Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2016, 07:44 AM

4,666 posts, read 5,093,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Rami Nader is a Canadian psychologist who studies coulrophobia, the irrational fear of clowns. Nader believes that clown phobias are fueled by the fact that clowns wear makeup and disguises that hide their true identities and feelings.

This is perfectly consistent with my hypothesis that it is the inherent ambiguity surrounding clowns that make them creepy. They seem to be happy, but are they really? And they’re mischievous, which puts people constantly on guard. People interacting with a clown during one of his routines never know if they are about to get a pie in the face or be the victim of some other humiliating prank. The highly unusual physical characteristics of the clown (the wig, the big red nose, the makeup, the odd clothing) only magnify the uncertainty of what the clown might do next.
Creepy clown sightings: Why are clowns so scary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 08:32 AM

2,682 posts, read 2,180,607 times
Clowns are scary outside of their proper context. They're fine at the circus, but not skulking in the woods.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:20 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,594,189 times
I don't like clowns or most other mascots - especially hyper ones in masks.

I would think if little kids are afraid of clowns, it could be partly because clowns are fake/insincere, loud, and make sudden/exaggerated movements. Except for the fake/insincere part, it could be similar to little kids being scared of dogs. Plus, in both those cases, there's often a loving adult waiting in the wings to wrap you in their arms and make you safe - reinforcing that the other thing is bad and the safe hug is awesome.

Once you're past that stage, if you're still afraid or creeped out by clowns, my guess is that it's related to the childhood memories and reinforced by movies, news items, and cultural depictions of clowns being evil/bad.

Old 10-02-2016, 04:50 PM

3,299 posts, read 3,026,852 times
Reading the first post, I just immediately thought of the "uncanny valley" effect, and when I Googled "Clowns and the Uncanny Valley," here's what I found on Wikipedia:

Quote:
Clown costumes tend to exaggerate the facial features and some body parts, such as hands and feet and noses. This can be read as monstrous or deformed as easily as it can be read as comical. The significant aberrations in a clown's face may alter a person's appearance so much that it enters the so-called uncanny valley—in which a figure is lifelike enough to be disturbing, but not realistic enough to be pleasant—and thus frightens a child so much that they carry this phobia throughout their adult life.
I think that's what it is for me.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:15 PM

343 posts, read 316,833 times
they are always smiling, yet hide a lot of pain, sadness and other emotions behind that smile and goofy surface. they have to turn literally everything and anything into a joke. they are in tune with a perspective in life that not many ever get to see, unless you decide to become a clown yourself. i guess in some weird way, that means they cannot be trusted, or there is something "off" about them?

Old 10-03-2016, 11:36 AM

65 posts, read 55,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bewitchyou View Post
they are always smiling, yet hide a lot of pain, sadness and other emotions behind that smile and goofy surface. they have to turn literally everything and anything into a joke. they are in tune with a perspective in life that not many ever get to see, unless you decide to become a clown yourself. i guess in some weird way, that means they cannot be trusted, or there is something "off" about them?
Post reminded me of the smokey Robinson Classic "tears of a clown"

Old 11-04-2016, 09:57 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
I just read an article about it from a different psychologist; I think it's slightly better.
The real reason clowns scare us

(edit, time check, About the Forum issue)

Last edited by goodheathen; 11-04-2016 at 11:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology