Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 10:02 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,101,553 times

Advertisements

I thought the OP's post was in regads to a male/female dynamic but niow I'm lost too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 10:03 PM

3 posts, read 10,055 times
Default Why Do Women Flatter Themselves So Much?

I’m sorry…maybe I should clarify the “flipping the dynamic” thing. What I mean by this is when a woman/girl, sees a guy she thinks is attractive, she based on narcissism, vanity, presumptuousness, or wishful thinking, projects onto the guy that he is hitting on her. Some women are so vain that they actually “connect the dots” this way. Any man they find attractive, must, be hitting on them!!! How could he not be…right??!!! (lol). That’s the flipping of the dynamic. My issue with this is the nature of the behavior. If it were always cute, and good-natured, it wouldn’t be an issue. However, for some women, being overly theatrical, and sometimes even toxic, is how they validate themselves. What adds insult to injury is when you’re being subjected to this by someone you have no interest in!!! I hope you can see how tedious this could be. Don’t misunderstand. I see both sides. Attractive women are always being hit on, (or so they think). So many times they act out preemptively to avoid being approached. Other women are shy; thus they do this to get the guy’s attention to start with!!! Some women do it, purely because acting this way is a defense-mechanism of sorts in dealing with awkwardness. Like making incidental eye contact with a guy, and immediately hiding behind their phone, as though they’re about to be hit on. But some women, like many women, like feeling sought after by guys they themselves find attractive. Thus the projection of attraction. Especially in places where some women go to seek validation, like the gym. It’s as if they can’t wait to act out!! Particularly if they find you attractive!! For some of them, it’s half the reason they are there. Thus these situations become even more extreme. I suppose some of you can’t relate, because it’s not your reality. Some are too proud to admit this exists. But, if you’re a guy, who’s walked in my shoes, I’m sure you know what I’m talking about.

Old 10-13-2016, 11:17 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,454,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homina12 View Post
Don't men and women tend to posture and act a bit foolish when they're lusting?
When I visited Het Loo Palace in the Netherlands, I had a gorgeous male peacock put on quite a display just for me.

He would rush up in front of me, spread his feathers wide, shake his feathers, dance around, etc. and then after a few photos and my trying to move on to the rest of the palace, he'd follow me, and do it all over again. It was sweet, then hilarious, then I felt a bit sad that he didn't have a female of his own species that turned him on as much as I apparently did. (I was wearing a stylish red jacket, if that matters.)

Old 10-13-2016, 11:21 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1for-the-road View Post
I’m sorry…maybe I should clarify the “flipping the dynamic” thing. What I mean by this is when a woman/girl, sees a guy she thinks is attractive, she based on narcissism, vanity, presumptuousness, or wishful thinking, projects onto the guy that he is hitting on her. Some women are so vain that they actually “connect the dots” this way. Any man they find attractive, must, be hitting on them!!! How could he not be…right??!!! (lol). That’s the flipping of the dynamic. My issue with this is the nature of the behavior. If it were always cute, and good-natured, it wouldn’t be an issue. However, for some women, being overly theatrical, and sometimes even toxic, is how they validate themselves. What adds insult to injury is when you’re being subjected to this by someone you have no interest in!!! I hope you can see how tedious this could be. Don’t misunderstand. I see both sides. Attractive women are always being hit on, (or so they think). So many times they act out preemptively to avoid being approached. Other women are shy; thus they do this to get the guy’s attention to start with!!! Some women do it, purely because acting this way is a defense-mechanism of sorts in dealing with awkwardness. Like making incidental eye contact with a guy, and immediately hiding behind their phone, as though they’re about to be hit on. But some women, like many women, like feeling sought after by guys they themselves find attractive. Thus the projection of attraction. Especially in places where some women go to seek validation, like the gym. It’s as if they can’t wait to act out!! Particularly if they find you attractive!! For some of them, it’s half the reason they are there. Thus these situations become even more extreme. I suppose some of you can’t relate, because it’s not your reality. Some are too proud to admit this exists. But, if you’re a guy, who’s walked in my shoes, I’m sure you know what I’m talking about.
Okay. But how does this impact you? Or anybody? What makes this a problem? If you are not attracted to the girl can't you just not ask her out and not talk to her?

Old 10-14-2016, 04:16 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
Do you actually think MEN don't act out when they see a woman they're attracted to? How is it possible that women exhibit body language but men don't?

Old 10-14-2016, 08:33 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,646,355 times
I don't know, maybe I am just too old for this silliness. I do however, generally lust after other women's shoes. I have tremendous shoe-envy.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:14 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
There seems to be some confusion as to what the OP is talking about, largely centered around the phrase "flipping the dynamic", which I don't exactly understand either.

But what I thought he was talking about is when a man, innocently approaches a woman to ask her something mundane, like the time, and she immediate puts on airs about how she's not having it (his imaginary 'romantic' advances) on her because she is a queen and he is a dirty pauper and how he should just, without a moment's hesitation, step the hell off because how could such a wretched street urchin think he could get a moments notice from a divine beauty such as herself. She is a queen befitting of only the most regal of men.

But he just wondered what time it was.

tl;dr Some women think that everytime a man approaches, he is trying to get into her "good graces" and she will respond to his innocent inquiry with a disproportionate, dramatic rebuff.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:42 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Yeah, still not clear on any "dynamic being flipped."

Do you mean, let's see...

Two women are out running, and an attractive man come running past in the opposite direction. One woman says to her friend, "Oh, my god, did you see how he looked at me? He totally wanted me. Can you believe it??" When the guy didn't so much as give either of them a glance, but was immersed in a podcast.

If that's the sort of thing you're talking about, then, no, I don't really see that happen (outside of in movies, to poke fun at the person who always thinks everyone's hitting on them, and to be fair, that's portrayed often as not with the guy imagining being hit on as the woman...if not more).

Still not sure why it's flipping anything, though, for a woman to presume flirtation when none has been initiated. Men just as easily do that.

Old 10-14-2016, 10:11 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,101,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1for-the-road View Post
Ah; I think I understand. I DON'T think I do THAT.

I just meant that I'm aware that my demeanor changes when I interact with a guy. It does not matter if he is 17 or 70. The way I talk, act & carry myself changes.

I think your talking about something different than what I do. I THINK your talking about women who are flamboyant to the point of desperation, in order to garner some kind of response from a guy?

That could be taken as a form of self-flattery but to the extent that it serves to somewhat alienate the other females that the guy may actually be interested in?

Like playing "hard-to-get" when you already know she'd be "easy"?

Old 10-14-2016, 10:53 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
LOL, it never bothered me when a guy swaggered in reaction to my asking some simple question in very clear "Yeah, I know you want me...I still got it" fashion, and trust me, it happened, and happens. Ask any woman.

It didn't impact my life. I just went along doing my thing. I mean the guy got to feel good about himself for two seconds, is that a crime nowadays? Let him, there is too little happiness and self-satisfaction in this world as it is.

I am not understanding why this would be a problem, how does it even affect you? Oh noes, some women have self esteem and it's better that they feel a little insecure because then they'll accept more advances from you? Am I close?

Don't try to lower women. Try to raise yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology