Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 12:42 PM

29,464 posts, read 14,635,166 times

Advertisements

Look up "Dan Bilzerian" , minus the beard. That would be my ideal life.

In reality, I don't need that extravagant of a lifestyle and being an introvert being around all those people (hot or not) would eventually drive me crazy.

I'd like my life to be simple but not have to worry about much. It would be nice to wake up in the morning, ask the wife if she would either like to fly to Grand Cayman to have lunch at Tucco's, spend the day floating around on the pontoon boat on a rural lake in Northern Michigan , or spend it on an offshore powerboat zipping around at 100mph.
Traveling, saving old things (cars, trucks, boats, etc) and selling them to people for restoration, hiking, snowshoeing , snowmobiling, riding ATV's, spending summers at our cottage in Northern Michigan, and winters in the Caribbean, drinking bourbon and smoking cigars all with my wonderful wife and two Cavaliers. Yeah , that would be good. Our live is close, except we both have to work and we have to budget. Eliminating those two things would make it great.

Last edited by scarabchuck; 12-21-2016 at 12:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2016, 12:51 PM

11,049 posts, read 6,637,979 times
Get up early, swim in the ocean, ride horses on the beach, do sprints on the sand, play volleyball and Ping-Pong, ride in a land-sailer on the beach, ride bikes to the nearest town, go to the Farmers' Market.

We are retired on the beach which is a dream come true, but haven't achieved these other hopes.
Hence, sitting here typing on C-D!

Like so many others, I'd love to get some side income through writing, but that field is rather flooded these days!

Great topic, so interesting to hear what others dream of....

Old 12-21-2016, 12:56 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,735,535 times
My life is pretty good. Of course it could be better and it could be much worse. I am big believer in the happy medium.
My aspirations are for my Son. He is 4 years old and has a terrible behavior problem.Not unlike mine, he seems a little worse than I was actually. The Dr assures us he will grow out of it. He is so smart like I was and like me to smart for his own good. My ideal life would be for him to have a better life than I did and not make the same mistakes as me.

Old 12-21-2016, 12:56 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,001,244 times
My ideal life: Home in beautiful, outdoorsy place, like the beach maybe, preferably in California
Real life: Home in a monotonous suburb

ideal life: one child and a great husband
real life: one child and a great husband

ideal life: lots of money to take vacations and travel, to have a super awesome home, send our child to private school, and to help the less fortunate
real life: just enough money to comfortably pay the bills and keep the house standing; child in public school

ideal life: career accomplishments in my chosen field
real life: no career accomplishments and never worked in chosen field

ideal life: healthy and fit even in my advanced age
real life: healthy and fit even in my advanced age, at least so far

I'm not too far off. I just wish we had more money and lived in a nicer place.

Old 12-22-2016, 02:52 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,375,514 times
My ideal life is to be married to a wonderful woman and have a big family.I also would want to be an elder someday and hopefully make it to my 100's.I would like to be independently wealthy.I would want lots of real estate like a beach house,mountain home,lake house,winter home.I would also like to own lots of land for hunting,camping, and shooting.I would like my land to have exotics,elk, and hogs so I could hunt and camp year round when its not deer season.I would like to have off-grid or semi off-grid options on my land.I would like some household staff.I would like a large collection of guns and camping/outdoors equipment.I would like to have enough money to charter private flights at least.I would like my primary house to be big and be prepared for emergencies like power outages and stuff like that.I would like to move around a lot and settle in Texas afterwards.I would also be a philanthropist and give a lot of money away.

My actual life is that I am single and unmarried/no kids with no land.

Last edited by C24L; 12-22-2016 at 03:38 PM..

Old 12-26-2016, 08:17 AM

5 posts, read 8,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeSeeker21 View Post
Be financially able to support myself. Have a girlfriend. Have sexual intercourse with her (obviously). Have friends. Make a minimum of 6 figures ($100,000+) passive income (so work would not be my life). Have control over my life. Make money doing what I enjoy doing (which may not be passive, but if you love what you do for work then it is not work). Have reliable transportation to RIDE 24/7. To take it step further (although I could be happy without this as long as I could still afford planes and taxis) a private jet with a private pilot, f waiting lines lol. With the transportation options I have listed, I could live way out in the middle of nowhere (surely with 6+ figures a year I could afford to have good (fiber) Internet brought out to me, and mobile phone coverage) AND go to the big cities FAST ANYTIME. Google the Hyperloop btw, it's a project of Elon Musk. Your car will never go anywhere near 600 MPH! The Hyperloop is predicted to possibly go from Los Angeles to New York City in less than 45 minutes one day. Even faster than AIRPLANES AND JETS!

The hillbillies are afraid of innovation and think it is evil.
Hey Lifeseeker21, I'm going through the same problems as you. I am in a suburban/urban area though, so I don't have the same obstacles with transportation that you do.

If you want to read a book about someone who experienced the hillbilly life and moved on from it, I recommend Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance. It's a very current book, and I'm sure you will relate to it or find it interesting.

Anyway, on to my comment - with the things you want to do, have you tried breaking down the problem into smaller steps and looking at the smallest ones that you can do to meet those goals? If you break things down, I am sure your goals would be more attainable.

Wait, actually, don't take my advice to heart. It might not work for you specifically. I am sure you have gone through this multiple times. I just want you to know that I am suffering the same problems you are, and I am willing to keep in contact with you, just to have an accountability partner.

Old 12-27-2016, 10:37 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,529,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post

1) What is your idea of the life you would most love to live? Be as detailed as you can be.

2) What basic conditions of your current life don't match the conditions of your ideal life, and why do you feel that you cannot make those conditions ideal right now?

For myself & my wife we would travel & hike all the thru hikes in the U.S. The JMT, CDT, AT, etc.
We would also hike as many trails as we can in the U.S as well before moving to hiking whatever we can across Europe.

I'm pushing 50 in two years & my wife is 43 while we're not old mind you there isn't enough time to hike them all. We're still able to hike some of them & we have time for that but what trails we choose to hike are limited. We plan to move out West when my wife's youngest has finished H.S. It will put us closer to most of the hikes we want to do.

Time/Age is our biggest downfall I know there are people who hike into their 80's & I hope we're one of them. We're in a great place to hike several trails around here to prepare to hike out West & get back into shape. IF my wife & I would of met 10-15 years ago I would say that we would still have a shot at our dreams. These days we have to be more careful then we would 10-15 years ago so you have to take more time to hike these trails & there is only limited time to do most of them.

Old 12-27-2016, 10:59 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,176,355 times
I have more money than I need and live in a nice house on a lake in a beautiful setting, something I'd always dreamed of as a youngster.

My only lack is a compatible companion with whom to share it.

Old 12-27-2016, 11:35 AM

4,043 posts, read 3,772,224 times
My ideal life is to be financially independent and to have done it all on my own.

I can't do that because it is not realistic to do it all on my own or it would take a very long time.

Realistically I really would like to be financially independent and be able to travel the world writing and trading. My current day job involves writing but I'm new so need to build up some experience. I'm also trying to learn how to trade but there's so much information out there I'm just trying to sift through it all to find out where to begin.

I think my depression and anxiety is holding me back. Ninety percent of the time I wake up having no motivation to do anything or talk to anyone. I'm usually grumpy. I have to fight it off a lot and try not to let it show with my interactions with people. I'm going to see a psychiatrist/doctor after the New Year and see if my thyroid is off. I usually have low energy. Coffee helps. But I'm going to see if I might need some meds.

Old 12-27-2016, 02:16 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,147,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
I have believed for a long time that a lot of what we call "mental illness" or other undesirable mental conditions are created by poor societal conditions, and/or perceived inability to live the kind of life we want to live.

!
I disagree with this. Mental illness is usually a medical condition caused by physical problems in brain function. Other mental illness is caused by trauma. Poor societal conditions might exacerbate mental illness. Some more minor mental problems can be caused by mental habits.

Most of us are not living the lives we'd really like to live. Most of us are not mentally ill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology