Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2016, 11:30 PM

676 posts, read 528,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
I could kind of understand why someone might want marriage or children, but my emotional needs work in a way that I have absolutely no idea why anyone would want monogamy. Kids are cute, and marriage can provide plenty of advantages, but the idea of getting into any kind of relationship where another person besides myself is the center of my world seems bizarrely alien to me. I'll work for others. I'll nod and smile for others, but my thoughts and my heart is mine alone, and I can't imagine wanting things any other way than that.

Therefore, I see most people as very interesting, confusing, but mostly interesting, and cute. I often see adults, male or female, regardless of whether they're middle aged mothers or 400 pound male truckers as cute. I have a great deal of affection for our species...not so much for individuals though. For most it seems like they see things the opposite way. Screw the world. My family matters. For me, my affection is more spread out. I can't replace the strangers with relatives or friends. I can't forget about Joe the adorable 350 pound trucker with the mustard stains on his shirt and the smut book on tape playing with the male narrator trying unsuccessfully to sound like a sexy green scantily-clad alien woman. I have a weird paternal instinct.
The other person does not become the center of your world, but rather shares that particular space with you.

I see most people as not worth the bother. It isn't so much 'screw the world' as it is a disappointment with people in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2016, 11:54 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
Repped! Clintone here pretty much read my mind.
Good to hear.

Old 12-25-2016, 04:15 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwoman View Post
The other person does not become the center of your world, but rather shares that particular space with you.
Yeah, I don't get that

Quote:
I see most people as not worth the bother. It isn't so much 'screw the world' as it is a disappointment with people in general.

My affection for the species exists regardless of how we behave. My affection for white Europeans would have been equal to my affection for their slaves back a few centuries ago. I just kind of see every member of the species, including myself, as growing children, and children often just don't know any better. I see humanity as cute little kids, and I can't help at beam at their successes, going all the way back to the first being to use fire as a tool. I bet he or she was very brave, idealistic, foolhardy, and curious.

That doesn't require any effort on my part. That's just kind of my natural state. So, compared to that it looks like everyone is very tribal to me, not that that's a bad thing.

Old 12-26-2016, 02:40 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Repped! Clintone here pretty much read my mind.
Classic signs of narcissism. Don't get married you guys. Neither of you will be happy.

Old 12-26-2016, 08:07 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,721,626 times
To be totally honest....romantic love and what people do while they are in love completely escapes me. I also don't understand why the people I've encountered feel the need to comment about how I need to have had a boyfriend by now. I also don't understand why they are so curious about it.

I don't get optimism either. I do...but it's not realistic to me.

Old 12-26-2016, 08:16 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
I hate emotions but I have them. Trying to decipher them is like spitting in the wind.

Old 12-26-2016, 09:57 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,876,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auraliea View Post
I don't get optimism either. I do...but it's not realistic to me.
You and me both. I think optimists were either born with a silver spoon in their mouth or are just really good at deluding themselves. I'm neither of these, so...

Old 12-26-2016, 10:19 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,170,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
I noticed the same thing about society. We are SUPPOSE to be the bigger person by being outwardly nice/polite to people who insult/hurt us because that's MATURITY and being an ADULT. We are suppose to show that we can be level-headed/calm/respectful to someone who insults/hurts us. We should sign a farewell card or go to a funeral of someone who insult/hurt us because that's the RIGHT thing to do. When we don't do these right things, WE look bad, not the other person who insult/hurt us!! I am so BOTHERED by this!!!!!
I recently lost my relationship with a family member because I felt he was belittling me with his comments and after about the 6th comment I kinda exploded and told him it wasn't helpful for him to be saying those things. It's the last he spoke to me and his wife no longer speaks to me. It is apparently ok for him to be insensitive and belittling but not for me to speak up in my own defense.

I don't really understand anger. I understand what causes mine, etc. but since it is not ok in society to release it, I don't know what I'm supposed to do with it.

I am still struggling with this. Other people are thinking of me as not a nice person, etc., all my relationships are strained right now. Even with my DH. I don't know what to do.

Old 12-27-2016, 02:21 PM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
When abusers try to get out of it by acting like what they did was no big deal.

Victim - "You cheated/stole my credit card/punched my dog."
Abuser - "And?"

I get denying the act, making excuses, deflecting blame, etc. Not this. I suppose it could be the behavior of a sociopath who really thinks those things are ok, however they have got to know the normal person/victim does is not going to agree.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:13 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
You and me both. I think optimists were either born with a silver spoon in their mouth or are just really good at deluding themselves. I'm neither of these, so...
I'm neither. But I think a positive attitude can encourage more positive results - so the positivity feeds on itself. And then - VOILA - you're more inclined to think, "Hey, things will probably work out," because...well, because they usually do, and part of the reason they usually do is because you go into things with a positive mindset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology