Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 11:55 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times

Advertisements

I am frequently disoriented when I wake up in darkness. The dream right before waking is that I've just found myself alone in an unfamiliar house. I have no idea how I got there or who it belongs to.

Once I get out of bed I try to find my way to the bathroom by touch but I'm expecting to feel the dream interior instead of my actual bedroom. Even when I feel the familiar furnishings (Tommy Bahama wardrobe cabinet, towel rack) of the actual bedroom, the dream persists with the addition of dissonance since I'm not touching the furniture of the unfamiliar house.

In real life my spouse is angry I'm not sleeping with him in "our" bedroom. The mattress is much too firm for me, almost unyielding, and I cannot sleep there for more than a few hours, but he feels it is his right to require me to be in bed by his side. His dissatisfaction with my move is a constant low-level tension in our relationship. The mattress is not all that's unyielding.

So I keep having these dreams about waking up in a different house. Alone. Sometimes it's a hotel room and I'm alone.

I think I know where this is heading. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2019, 03:22 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times
Marriage is about compromise. The two must change a little to become one. When I got married I had a firm mattress. Wife has spinal problems. We pulled our money together and got a queen size Select Comfort mattress. My side is firm and her side is soft. Because I work rotating shifts sometimes one of us will be sleeping in the spare room. The price of a Select Comfort twin is too high so we compromised on a medium firmness mattress for the spare room. We do fight and get angry with each other but we take the time to talk it over after cooling down. Sometimes writing our thoughts and feelings in a letter (by hand using pen and paper, not phone nor tablet) will help. For it to help both sides must try to be understanding and willing to make some compromise.

Old 08-23-2019, 08:33 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,034,249 times
When you dream about a house...YOU are always the house. Or...the house always represents you.

Old 08-23-2019, 08:45 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,710,038 times
My husband and I once stayed at a B and B where a king size mattress was too big to get into the upstairs bedroom.

Solution: The owners put in two twin mattresses and the special piece that spans the joint between them. Same width as a king.

He gets a firm mattress and you get a softer one.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:59 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,683,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
My husband and I once stayed at a B and B where a king size mattress was too big to get into the upstairs bedroom.

Solution: The owners put in two twin mattresses and the special piece that spans the joint between them. Same width as a king.

He gets a firm mattress and you get a softer one.
My parents have done this, although the one thing you have to consider is that twins are shorter than kings, so many people prefer to get the twin XL to get the length of a king. My parents have done this and are quite happy with it. I have no idea if they have different firmness. I think my mom prefers a softer mattress than my dad likes because she sleeps on her stomach and my dad sleeps on his side.

And as for the vivid dreams, MANY medications will cause that. I think allergy medications are known to do that. I am on a few and my dreams are always super vivid.

Old 08-23-2019, 10:08 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,034,249 times
You know what else gives very vivid dreams? Nicotine patches. Always take the patch off before going to bed. lol

Old 08-23-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
And as for the vivid dreams, MANY medications will cause that. I think allergy medications are known to do that. I am on a few and my dreams are always super vivid.
I’m on lisinopril/hctz, Tylenol and Flonase.

Old 08-23-2019, 11:11 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,657,996 times
Why don't you get a new mattress?

Old 08-23-2019, 04:33 PM

I posted this in Psychology because I thought the recurring dreams were telling me I should be alone. You always get a little more than you bargain for on C-D, though. Dream analysis comes with a soupçon of mattress advice.

Old 08-23-2019, 05:25 PM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I posted this in Psychology because I thought the recurring dreams were telling me I should be alone. You always get a little more than you bargain for on C-D, though. Dream analysis comes with a soupçon of mattress advice.
Dreams are abstract. Some of us focused on the real life part of your post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology