Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2016, 01:42 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,329,503 times

Advertisements

I was feeling incredibly creative the last week,was writing novels,sketching,thinking of hundreds of creative projects,reading interesting things,just very happy and ripe creatively.

Anyway since yesterday I've come under a lot of stress and am dealing with various things and it's like my creativity gets switched completely off.I no longer have those creative thoughts or ideas,I'm too busy thinking about stressful things.Dont feel secure or relaxed enough to get into that space again.

Does anyone know how to maintain your creativity under stress?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 02:54 PM

41 posts, read 32,219 times
I write poetry and a lot of my best stuff is written during times of extreme stress.

Old 01-01-2017, 01:20 AM

1,544 posts, read 921,329 times
I get away from the person or place that causes me stress, and just crochet my butt off. I find myself feeling better after picking up a hook and yarn.

Old 01-01-2017, 01:27 AM

52 posts, read 39,256 times
Depends if it's positive stress or negative stress. Positive stress can be a great enabler of creativity. Negative stress may or may not block creativity.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:43 AM

88,293 posts, read 84,292,537 times
Sometimes the stress feeds the creativity. You can try to channel it.

But I'm thinking you're not feeling it. Try anyway. I also write, and sometimes when I just don't feel like it, I sit down and after a while something comes out.

I had bought a book a couple of years ago called Writer With a Day Job, and the best thing I got out of that was to determine when your best time of day is and then set aside time to write at that time every day. Mine is in the morning, and I found that getting up and setting a time (sometimes when I was working it was only 15 minutes) to do the writing whether I felt like it or not was very productive.

Old 01-05-2017, 12:50 PM

30,707 posts, read 79,581,771 times
I am more creative under stress. Pretty much non-creative when things are chill.

Old 01-06-2017, 12:22 PM

7,991 posts, read 12,242,800 times
Based on what you, OP, are saying, and after reading the responses thus far, I would say that the problem lies in your not "walking away" from your desire for creativity for a bit. Creativity is largely intuitive, insightful, and if you are stressed, that is sure to impede it. In short, it cannot be forced.

My thoughts are to give yourself a break: The more you worry about the lack of creativity, the more you are probably feeding into it's absence. Sleep well, eat well, and most of all, give yourself permission to NOT feel creative for the time being....It WILL return. If you are truly a creative person, it is an integral part of your personality.

I am, most of all, a writer. I have always written, and love it. However, I have had periods of time when I just couldn't write, because I was too uptight about my lack of thoughts, insights, and seemingly ability to do so. I found that if I just took a break for a day or two, that in time the creativity would return. Once I had the first paragraph written in my head, the rest followed.

Truly, do not worry about it, as that will only impede your "creative juices." Creativity is such a gift, and something that has always fascinated me, as so few possess true creative ability.

Take gentle (creative) care.

Old 01-08-2017, 05:34 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,336,730 times
Take a hot steam or a Jacuzzi soak in the evening with a half glass of wine, take 2 melatonin and then get a good nights sleep.
The next morning, get a mental boost from coffee or an energy drink and then let your brain run amok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology