Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 01:49 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,288,922 times

Advertisements

"Couldn't be better! I pray for it every day - ain't gonna happen."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 02:06 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,633,494 times
"I'm all right" or "Fine"

The question has really lost all meaning because strangers ask it to each other. There are a few good people who will genuinely tell you how they are, which is surprising, and I truly admire them for doing that.

I get tired of cliches, so instead, I ask, "How's it going?"

Old 12-14-2016, 03:11 PM

9,352 posts, read 19,974,742 times
In most situations, I reply, enthusiastically, "Just PEACHY!!"

Many are taken aback for about half a second and then most will get a smile or chuckle out of it.....

I am not a whiner or complainer, except to my Doctor, and see no reason to expound on any issues I may be experiencing at the moment, whether physical or mental......

Old 12-14-2016, 04:35 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,007,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shleptik View Post
I'm talking about people I am acquainted with. Not family. So-called friends. But on the other hand, it's sad that we have to lie to strangers as well. It's a natural reaction, I suppose, to say, "hi, how are you?" to people we may have seen before. And of course few will say how they really are.
I would say, "Fine and you?" As I have posted before, I believe this is simply a standard greeting in our society. It is, as you have figured out, pretty meaningless. If you do not really care about the life of the person greeting you, I think you can guess that that person cares for you on that same level. So, why burden him with your problems? This is especially true when you are only passing one another in a crowded place or on the street.

If it is a good friend or a close family member, then I do think you can be more specific about how you feel.

If, God forbid, you have suffered a major loss, than I do think it might be wise to disclose this loss in a greeting. But otherwise, no.

Old 12-14-2016, 05:32 PM

11,969 posts, read 8,293,189 times
It depends on who's asking. Close friends I tell them.

Passersby and casual acquaintances I stick to "Not too well today, neutral response or great" depending on what's most accurate.

The question is used by the majority of people as a means of recognizing you as an individual and your response is recognition in return. It seems for them the response is incidental.

No matter how well things are going for my DH he always responds, "Not too bad." I think it's an old habit from our immigrant ancestors who were reluctant to ever brag for fear their luck would change or that they would call envious attention to themselves.

Old 12-14-2016, 05:41 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,565,853 times
You are not obligated to say anything to anyone if it's some random stranger for example a cashier. Some would think its rude not to give a response but if you are not feeling well it's fine. People need to understand not everyone is having a good day and they should not take it personal because you don't respond.

Old 12-14-2016, 06:59 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,565,853 times
Or you can respond with a line from the movie scarface "everyday above ground is a good day"

Old 12-14-2016, 07:10 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,797,891 times
I used to say "okay I guess" but that was when it resembled the truth because I guess is my way of saying considering but if I'm really down I have turned to what my favorite youtuber says "I'm going through it" This is the perfect response because it's both honest but vague enough to cover everything. Since they're just asking to be polite they won't care what "it" is. Obviously if they do care they're going to ask for an explanation but you can always say "I'd rather not talk about it" if you'd like.
I've tried not answering or just saying hi back but that doesn't always work. Some still ask though I'm not sure why because they obviously didn't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I learned long ago NOT to ask people 'HOW ARE YOU'? Because eventually, someone is going to tell you the truth...
I simply say Hello or HI.. nice to see ya, have a good day, etc. no questions.. just statements.
I never ask how are you unless I 100 percent mean it in that moment so I hope if I ask someone that question they are honest because I would genuinely want to know.

Old 12-15-2016, 05:40 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,746,205 times
It is a simple greeting, nothing more, nothing less. I simply say "I'm fine, thank you, and how are you today ?"

People put too much thought into things that should be taken for what they really are. Saying that is simply a pleasantry.

Old 12-15-2016, 07:40 AM

726 posts, read 1,225,264 times
Better and better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology