Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 11:48 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,317,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Ah; I think I understand. I DON'T think I do THAT.

I just meant that I'm aware that my demeanor changes when I interact with a guy. It does not matter if he is 17 or 70. The way I talk, act & carry myself changes.

I think your talking about something different than what I do. I THINK your talking about women who are flamboyant to the point of desperation, in order to garner some kind of response from a guy?

That could be taken as a form of self-flattery but to the extent that it serves to somewhat alienate the other females that the guy may actually be interested in?

Like playing "hard-to-get" when you already know she'd be "easy"?
I think what you describe here regarding behavior changes around different people is a fascinating aspect of human social behavior that applies to everyone, everywhere. Most people are almost always wearing some type of social mask; rarely is a person completely unmasked or unfiltered. We are all social chameleons who change our personas based on a number of social factors, and one of those factors is sexual attraction. A sexually attractive person represents a highly valued resource, and the more desirable the resource, the more motivated we are to adopt behaviors and actions that will increase our chances of obtaining that resource.

We are all prolific actors whether we are aware of it or not. What professional actors do on screen we do basically every day: we play roles and follow scripts and 'act' in ways which we feel will increase our chances of success and happiness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes. It's not a question of women flattering themselves so much, but of a type of human behavior in a mating context. Maybe we should be asking why the OP never notices when men do the same.
Probably because he is a heterosexual male who has no reason to pay much attention to how males act when interacting with women.

Old 10-16-2016, 03:42 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I honestly don't ever remember once "flipping" my hair because I liked a guy. Are we living in a cartoon or what?
For me; at least it is second nature. I really don't plan on it; it happens & then I think ..."hmmm".

Old 10-16-2016, 03:55 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
I think what you describe here regarding behavior changes around different people is a fascinating aspect of human social behavior that applies to everyone, everywhere. Most people are almost always wearing some type of social mask; rarely is a person completely unmasked or unfiltered. We are all social chameleons who change our personas based on a number of social factors, and one of those factors is sexual attraction. A sexually attractive person represents a highly valued resource, and the more desirable the resource, the more motivated we are to adopt behaviors and actions that will increase our chances of obtaining that resource.

We are all prolific actors whether we are aware of it or not. What professional actors do on screen we do basically every day: we play roles and follow scripts and 'act' in ways which we feel will increase our chances of success and happiness.
"Social Chameleon" ... I like that. Do you think that is learned behavior? I almost feel as though I am not in total control of it. I may recognize that I did it AFTERWARDS.

Like the action of biting my lip. Or putting a finger in my mouth ... it sounds stupid but I do that & then I think "Okay; get a grip."

I don't remember watching other women do that?

Old 10-16-2016, 04:57 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Probably because he is a heterosexual male who has no reason to pay much attention to how males act when interacting with women.
Men notice when other men are moving in on their turf, though, or when competing for women's attention.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:31 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,249,582 times
I never saw what the OP is alleging but what I have seen on numerous times is spurned women reacting with, "Whassa matta, don't you like girls?"

Old 10-17-2016, 02:09 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes. It's not a question of women flattering themselves so much, but of a type of human behavior in a mating context. Maybe we should be asking why the OP never notices when men do the same.
We have.

He hasn't answered.

That particular question appears to be being avoided by the OP as well as the others who have boarded the "ZOMG you're right, all women do this!" train.

Old 10-17-2016, 02:10 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
Quote:
You seem to be answering for the OP quite a bit.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
You seem to be answering for the OP quite a bit.
And you are making assumptions about the OP and also about others being on some train that the OP is driving.

This is a public forum, so it should come as no shock that interested individuals will chime in with their own take on the subject.

Old 10-17-2016, 12:12 PM

1,347 posts, read 945,147 times
Quote:
It's a topic of discussion. CD is filled with thousands of other topics which people thought worthy or interesting enough to warrant creating a thread topic. Nothing more. Just a topic of discussion. Certain topics appeal to certain people, others don't. Variety of life.
Yeah, I don't think so. "Oh, it's just a theoretical discussion" is a deflector whenever these posters get called out on their agenda. It's not just a lighthearted convo when the "question" is really just veiled disdain about some group of people. I believe the technical term is "gaslighting".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology