Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 01:00 PM

6,602 posts, read 4,811,898 times

Advertisements

This is my follow-up to a very successful Fashion thread, although the preoccupation many years back to when I first heard a Bonnie Raitt song.
Spoiler
I see my folks, they're getting old
And I watch their bodies change
I know they see the same in me
And it makes us both feel strange
(from "Nick of Time")

I've never seen a discussion much like it and I figured now is the time, due to people seeing more relatives around the holidays. I've specified blood relatives because others add complexity, and if you're married to a blood relative, we don't want to know. So, it can be adult children, parents, siblings (including half-siblings), cousins.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2016, 02:01 PM

13,499 posts, read 18,085,536 times
It's what people do. Been seeing it all my life in other people, in myself.

That's the way it is.

Old 12-27-2016, 02:09 PM

18,438 posts, read 18,551,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
This is my follow-up to a very successful Fashion thread, although the preoccupation many years back to when I first heard a Bonnie Raitt song.
Spoiler
I see my folks, they're getting old
And I watch their bodies change
I know they see the same in me
And it makes us both feel strange
(from "Nick of Time")

I've never seen a discussion much like it and I figured now is the time, due to people seeing more relatives around the holidays. I've specified blood relatives because others add complexity, and if you're married to a blood relative, we don't want to know. So, it can be adult children, parents, siblings (including half-siblings), cousins.....
I see myself getting old and thats scary enough for one person to take..... the rest can manage on their own

Old 12-27-2016, 02:59 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,627,737 times
It's a jolt of reality that no one lives forever.

Old 12-27-2016, 03:01 PM

44,885 posts, read 59,869,542 times
We'll all older than we once were and younger than we'll be.

Old 12-27-2016, 05:10 PM

50,107 posts, read 35,754,801 times
I find it depressing only because it's a reminder that we're next up in the que, so t speak. On the other hand it's a good realization, as I turn down way less invitations to do things with my brother and other family than I used to, because I am more aware that our borrowed time is going fast (it doesn't seem that long ago we were at the kid's table) and my brother is now 60, and who knows how long we have to do things where we can all walk and are healthy (although he quit 15 years ago, my brother smoked for decades)? I overlook more things, as does my brother, who used to be really grumpy but is actually getting nicer, probably for the same reasons, and appreciate them all much more.

Old 12-27-2016, 05:20 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,740,127 times
How do I cope? I usually point and laugh at their wrinkles and thinning hair! And ask what stagecoaches were like!

Seriously, though, none of us will live forever. Aging and dying are part of life. People are born, people die. Some sooner than later. Enjoy the time you have with them. The belief that those who are gone from us are in a better place helps, too.

Old 12-27-2016, 05:38 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,720,139 times
Everyone around me is getting older. Except for me.

I youthen.

Old 12-27-2016, 06:09 PM

19,212 posts, read 15,079,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I see myself getting old and thats scary enough for one person to take..... the rest can manage on their own
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
How do I cope? I usually point and laugh at their wrinkles and thinning hair! And ask what stagecoaches were like!

Seriously, though, none of us will live forever. Aging and dying are part of life. People are born, people die. Some sooner than later. Enjoy the time you have with them. The belief that those who are gone from us are in a better place helps, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Everyone around me is getting older. Except for me.

I youthen.
Lol! Didn't except this thread to be so funny...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I find it depressing only because it's a reminder that we're next up in the que, so t speak.
I remember my mom saying the same thing, like you're on deck. Whenever I think about it, her phrasing of it always comes to mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
On the other hand it's a good realization, as I turn down way less invitations to do things with my brother and other family than I used to, because I am more aware that our borrowed time is going fast (it doesn't seem that long ago we were at the kid's table) and my brother is now 60, and who knows how long we have to do things where we can all walk and are healthy (although he quit 15 years ago, my brother smoked for decades)? I overlook more things, as does my brother, who used to be really grumpy but is actually getting nicer, probably for the same reasons, and appreciate them all much more.
Same here. My brother is (was) VERY opinionated and not very open-minded. I've noticed lately that he seems to have softened a lot. I'm more similar in temperament to him than my other brothers, and I think (hope) I have softened, too.

Good thread, and some good posts here. Nothing to be done about it. We're all in this together.

Old 12-27-2016, 06:22 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,736,042 times
Gives me an idea of how I'll age. My mom is nearing 60 and still looks great. Gives me hope!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology