Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 03:44 PM

776 posts, read 580,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I won't be coming out to him any time soon but if I did, I would make sure of this. One thing a lot of straight guys who are uncomfortable with homosexuals fear is that when a friend comes out as gay that they will try to make a move on them. I have a good friend who is atheist and somewhat homophobic. I am gay but in the closet and I doubt he even suspects that I might be gay.
That actually sounds like a good post, an actual problem. I can't sit here and tell you what you should do or what will work. However, I think the anxiety might be doing you some harm. Personally, it shouldn't matter that your gay, but I don't know your friend or relationship. Overall I think it would be healthier to let him know.
Quote:
Sometimes in our conversations, he can get really homophobic and since he is atheist, it isn't a religious thing to him but more the fact he places a very high value on masculinity and thinks "gays are icky." I personally thing he may not be super comfortable with his own sexuality as he is one of those people that becomes extremely uncomfortable in a situation where someone might question his sexuality.
I get very confused about this, but usually masculinity(hormones) don't go hand in hand with logic. I have had many friend that were homophobic. I kept trying to tell them how stupid that thought process was, as we were not attractive, fit, or sophisticated. I think to have this fear, many have to be very delusional about their overall appeal. Then realize the simple fact all homos aren't sex crazed rapist.
Quote:
However, I was surprised a few nights ago we were hanging out and he invited some friends over to hang out with us and they were a married gay couple. He treated them completely normal and with respect and showed no sign of homophobia. This actually shocked me given the homophobic attitude this guy will sometimes have. Has anybody ever known anybody like this?
As he might of said bad things, he can't really be a total homophobe if he as two gay (or technically three) gay friends that he respects. I dislike when two men kiss but have overlooked that if they are friend compatible enough. It's the same with pretty girl with an annoying laugh. You have to pick your battles wisely. Maybe he likes the gay couple in question enough to sit through the homo-affection times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 03:46 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
I have a good friend who is atheist and somewhat homophobic. I am gay but in the closet and I doubt he even suspects that I might be gay. Sometimes in our conversations, he can get really homophobic and since he is atheist, it isn't a religious thing to him but more the fact he places a very high value on masculinity and thinks "gays are icky." I personally thing he may not be super comfortable with his own sexuality as he is one of those people that becomes extremely uncomfortable in a situation where someone might question his sexuality.

However, I was surprised a few nights ago we were hanging out and he invited some friends over to hang out with us and they were a married gay couple. He treated them completely normal and with respect and showed no sign of homophobia. This actually shocked me given the homophobic attitude this guy will sometimes have.

Has anybody ever known anybody like this?
Bawac, how much of this is caused by the fact you're closeted and the dichotomy that causes?

Old 12-09-2016, 06:37 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,776,727 times
Quote:
I have a good friend who is atheist and somewhat homophobic. I am gay but in the closet and I doubt he even suspects that I might be gay. Sometimes in our conversations, he can get really homophobic and since he is atheist, it isn't a religious thing to him but more the fact he places a very high value on masculinity and thinks "gays are icky." I personally thing he may not be super comfortable with his own sexuality as he is one of those people that becomes extremely uncomfortable in a situation where someone might question his sexuality.

However, I was surprised a few nights ago we were hanging out and he invited some friends over to hang out with us and they were a married gay couple. He treated them completely normal and with respect and showed no sign of homophobia. This actually shocked me given the homophobic attitude this guy will sometimes have.

Yup. Nearly all bigots are this way. Its what I call the "n-word you know" syndrome.

EG - Gays are horrible awful people who should be shunned, rejected, maybe even killed. Except this gay guy I know right here is an exception. But all the other gay people are Bad and deserving of your vitriol.

Its really common in the deep south for even the most obvious flaming racists to have black "friends" who seem to be accepted, but to still spill hatred all over the entire African "race" as a whole.

Its how they get away in their own consciousness with justifying their (totally unjustifiable) bigotry - "THIS n-word is a fine fellow, if only all the other n-words were like him it would be great." Their seeming acceptance of "the n-word I know" gives the bigot in question protection from the idea of their own bigotry, because obviously they don't hate ALL n-words, just all the OTHER n-words.

They're still bigots. They just make a few exceptions to the targets of their hatred, usually because their whatever-minority "friend" is so patently not someone to whom they can apply stereotypical excuses for hatred. It's the "some of my best friends are ..." paradigm at work.

Sorry, but having "2 or 3" gay friends DOES NOT mean its impossible to be a bigot - homophobia is homophobia, even if you "tolerate" specific individuals who are gay. You don't get a pass on your bigotry just because you make a few exceptions to your Rule of Hatred.

Old 12-16-2016, 05:11 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,301,870 times
People often say bigoted things without really meaning them. Especially when they are younger & looking for cheap jokes at directed at the groups of people they don't think are present in their current company.

I am half-Jewish but don't look Jewish at all (blond, high cheekbones) and I have heard far more Jewish jokes - sometimes quite nasty - than I care to remember, often from people who I know well who have many Jewish friends and genuinely like them. I'd say only a small percentage of these people are really Anti-Semitic, the vast majority just say things they don't really mean.

And this kind of attitude is far more widespread when talking about gay people. At least for the people raised in the 70s, 80s and 90s. Again, they are not necessarily anti-gay, but they grew up when gay jokes were still culturally accepted.

Old 12-16-2016, 06:37 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,048 times
Quote:

Yes, and they were gay. As we found out, much much later, when they finally admitted it to themselves.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:56 AM

2,540 posts, read 2,755,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
People often say bigoted things without really meaning them. Especially when they are younger & looking for cheap jokes at directed at the groups of people they don't think are present in their current company.
I disagree, people often say bigoted things because they really mean them. Their comments are usually a reflection of how they really feel deep down inside. They may have respect for someone that they personally know who just happens to be gay, black, etc. But, that does not mean that they don't feel animosity in general towards others who are like that person.

Old 12-16-2016, 03:11 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Quote:
I am gay but in the closet and I doubt he even suspects that I might be gay. Sometimes in our conversations, he can get really homophobic...
Maybe he DOES suspect you are gay, and may be baiting you to see if you will come to the defense of homosexuality.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:35 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,301,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
I disagree, people often say bigoted things because they really mean them. Their comments are usually a reflection of how they really feel deep down inside. They may have respect for someone that they personally know who just happens to be gay, black, etc. But, that does not mean that they don't feel animosity in general towards others who are like that person.
I've said a few homophobic jokes back when I was in my teens (that's 80s when the homophobia was still very prevalent). Yet I was never anti-gay and never understood why their lifestyle is anyone's business but their own. When you're young and stupid and want cheap laughs and don't think that your jokes would be heard by anyone they denigrate, you often do stupid things. Perhaps it's different now that the kids are being bombarded with PC from an early age.

Sure, people say bigoted things because they mean them, too. They say them for a whole variety of reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology