Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 09:36 AM

16,010 posts, read 21,025,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
One of the things I like about pets is you never have to prepare them for the real world, and you never have to prepare them to live on their own...I'm a natural worrier, and if I had a kid I would have a hard time letting him become independent, I would be terrified as soon as he was old enough to ride his bike away from the house. With a dog though, you can just love them and keep them safe and never let them out of your sight or worry about their future.

The drawback of course is to get your heart broken over and over every 10 or 15 years.
You have a point. It reminds me of women I know who keep having another baby after their last kid is in school, because they just really love having a baby at home to take care of. Guess I'm just not that nurturing, lol

Old 12-11-2016, 12:13 PM

50,470 posts, read 36,126,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
You have a point. It reminds me of women I know who keep having another baby after their last kid is in school, because they just really love having a baby at home to take care of. Guess I'm just not that nurturing, lol
It's not just that. Part of it is that I enjoy being able to create a Marshmallow world for a pet so to speak...I can spoil him rotten and allow it to live its life believing life is all squeaky toys and belly rubs.You never have to see his face the first time someone shuns him or hurts him and he realizes life can be harsh

I am not a disciplinarian type person...I'm a pushover, and both kids and animals know I'm full of sh*t when I try to act firm...with a pet, it doesn't matter though if he's spoiled and misbehaves because I don't have to ready him for the "real world".

Old 12-11-2016, 12:45 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,457,370 times
Learned reaction. Humans have anthropomorphized animals to the point where people have forgotten concern for other humans.

Old 12-11-2016, 02:00 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,175,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I feel sorry for your Miniature Pinschers. The dog next door stays outside all the time. She's going crazy from loneliness and boredom and constantly lunges at our shared fence, trying to get into our yard. Because of this, she's destroying the fence slowly and whenever she makes a hole, she peeks through it wanting to play with my dogs. I don't understand why people get a dog, only to throw them out in the backyard alone all the time. What's the point of using a dog as a living piece of patio furniture? At least outdoor working dogs have a purpose.
That dog is alone. Our dogs were always playing together, and running around. They got walked. And I played with them constantly. But they did not LIVE in the house. It's not practical when you had 5 of them. Started with 2, but puppies cam soon afterward. They live outside, where they also went to the bathroom, and ate. And never did they do the stuff your neighbor's dog does. Hell, they had their own swimming pool outside. And if I wasn't out back giving them attention, they would sometimes be let inside to play for a while, but they always had to go back out. They were not house-dogs. And, before you think they were in poverty, they also had doghouses. And during winter if it was very cold, we put blankets out for them. They usually all wanted to sleep in 1 dog house anyway, despite their being more out back.

So, take your own advice from the relationship thread about the cheating. Where you rationalized why it was ok for you to cheat on your ex, -that others need not judge you for it since it wasn't them in the situation -and they don't get the full story.

That'd be like if I said "I feel bad for your ex who had a selfish cheat for a girlfriend" -and telling you that w/o knowing the inside story which I wasn't there to see or get.

I don't know your neighbor -and they have nothing to do with me. All dogs who don't live indoors are not abused and going crazy. Your neighbor doesn't represent everyone. So if you have problems with their treatment of their dog, take it up with them.

Last edited by HappyRain; 12-11-2016 at 03:01 PM..

Old 12-11-2016, 02:25 PM

14,263 posts, read 11,573,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
Any dogs I had stayed outside. We had a fenced backyard big enough for them to run around in. It helped they were min pins. So no cleaning up after them was needed.
I don't understand how any dog can not need cleaning up after. It doesn't matter if you have the tiniest Chihuahua in the world, eventually the yard will still be full of stinky dog poop.

Old 12-11-2016, 02:38 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,175,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I don't understand how any dog can not need cleaning up after. It doesn't matter if you have the tiniest Chihuahua in the world, eventually the yard will still be full of stinky dog poop.
They dogs actually had this one area in the yard where they went to the bathroom. So they didn't go all over the yard. And our yard was big enough to accommodate for it. In the country, with lots of land and room, no biggie. But in a city, where things are more confined, then I could see your point. You don't have space to waste...No pun intended. We have lots of cows around, and I don't think anyone cleans up their crap. lol

So I guess that's an advantage to having pets in the country vs. pets in the city. In the city, they will take more work.

My friend has pets that live indoors, but when it's bathroom time, they just go outback in the yard, and everyone goes about their business. Them going to the bathroom inside is what you have to clean up, followed by strong mopping and scrubbing, and disinfecting in general. Being outside, it takes care of itself.

Last edited by HappyRain; 12-11-2016 at 03:39 PM..

Old 12-11-2016, 04:16 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,919,710 times
I'm not a huge fan of babies, but toddlers are adorable. I love their chirpy little voices and how they are just like teeny tiny people. Babies often don't look quite human.

But ANY baby animal, wild or domesticated, is beyond cute. I absolutely love all animals and like the way they look both as infants and when they are grown.

Old 12-11-2016, 10:21 PM

23,966 posts, read 32,289,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red as Gold View Post

I learned this in college. It's probably why new borns never really appealed to me. As they approach a year, they are much more attractive.

Puppies look cute in about 2 weeks. I'd say puppies.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:17 AM

1,186 posts, read 961,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Before I had children of my own I never cared for kids. There are plenty of people who love their own kids and are indifferent to other children. You will never know this unless you have kids of your own.

I think many childless dog owners are like you. They want to experience love with little responsibility. When I read the posts the number one reason to prefer a dog is always ME, ME, ME and less responsibility or commitment. At the end the dog is a surrogate child.

Emphasis mine. I've actually heard this reasoning a lot, but isn't that kind of a huge risk to take both for yourself and your potential kids? I'd rather say that people who don't care for kids should do some careful consideration before deciding to have one. It's like people who get married hoping that they can 'fix' or 'change' the other party. It rarely happens and ends in a lot of misery and unhappiness for everyone involved.

I'm surprised people would give so little consideration to what is arguably such a life-altering decision, especially when they're not enthused about children in the first place. So yes, I'll stick with my selfish dog ownership for now (a decision which, in itself took me several years to be absolutely *sure*) rather than playing Russian roulette, Parenthood edition.

Old 12-12-2016, 04:46 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,307,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladlensky View Post

I'm surprised people would give so little consideration to what is arguably such a life-altering decision, especially when they're not enthused about children in the first place. So yes, I'll stick with my selfish dog ownership for now (a decision which, in itself took me several years to be absolutely *sure*) rather than playing Russian roulette, Parenthood edition.
I think it is not that difficult to know if one wants or not.

I had five children and now have 10 grandchildren. The family is quite large and we are always busy with a family gathering at least once or twice a week. As a young single man this concept of having a large family was not in my radar. But, now that I am in my 60s a family is a blessing. My wife and I have created a dynasty!

My best friend is my same age and never had children. I had to "adopt" him and his wife so they can have a family. With no family you will be alone as you age. Unless someone adopts you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.