Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 04:27 PM

134 posts, read 191,804 times

Advertisements

Some people out there get showed with attention like gifts, time devoted to them and compliments given to them while others get absolutely nothing of that kind and are ignored even though some of them are just as worthy for such attention of the other some people, so why is this case, What factors to this are there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 04:46 PM

876 posts, read 1,000,715 times
Are you pretty to look at?

That is all there is to it. Men don't give a **** about how smart you think you are. Not saying this to be mean, just being honest. It's one of the reasons I just lol at women who spend their entire youth educating themselves and getting a carrier, and then complain that nobody wants them anymore once they are older and start to actually date.

The female dating pool after 30:

Old 12-07-2016, 04:55 PM

212 posts, read 195,119 times
OP, I'm not sure your question is related to the dating arena, specifically, or to life in general. However, yes, the more attractive one is, the smoother the path in society. Attractive individuals are served better, given the right of way more often, treated more kindly, garner more compliments, etc. It's the way of the world.

Old 12-07-2016, 06:36 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,340,178 times
That pool looks OK. At least there is SOME water in it! You have to be optimistic when you get to my age (65). Gender has nothing to do w/ it, trust me. It's a human condition in Western society, especially as we age.

I love the question, and will tell you that in my experience, those people that are sincere and good get kicked to the side, and those that are vain and insincere have LOTS of friends! You could go nuts trying to figure it out, so best to simply let it go, observe things, and see what comes up for you.

It makes sense though, because any fool can see that our society is run by the wrong values, so if you have good values you will be in the minority and have less chance of making good friends. The key words here are "good friends". Just because someone flatters you and gives you a lot of attention does not necessarily mean that they are sincere. If I were to go back to drugging and drinking I would have no end of "friends", but would I want those types around me? As we get healthier, the pool begins to look like the one above, but as I said, the pool at least does exist. We just have to work harder to get in there and have a nice swim w/ others. As long as we like ourselves and stick to our values we can't go wrong.

Old 12-07-2016, 06:43 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl Friday View Post
OP, I'm not sure your question is related to the dating arena, specifically, or to life in general. However, yes, the more attractive one is, the smoother the path in society. Attractive individuals are served better, given the right of way more often, treated more kindly, garner more compliments, etc. It's the way of the world.
That is a bunch of hooey in a hand basket when it comes to the actual real world.
Many are treated the way they treat others and physical attraction which is in the eye of the beholder is not a guarantee of personable attraction.
It is a really good stereotype to continue to shove down everyone's throat though........

Old 12-07-2016, 07:03 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Some people are good at orchestrating that kind of attention, OP. Others aren't; some people are raised in families that discount them or worse, so they may have a deep-seated belief that they're not worthy,though not on a conscious level. So they're unaware that they project a sort of "I'm nothing" vibe. Other people are shy, and give out subtle signals that they don't want to be the center of attention.

But to some extent, attractiveness has something to do with it, IMO. There's more to it than that, though.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
I love the question, and will tell you that in my experience, those people that are sincere and good get kicked to the side, and those that are vain and insincere have LOTS of friends! You could go nuts trying to figure it out, so best to simply let it go, observe things, and see what comes up for you.
I've noticed a tendency toward this, but it also seems that the sincere, good people are noticed and appreciated if they're outgoing and outspoken to some degree. If they're shy or subdued, they tend to get overlooked or run over.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
Are you pretty to look at?

That is all there is to it. Men don't give a **** about how smart you think you are. Not saying this to be mean, just being honest. It's one of the reasons I just lol at women who spend their entire youth educating themselves and getting a carrier, and then complain that nobody wants them anymore once they are older and start to actually date.

The female dating pool after 30:
haha, seriously? One can only conclude that you're not active in the 30+ dating pool. How old are you, anyway? Not old enough to know what's going on with the 30-something ladies, apparently.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:11 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,301,494 times
Some get attention
BECAUSE THEY HOLLER!!!

Old 12-07-2016, 08:31 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,401,997 times
This can depend on a number different factors that don't have anything to do with looks. Perhaps someone relates to someone so much that that they may be more friendly toward that person or do them favors... Some people may feel sorry for some people and may feel obligated to give back and want to make their lives easier. Some people get a lot more attention than others and there is no point to overthink it....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology