Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2016, 10:56 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,335,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaifood View Post
I was once working with a kid in his 20s in an IT programming job. He was lazy and would not do anything. He would leave his desk all the time and wander. They asked me what to do about him. I said, I'll talk to him. I told him that I was going to recommend he be fired if he didn't start working. He laughed. So I told the boss to fire him and that he was not going to work.

The boss said oh we don't want to do that and they transferred him to another division. I was floored.
Sounds like your boss is the actual issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 11:22 AM

8,012 posts, read 8,176,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I'm posting my observations.

You are insulting me for posting my observations.

If you don't like my observations, you can try to refute them. Or ignore them. Insulting me is not a way to get your point across, whatever that is. You have brought nothing to the table. Carry on, I'll wait for you to post another insult.
The reps I've gotten on my comments say otherwise. If you consider calling your attitude into question insults you then I don't know what to tell you. It's been my experience that if a certain group of people senses that someone has hostility towards them just because they belong to that group then they will not be willing to open up to you. Pretty much creating a loop of negative feedback where you feel your opinion of them is justified.

Me and some other posters share the same opinion, some millennials are fine people some others not so much. I'm of the opinion of the whole who's generation is better argument pointless and childish because every generation including the ones dumping on millennials was dumped on by those who came before them.

Old 11-30-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Stereotypes exists because entire groups of people behave a certain way.
Stereotyping seems to be a convient excuse to harbor prejudices and treat others poorly. It is rooted in primative tribalism.

Old 11-30-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
It's funny because those born in the early 1980s and the 2000s didn't have the same experience. They are like two generations apart.

Kids born in the 1980s grew up with no mobile phones, DVDs, HD TVs and internet (for the most part). On the other hand, those born in the 2000s grew up with smartphones, tablets, ubiquitous internet and not just DVDs, but Blu-Rays.

Heck, I was born in the early 90s. We didn't use the internet until 2003. My childhood was all about VHS's until 2003 when we got a DVD player. So even some folks in my age group didn't get to experience such sophisticated gadgets that early in their life.

I would personally have a Gen category for those born in the 80s and early 90s.
Perhaps the problem is you take this generation stuff too seriously.

Old 11-30-2016, 11:33 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,774,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I'm happy to say that not all of them fit the perception or myths. My most recent hire is a millennial, age 24, and just passed probation with a nice raise due to her great performance. After her degree she worked two years in the field, barely meeting our requirements, but caught on to everything very quickly. She is the first one here every day after me, starts at 7am and is always at her desk about 10 minutes before. In another department just down the hall there is a jr. design engineer about the same age that has been here over a year. I sometimes work with her boss, and he says she is a great worker and is expected to move up soon.
You're fortunate. The two I manage are very entitled, fitting the stereotype. They're not as difficult as some I've seen, but still not easy. One never works past 5:00 and tries to milk the company for everything he can. Though I will say he does quality work and is efficient. The other also does quality work, but thinks just because she's put in some time, that that AUTOMATICALLY means shes entitled to a promotion. She did get one, but a year after she wanted it and almost quit when she initially didn't get her way. She has no idea how hard the real world is and how good she has it here in the bubble. Most companies wouldn't be so understanding. I think she feels like being a woman puts her at a disadvantage, but with my company its quite the opposite. Both need to start thinking about the company and making other people look good, not just themselves. Part of that is the generation and part is just lack of experience I guess. He's 31 and she's 26.

Old 11-30-2016, 11:35 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,062,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Stereotyping seems to be a convient excuse to harbor prejudices and treat others poorly. It is rooted in primative tribalism.
That too. It gives excuses to racists and xenophobes but as long as large groups of people create the stereotypes they have to own them. Here in the south there is something the black people say called "CP Time" meaning "colored people time". They use it because they are often very late. Like a 11am appointment might be arrived at at 3pm. As long as a group continues a behavior, they have to own the stereotype.

Old 11-30-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
That too. It gives excuses to racists and xenophobes but as long as large groups of people create the stereotypes they have to own them. Here in the south there is something the black people say called "CP Time" meaning "colored people time". They use it because they are often very late. Like a 11am appointment might be arrived at at 3pm. As long as a group continues a behavior, they have to own the stereotype.
And so what group are you a part of? Have you faced stereotypes?

Old 11-30-2016, 11:51 AM

11,138 posts, read 7,874,955 times
[quote=hbdwihdh378y9;46351252]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferashley View Post

What is wrong with you?
I am good... thanks for asking.

Old 11-30-2016, 03:11 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,085,484 times
As a professional millennial I feel obligated to join the conversation and defend my generation.

Truth is, the "typical millennial" stereotype didn't originate out of thin air. Many of my peers (27-32) are still living like 20 year old college drop outs either because they are dropouts, or because they haven't achieved anything of real substance. Either way, entitlement is their prominent trait, closely followed by a lack of self-motivation--the kind that helps you realize there's no magic and if you want to become something you need to put in the work.

Now for the defending. I'm one of those that believes people are a product of their environment. Both of my parents are successful entrepreneurs, still married, and gave me advice to help assimilate to reality...not fantasy. Despite their wealth, they chose to not pay for my education and instead provided advice on how to navigate rough financial waters. I now do very well, and I largely accredit my success to the moral teachings of my parents. There are many examples of this and there always will be no matter how "bad" the next generation is. Let's not forget this.

In the OP's situation, the hiring manager should be scolded...not the entire generation that the applicant belongs to. These poor quality traits are easily vetted during an interview.

Old 11-30-2016, 05:16 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,774,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
As a professional millennial I feel obligated to join the conversation and defend my generation.

Truth is, the "typical millennial" stereotype didn't originate out of thin air. Many of my peers (27-32) are still living like 20 year old college drop outs either because they are dropouts, or because they haven't achieved anything of real substance. Either way, entitlement is their prominent trait, closely followed by a lack of self-motivation--the kind that helps you realize there's no magic and if you want to become something you need to put in the work.

Now for the defending. I'm one of those that believes people are a product of their environment. Both of my parents are successful entrepreneurs, still married, and gave me advice to help assimilate to reality...not fantasy. Despite their wealth, they chose to not pay for my education and instead provided advice on how to navigate rough financial waters. I now do very well, and I largely accredit my success to the moral teachings of my parents. There are many examples of this and there always will be no matter how "bad" the next generation is. Let's not forget this.

In the OP's situation, the hiring manager should be scolded...not the entire generation that the applicant belongs to. These poor quality traits are easily vetted during an interview.
Well said, and good for you. You know, my generation was criticized a lot too, it was just pre social media. It may seem like there's more criticism of Millennials to you than any other generation, but its because of social media. Of course there are exceptions, and you are one. Stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason, and you recognize that. I'd rather have soeone like you working for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology