Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 08:54 PM

2,317 posts, read 2,551,261 times

Advertisements

"Originally Posted by glegg
like most people, he's a waste of space and oxygen."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Would you be included in "most people"? Just trying to understand your concept, here.
Ruth, where did the OP say this? I have read and re-read his original post and don't see any comment about being a "waste of space", etc. Just curious...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 01:42 AM

3,237 posts, read 2,317,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I do agree with Ruth4Truth that it is an illness.

I am curious---> do you give other people a chance to talk? When they do, do you response accordingly? Do you listen to them? When you say you involve yourself into the "SNL" conversation, are you actually listening to their stories, or do you just take "off to the races" and take over to do a one woman conversation?

We have a woman at work that talks non stop. She is a one woman show. She doesn't have "conversations". If someone happens to get a word in, she goes right back to talking. I can keep slowing stepping away and she will continue to talk. She is nice and bubbly, but I do try to avoid her at times. She makes me sad at times because I take interest in what she is saying, but I feel my words don't really matter.
Yes. Isn't this how the non-stop talkers always are? They don't care what you have to say, they are completely self centered, they live to hear themselves talk about themselves! I know someone like this. He seems to believe if he asks "how are you" at the beginning of the conversation he doesn't have to listen to anything you have to say for the rest of the evening. He never shuts up. He could talk for hours and hours with no breaks. He doesn't care what's going on around him, he continues to talk. I try to avoid him at all costs.

Old 12-30-2016, 04:25 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,919,710 times
Non-stop talkers....ugh. I was married to one, and it was emotionally draining. Have another long distance friend who is a nice person but I find myself avoiding her calls because once she gets on a roll, she can talk non-stop and it's difficult to end the "conversation".

Old 12-30-2016, 06:00 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,257,395 times
My sister talks a lot on the phone. I consider it venting and, because i love her, i tolerate this. It used to frustrate me because she would ask me a question, answer it for me, then tell me how great i am for thinking that way. My cohabitant does that, too, except he will get mad andargue over his own words that he put into my mouth. He wants to be very controlling and find fault with everything so he can complain about those who are lessor beings. which frustrates him since i do things his way at every turn. And to make the effort and still be criticized is maddening. sorry. off track.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:57 AM

7,986 posts, read 5,359,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post

Ruth, where did the OP say this? I have read and re-read his original post and don't see any comment about being a "waste of space", etc. Just curious...

hmmm...I remember reading that post. Must have deleted the post within the hour of posting.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:11 AM

11,035 posts, read 6,586,897 times
This really bothers me too....has my whole life. I find it amazing that in a group, that one talker can dominate the whole conversation and everyone puts up with it. If I can, I'll leave, but often that isn't possible. I just starting chatting with someone here at my complex who I initially really liked, then after a few days the fact that she never stops talking, constantly interrupting was more than I cared to encourage. I still like her, but.... I'm glad my spouse and I are both quiet, not big talkers.

And you know how people so often stop their story saying "Oh, what WAS that person's name? I KNOW that name, why can't I think of it...." but YOU don't know or care about that name! Moving on!

Old 12-30-2016, 12:48 PM

50,175 posts, read 63,623,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
A variant on this is someone who cannot listen. I have a couple of friends who are just horrible listeners - if I say something I get maybe 5 or 6 words out of my mouth and they interrupt and pretty much ignore what I am saying, or try to finish my sentence for me, but get it wrong. It is hard because I like these people otherwise but sometimes they act as if they really don't get a darn what I have to say (or anyone else) and their opinion is the only one that matters. BTW - it is not just me they do this to.
I have a friend like this. She will ask a question, but then interrupt my answer with another question. She is a good friend, but I am glad we moved so I don't have to spend a lot of time with her. It's too exhausting.

This same person has a husband who will call on the phone and want to just blah, blah blah. My husband has no patience for talking on the phone at all, so after the first 5 minutes he gives an excuse and cuts the guy off.

Speaking of phone lovers. At the risk of sounding racist, which I'm not, why do black people talk on the phone all the time? In the grocery store, walking down the street, in restaurants, getting their nails done? Where I used to work, the mail carrier talked on the phone the whole day long. It was pretty annoying because we didn't know if he was talking to us or not. What in the world do they talk about?

Last edited by gentlearts; 12-30-2016 at 01:24 PM..

Old 12-30-2016, 01:37 PM

102,126 posts, read 107,381,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post

Oh, that's very interesting! His post was deleted, perhaps due to inappropriate content or personal attack, or something.

Old 12-30-2016, 02:32 PM

153 posts, read 137,289 times
My mother (now deceased) used to be this way. My sister and I would often sit and analyze her tendency to talk - non-stop.
I thought it stemmed from anxiety. There were other times I wondered if it reflected a need to control her listener. Other times I asked myself if her insecurity played a role. My sister and I also questioned if this incessant need to talk, talk, talk might indicate the "manic" phase in, perhaps, bipolar disorder. (Incidentally, my mother was never diagnosed as having bipolar disorder.) Or did her constant talking have a physical explanation, perhaps, a symptom of her hyperthyroidism? In any case, my mother's need to discharge streams of monologues, unabated, consumed more of my attention the older I became and the more irritated I got. It amazed me that my mother possessed so little self awareness; did she not ever stop to consider how her talking affected others?

I came to the conclusion that my mother's garrulity had its basis in many factors. Regardless, the habit of talking AT a person (that's what it boils down to, really) most certainly shows a certain lack of consideration for other people.

By the way, I am not referring to you, OCNJgirl. I have known people who have some of the personality traits you described about yourself and they seem harmless and good natured.

Old 12-30-2016, 02:37 PM

50,489 posts, read 36,126,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StayingAfterSunday View Post
My mother (now deceased) used to be this way. My sister and I would often sit and analyze her tendency to talk - non-stop.
I thought it stemmed from anxiety. There were other times I wondered if it reflected a need to control her listener. Other times I asked myself if her insecurity played a role. My sister and I also questioned if this incessant need to talk, talk, talk might indicate the "manic" phase in, perhaps, bipolar disorder. (Incidentally, my mother was never diagnosed as having bipolar disorder.) Or did her constant talking have a physical explanation, perhaps, a symptom of her hyperthyroidism? In any case, my mother's need to discharge streams of monologues, unabated, began to consume more of my attention the older I became and the more irritated I got. It amazed me that my mother possessed so little self awareness; did she not ever stop to consider how her talking affected others?

I came to the conclusion that my mother's garrulity had its basis in many factors. Regardless, the habit of talking AT a person (that's what it boils down to, really) most certainly shows a certain lack of consideration for other people.

By the way, I am not referring to you, OCNJgirl. I have known people who have some of the personality traits you described about yourself and they seem harmless and good natured.

Thanks for that. Yes, that's me, an over-excitable, clumsy and accidentally intrusive St. Bernard puppy, basically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology