Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 03:00 PM

2,035 posts, read 4,540,373 times

Advertisements

I remember a few things from the age of 3. One was a picnic where my uncle picked me up to jump across a small stream and he got his foot stuck in the mud and his shoe came off. Another is being at the babysitters laying on her itchy couch to take a nap so she could watch her Soaps. I remember tagging along with my sisters to their school's playground and going down a big hill to pick blackberries (they are 6 and 4 years older than me and have confirmed I did this). There are also other vague memories from that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 03:01 PM

416 posts, read 629,288 times
I would guess I was between 3 and 4 yrs old, maybe I was younger? I remember being in the living room in a jumper seat bouncing about and started belching or hiccuping or something, so mom came from the kitchen and picked me up and started to burp me, it hurt so I struggled a bit and told her to stop. She looked at me funny, but put me down. I was still having the problem so she told me I needed to be burped and was going to pick me up again but I insisted she stop, so she threw up her hands and went back to the kitchen.

Old 10-17-2016, 03:47 PM

3,034 posts, read 7,910,634 times
I was born in 1933 and father died in '38,I can still remember and see my father on stretcher talking to my brother age 18,it was winter,my sister was a long side me.
My mother died when I was 2,I do not have any memory of this.

Old 10-17-2016, 04:01 PM

1,504 posts, read 848,070 times
I was about two years old and was laying across a swing seat in a farmhouse yard...The swing was a board with two ropes. You know the kind. Well I remember that I had to poo...so I remember I clearly decided to crap in my pants...I still remember that feeling of something rolling down my pant leg...sorry folks...I was mischief maker even then.

Old 10-17-2016, 04:26 PM

2,622 posts, read 3,399,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I remember yelling my head off in frustration when the woman said "Hush; this is a hospital! There are sick people here!"

I remember being mad because I thought that was a dumb thing to say to me because I WAS a sick person there.

I also remember being resigned to the fact that I would not be able to tell her this so I resorted to being combative & screaming.

It's not like I was told that this happened; parents are not allowed into the O. R. & anesthesia is administerd to patients IN the Operating Room.

I'm an RN & have worked Surgical. NOW I know why I was being restrained & why the air in the mask burned my throat.

I HAVE to use language in order to answer your question but I don't remember it "in language". I remember it in sight but I can't bring you into my brain for you to view an "instant replay".

Your a human so I have to use the "preferred method of communication for humans" to relate my memory to you.
I can well believe that you DID remember these events at 18 months of age, as you have much corroboration and your memories are very distinct and detailed. Yet the former neighbor of my family says that he comes out of the womb and then, a short time later, is slapped on the backside to get him to breathe his first full breaths of life independent of his mother. It is very very hard to conceive that a newborn even has a conscious-enough mind and awareness to form memories of such an event.

Old 10-17-2016, 04:32 PM

983 posts, read 991,504 times
I remember being two years old and seeing my first snow. I was terrified! It was cold, then all of a sudden there's this cold, white stuff on my shoes, and it was falling from the sky. OMG, get it off!!!

I was born in S California and went to Michigan where I was forced to grow up :\

Old 10-17-2016, 07:50 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,257,395 times
My dad was very sick and I was 2. My mom picked me up and plopped me on him and he was in pain. I didn't understand but I knew he was mad and he made my mom take me right away. I think my mom did it intentionally, all things considered. He died when I was almost 3 but I remember that about him.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:46 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,280,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Nixon's resignation, the day he departed the White House lawn on the Presidential Helicopter. Sea King or whatever it was...

I remember:

"Mommy, why are you crying (scary)
"The President has resigned!
"President of...? Mommy, why are you crying harder? (more scary).

That's about it, I was very upset because mommy was upset. Hell, it upsets me now.

Today, I'd either throw a party or cry if our current President resigned, probably both: one for obvious reasons, the other for the damage caused to our national prestige. Not that it would matter in these last few months, all that much anyway. The two are separate matters.

I just looked it up on YouTube. Very sad. The clip is abbreviated, but I clearly remember the chopper video as it left the White House and faded off into the distance. Not a dry eye in the audience, from VP Ford (President Ford, later that day) on down the line.

Therefore, I was 6.
There might not have been a dry eye among the observers but I was living a couple of miles from the White House at the time and between there and my place, people were literally dancing in the streets. My favorite record store (there was such a thing back then) had been announcing all week, "Resignation Party! The day Nixon resigns, we'll stay open all night and albums will be 3 for $10." They were true to their word. The place was packed (Orpheus Records, M Street, Georgetown).

To get back on topic, my earliest memory I can quantify is my mother being pregnant with my youngest sibling. So I know I was 4. I remember many things about waiting for the new baby and after, but I also have a vivid memory of sitting under the dining room table with my little brother while my parents sat AT the table, pouring over a baby book and discussing names. My brother and I came up with our own choices: Truck for a boy, Lamp for a girl (go figure), and if it was twins, Pot and Pan. We thought that was hilarious, but my parents have no memory at all of our creativity or their own long dithering.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:29 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,919,433 times
A good short article on infantile amnesia that mentions the most recent research and thinking:

https://www.nimh.nih.gov/about/direc...-amnesia.shtml

Old 10-17-2016, 09:59 PM

4,578 posts, read 5,643,202 times
My very earliest memory is being probably 1-2 years old, and being woken up one night in my family's 2 BR apartment. The toilet had overflowed, and my parents were frantically trying to get it to stop. I pulled up and peered over the end of the crib and was watching them from the dark room into the lighted bathroom, fascinated by the water.

I remember being about 3 years old and mischievously hiding from my mother behind a shrub in front of our apartment. She was going nuts looking for me, but I stayed quiet and watched her calling for me and having others help look for me. I think I finally fell asleep and they found me.

About the same time, I also remember picking dozens of dandelions from a green space in the apartment complex. I also remember seeing a particular split rail fence on the way to the pediatrician's office -- whenever I saw that fence, I'd know we were headed to the doctor's office, and I didn't like it.

About age 4, we had moved to a new house, and I was playing hopscotch on top of an ottoman with a diamond pattern on it while waiting for my dad to get ready to go to an auto race. Don't know why I was so excited, I hated going to those races -- so loud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology