Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 09:44 AM

1,571 posts, read 1,118,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by llcnyc View Post
+1.
+2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 09:46 AM

20,707 posts, read 19,883,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2loud View Post
+2
3? :d

Old 11-17-2016, 09:51 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,847,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Have you tried explaining to your daughter that we're not in a depression or even a recession, that Muslims are among the most successful people in America with all the rights and privileges afforded to any other citizens and are treated with kid gloves compared to Jews in most of Europe in the 1930s, that current the president-elect has a very precarious mandate at best, and that our institutions have withstood the test of over two centuries and crises much more severe than anything we're dealing with today and are much stronger than any one man is?
Um No, the President- elect has a huge mandate and we operate by Electoral Votes. We also CAMPAIGN for Elector Votes not popular votes.

1/3 of all 700 counties that voted for Obama twice were flipped for Trump. Never has the Democrat party been so decimated. At a state and federal level. A crushing defeat. A landslide. A sound rejection of the Obama world view.

We're not voting for the President of California.

ONLY these states are pure Democrat now:

There are lots more fun facts - like 35 states are GOP governors....but I'll stop there.

GOP governors 'giddy' in wake of Donald Trump's win - CNNPolitics.com

Old 11-17-2016, 10:50 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,383,565 times
Hmmmm. Why are our school children scared. Aahhhh yes yes. Who teaches our children for 6 hours a day? And the majority of those adults.... I wonder which way they sway politically?
So hmmmm, where could my child's "hysteria" stem from??

Old 11-17-2016, 10:52 AM

626 posts, read 623,561 times
I can tell where the OP lives and why her students are worried just by the first couple sentences of her post. She is living here in California and probably teaches at a majority Latino school that may or may not be largely Illegal. This is what is being spread in a large part of the Latino and somewhat in the Filipino community as well. Hispanics are all are worried that the Illegals will get thrown out of the country, and the Hispanic media is playing into this fear. So this has led to widespread hysteria that Trump will throw out all the Illegals and how Mexicans think that Trump is racist.

My neighbor was at our house the other day talking about it how "Trump will throw out ALL the Immigrants no matter their legal status, and that my wife needs to get ready to move back to the Philippines because Trump is going to kick her out". He said this because he knows I voted for Trump and he's not happy with how I voted. We promptly told him that my wife has nothing to worry about because she is legal and everything is up to date, and how he needs to watch better news than what is being thrown out by Univision.

Old 11-17-2016, 10:59 AM

20,707 posts, read 19,883,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
Hmmmm. Why are our school children scared. Aahhhh yes yes. Who teaches our children for 6 hours a day? And the majority of those adults.... I wonder which way they sway politically?
So hmmmm, where could my child's "hysteria" stem from??
The same kind of people who let students out of class so they can protest and waste their tuition money instead of getting educated.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:15 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,061,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
But this is the first time young 21st century kids are affected and I think they're a different breed altogether compared to who came before them. They're more aware, more discerning, more critical. And yet everyday they still look to us with questions or guidance or something. Not sure what's the right thing to say to them, or how to say it.
The kids are not "more" grown up these days ... The parents are ..."less".

Old 11-17-2016, 11:26 AM

995 posts, read 1,690,303 times
Maybe if their parents were not such limpwrists they would feel a bit more secure.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:33 AM

28,624 posts, read 18,682,107 times
If young children are fearful of something so distant and metaphysical to their world as a presidential election, it's because they've been made fearful by the older generation--parents, teachers, and media.

I remember the Cuban Missile Crisis. It didn't scare me because my parents and teachers spoke in calm terms about it.

Also because the Huntley-Brinkley Report was in black and white with two men at a desk reading papers in their hands--hardly anything to capture a child's attention. Today, news programs have the production values of cartoons: Bright colors, dramatic music, flashing CGI. They might as well have Kermit and Miss Piggy reading the news...children pay attention to things they don't really understand.

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 11-17-2016 at 11:56 AM..

Old 11-17-2016, 11:48 AM

30,707 posts, read 79,590,461 times
This makes me so mad. I have even heard about kids killing themselves. The adults and the media are responsible for this. It is absurd. Lets speculate about all the bad things that could possibly happen maybe but probably not, and lets run around acting like that have already occurred and we are all going to die.

Of course the kids are scared, because the adults in their lives are idiots and insensitive.

What to tell them? Tell them nothing has happened. Tell them no one knows what the new government might or might not do and that we have a system in place the balances out extremist actions most to all of the time. Tell them the media in our country likes to get people all worked up into a frenzy and panic - it seems to amuse them and the media should ever be trusted. Tell them it is utterly foolish to worry about or fret over things that could possibly happen, or just as likely could not happen.

If some bill got passed that definitely (not possibly but definitely) creates a problems for them, then maybe start to worry (if it actually passed all the way through our entire system, not just some dumb thing that gets introduced). But still it may or may not get enforced and it may or may not survive court review. So then maybe you worry a bit, but don't panic yet.

Or maybe teach them some civics. Like maybe what things a president does and does not do. We seem to do a terrible job teaching our population this in our school system, so that might be a really good start.

I do nto know whether they still do this, but In California almost every year some bozo would introduce a bill to reinstate the draft, and send all the kids into a panic. The bill was just to make a statement. It was not going to pass, the State does not draft people anyway, but still it was used to whip high school and college kids into a panicked frenzy.

As of now, the new government has not done anything at all. In fact, they have not even been elected yet. No one knows what their plans are, they have not put forward one concrete, final, workable plan for anything that is within the president's power to do, or likely to pass through both houses of the legislature and the Supreme court.

But hey, lets all panic and scare the S654t out of our kids and make them suicidal. Great plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology