Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 02:39 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,191,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
There is a MAJOR difference between not caring for something and despising something. Not caring for something is saying "just not my speed" and moving on. Despising something is saying "I hate it" and dedicating ongoing energy to hating it.
Agreed here. But people who are defensive go from 1 extreme to the next.

Not caring for children, or having the interest and motivation to raising them isn't the same as hating them. Just means you don't have any interest.

You are either interested in something, or you're not. It's not controllable. Like if you try to tell people what sexual preference they should have.

1. You can't be gay, because gay couples can't procreate naturally. So, homosexuality is unnatural.
2. You should be bi, or pan, sexual because you never know what gender your true love will be.
3. You can't date outside of your race, because we look different for a reason -we shouldn't mix.
4. You shouldn't have kids because the world is overcrowded. Adopt them instead.

If having kids and procreating is vital to some, they can do that themselves, and have dozens of them. 3-8. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
In Germany they pay women to have children. I think it is important to procreate.
Even if it's for the wrong reason I guess.

So it's selfish to not have kids. But it's somehow less selfish to have them just because someone gave you money to do so? I don't get that logic.

I will have kids if there's something external in it for me -in this case money.

Sounds very selfish and "ME ME ME"

Old 12-13-2016, 03:54 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
So it's selfish to not have kids. But it's somehow less selfish to have them just because someone gave you money to do so? I don't get that logic.

I will have kids if there's something external in it for me -in this case money.

Sounds very selfish and "ME ME ME"
Most Germans refuse the money and have no kids. The German government is concerned with the extinction of the German population. Sure, some may say it is racist to preserve an ancient culture, but that is not the point. The same applies to Japan who is also destined to become extinct. Why do you think the Chinese got rid of the one child per couple edict?

Old 12-13-2016, 11:23 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,806,896 times
Quote:
In Germany they pay women to have children. I think it is important to procreate.
And I don't think it is important to procreate just for the sake of procreation. Many people can't afford children, or they just don't want any. Why should they (and the child) have to suffer? There are plenty of people on this planet as it is.

Old 12-14-2016, 05:36 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
I had five children and now have 10 grandchildren. The family is quite large and we are always busy with a family gathering at least once or twice a week. As a young single man this concept of having a large family was not in my radar. But, now that I am in my 60s a family is a blessing. My wife and I have created a dynasty!

OMG shoot me now. That sounds like my husband's family. His parents have 6 children. My husband is the only one out of state. Lots of grandkids and yes they get together for way too many functions. They "put on the show" but I think when his parents are gone the kids(all mid 50's-60's) will not get together anymore. They all complain about each other and the "too many" gatherings. It gets old.(just ask the grandkids) It might be great if you really like your family but not all people do.

Glad it works for you but do not assume children and families are all great. There are many cases where that is not true.

Anyway that is way off topic. The question when you look at them do you think babies or puppies are cuter? That's all.

Last edited by ylisa7; 12-14-2016 at 05:45 AM..

Old 12-14-2016, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
And I don't think it is important to procreate just for the sake of procreation. Many people can't afford children, or they just don't want any. Why should they (and the child) have to suffer? There are plenty of people on this planet as it is.
You are looking at 1960s data.

The birthrate has been declining for the last two decades. The predicted explosion in world population is not happening. Even India has decreased the birthrate. Europeans and Asians are reproducing at a rate that is not high enough to maintain the population.

Old 12-14-2016, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
OMG shoot me now. That sounds like my husband's family. His parents have 6 children. My husband is the only one out of state. Lots of grandkids and yes they get together for way too many functions. They "put on the show" but I think when his parents are gone the kids(all mid 50's-60's) will not get together anymore. They all complain about each other and the "too many" gatherings. It gets old.(just ask the grandkids) It might be great if you really like your family but not all people do.
Are you saying that dysfunctional families should not have children? That is rather sad.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:23 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
Are you saying that dysfunctional families should not have children? That is rather sad.
I didn't say they were dysfunctional. I said they spend too much time together and it gets old. The 20 something year old grandkids have a life of their own and friends of their own. They are bored to death at the family get togethers and only go out of respect and family obligation or as I have heard for the good food depending on who is cooking.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I didn't say they were dysfunctional. I said they spend too much time together and it gets old. The 20 something year old grandkids have a life of their own and friends of their own. They are bored to death at the family get togethers and only go out of respect and family obligation or as I have heard for the good food depending on who is cooking.
So family should spend less time together? (see bold).

The 20 something grandkids have a life? Yeah, I get that, so what? I am sure they enjoyed the family when they were kids. It is normal to try to be independent at that age. And I am certain these 20 year olds are happy they were not replaced by a dog by their parents. Nevertheless, in this era the trend is clear. Many women are replacing babies with dogs. And they treat the dogs like children.

Old 12-14-2016, 07:39 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,191,696 times
Quote:
So family should spend less time together? (see bold).

The 20 something grandkids have a life? Yeah, I get that, so what? I am sure they enjoyed the family when they were kids. It is normal to try to be independent at that age. And I am certain these 20 year olds are happy they were not replaced by a dog by their parents. Nevertheless, in this era the trend is clear. Many women are replacing babies with dogs. And they treat the dogs like children.
And if they do, who cares? How does that effect you personally?

Some people men gay, and in relationships that will not constitute having children naturally. Are you gonna complain homosexual men are destroying everything as well?

Fact of the matter is, everyone is not gonna be big on having large families. If you believe in it, and have created your large family, great. Tend to your business and your part. Don't nag or talk down on others who don't see families, or babies as you do.

Some people think puppies are cuter than babies. And that was all this thread was about. The initial reaction when you see one or the other.

But you turned it into a discussion about the importance of family, and how that should come before anything else -just because you think so. Nobody was discussing that. And if someone doesn't place emphasis on family, you aren't going to change anyone's opinion within the confines of this thread.

Some people think family is just a bunch of people you get stuck with. And it'll be friends that they place importance on, because they each other, which you don't get with family.

Last edited by HappyRain; 12-14-2016 at 08:01 AM..

Old 12-14-2016, 07:54 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
That is not at all what she was saying, though I agree it would be irresponsible to bring a child into a dysfunctional family situation. She was saying forced family get togethers too often will push family away rather than bringing them close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology