.S.- My sister who is 1 yr older than me...she refused to bathe...for years....and would brag about it.

And yes...she smelled. Human funk is just nasty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology