Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 08:58 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times

Advertisements

I think you have mastered the art of wanting what you need and not needing what you want CosmoStars. I have lived by that philosophy for decades and the byproduct of that thinking was early retirement and financial independence at a young age.

There is something about the way that I'm wired that makes me great with managing money and making it grow. It's something that I can't help any more then I can help about the way I think of the way life should be.

Maybe some day you can find a way to live in both worlds? You certainly have the right mentality. There's nothing wrong with having money, it's actually pretty nice, as long as it doesn't consume you and define you. Think of it as a tool and a much needed back up system. You can still live a simple life with money, it just adds a very comforting feeling of security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 09:05 AM

2,495 posts, read 1,869,118 times
I have no debt. My charge card is paid in full each month. I have no mortgage. I have no car payment.
I still have a "dumb" phone.
I drive a 14-year-old car (and take good care of it). I hope to get another six years out of it.
I live in a 1000-sq-ft home in a working-class neighborhood.
I buy most of my clothes at resale shops or sales.
I only eat out once a week.

I live a "simple" life most of the year so that I can travel the rest of the time. Travel is what is important to me. My travel isn't extravagant but I've seen things that blew my mind.

Most people would call my every day life "mediocre". I call it "what-it-takes-to-have-a-few-months-a-year-of-highly-non-mediocre-life". It's worth it.

Old 12-10-2016, 09:52 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,570,751 times
Do what makes you happy! There's no reason to keep up with Joneses.

Most of my family lives overseas, and there the feeling is more "work to live" and not "live to work".
They're very relaxed, unpretentious people, and it's wonderfully different from what I know here in the US.

Good for you. I love this post.
I wish you well.

Old 12-10-2016, 10:28 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheotherMarie View Post
Do what makes you happy! There's no reason to keep up with Joneses.

Most of my family lives overseas, and there the feeling is more "work to live" and not "live to work".
They're very relaxed, unpretentious people, and it's wonderfully different from what I know here in the US.

Good for you. I love this post.
I wish you well.

That is great.. Where do they live? Are they from the US originally?

Old 12-10-2016, 10:34 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
I don't want kids
I don't want debt
I don't want new cars
I don't want a job with too much responsibilities.
I don't want the Iphone 7 ( Iphone 5 will do!)
I don't want an expensive ass house

Im actually okay with used cars ( as long as it works)
Im okay with not having kids They are cute but I don't want them seems like too much stress all the time
I only want easy office jobs where you clock in do your thing go home which I have.

Im okay with living in just an apartment for now and the only long term goal I want is just to retire on a low cost of living area in a condo.

Im okay with just getting married and sharing with my wife my life thats it.
I want to enjoy life( on occasions travel around the world, visit more areas in california, play a sports together swim together, watch christmas movies for christmas, decorate our tree, go to the zoo lights once every christmas, etc) with my wife/girlfriend.
Spend money on some vacation dinner dates my personal hobbies etc

Forget the house

Are adults just generally expect to be stressed all the time and just work so damn hard all the time?

I want only a low stress mediocre simple lifestyle.

Does any one feel the same way? Or is it just me

Why do I feel this way?
I feel the same way. Usually what happens in relationships is that one person pushes the other towards greatness. Take that as you will. There are women out there just like you, but you probably won't meet them, and you probably would not get along with them if you did. They wouldn't like you for other reasons; that would, ironically, contradict such simple truths.

Last edited by goofy328; 12-10-2016 at 10:42 AM..

Old 12-10-2016, 10:45 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,039 times
You can do all of that. I know a guy who lives out of a modified van, drives all over the country while supporting himself doing odd jobs. I find that more interesting than any suburban 9-5 office job existence.

Old 12-10-2016, 11:59 AM

343 posts, read 316,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Maybe unlike most of the US you are above the lifestyle of materialism and keeping up with the Joneses. Maybe unlike most of the US you are self-aware that you would not make a great parent and would spare potential children heartbreak. I think it is wise that you've taken a look at the rat race and pressures to have a family and realized you ain't about that life, too bad most of America is too stupid to objectively look at all this.
Well said, the same can be said for me!!! I find it hilarious that most "it" people that think they are above being human are stuck caring what others think about them and they actually believe that the whole world cares about their lifestyle (and want it), when in reality nobody gives a fugg about them. I mean there is nothing wrong with having a flashy lifestyle, but when you go around flaunting it and put yourself on a pedestal, that is when it perceived as negative (it's all how you carry yourself, class never dies). Sometimes they even go so far as to make others feel two inches small just because some people do not have what they do, this is an awful thing to do, of course maybe they cling to their glamorous material world because they don't have what it takes to exist in the REAL world, they wouldn't be able to cope with being humanized (mediocre).

I do feel that we all want to be taken care of in some way, meaning just to know that everything is ok and we have things under control. But anyway, I'm not a social climber, I don't want to be trapped in some rat race, that is no way to live, it's insanity..but to each their own I guess. OP all that matters in life is your happiness, just do things for you, and don't let anyone tell you any different.

Old 12-10-2016, 12:09 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Lots of people live like that, OP. And they're pretty happy. I guess you thought it was something unusual? Times are changing, since decades of rampant real estate speculation and house "flipping" have made even modest SFH's unaffordable in some areas, so people are renting, or buying a condo. Why would you need a whole house for just 2 people? Go for your dream!

Old 12-10-2016, 12:13 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,045,192 times
Whatever floats your boat...it's YOUR life. Just make sure your GF/future spouse is on the same page as you.

Old 12-10-2016, 12:15 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
If I'm not paying for you, I say do whatever you want!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology