Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 07:51 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,343,041 times

Advertisements

Honestly this has been a problem all my life,I start five paintings and never complete any of them,I start courses and never complete them,I read books and never finish them,I start going in one direction in terms of a vocation and change my mind and do something else,I think I simply lack discipline,can anyone offer any advice?

I was doing a painting today spent one hour on it and gave up,will I eventually find something I am dedicated too or am I simply undisciplined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2017, 08:01 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,631,327 times
I'm like that. What helps me is to just not take on any really long-term projects. Like a painting that can't be done in one or two days, or over a weekend.

I do crafts now that I can normally complete in just 2 days.

I've found that living in my really tiny studio actually helps keep me from starting a bunch of projects at the same time, because I just don't have the room. It forces me to finish one thing before I move on to something else.

Anyway, maybe instead of fighting the way you are, you could just work with it. Find a craft or something you can complete during the time of attention span you are comfortable with.

As far as classes - I guess it depends on if it's a class that you absolutely have to finish in order to meet a goal, like a degree. Otherwise, if it's a class you start and then realize you don't like it, and you aren't required to finish it for some reason, then you have the right as an adult to just quit it if you feel like it.

Kind of like dating lol. You don't have to marry the first one that comes along. You're simply shopping for a class that excites you. Maybe you just try lots of new things so you can find something that you'll want to stick with. You don't have to stick with everything you try.

So, maybe you don't need to be so hard on yourself. And work with your personality, when you can - like finding things you can complete in less time.

Old 01-07-2017, 09:13 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,343,041 times
Thank you that's very helpful I wonder if our instant this,instant that society is to contribute if we just don't have patience,but everyone seems to be getting things done.
Also life gets in the way I find crises,problems etc.

Last edited by Katiethegreat; 01-07-2017 at 09:27 PM..

Old 01-07-2017, 10:38 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,762,861 times
Go back to one unfinished thing and commit to working on it for just 15 mins or whatever you can commit to that doesn't give resistance to starting. When I do this, I always keep on working for longer. Repeat and it gets done.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:53 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,745,452 times
Take on small projects. I have a pretty lengthy attention span, but certain activities are more fulfilling to me if I have something to show for them quickly.

I like to crochet, but get bored partway through when working on blankets and shawls. Quickie projects like scarves or caps are more satisfying.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:59 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,631,327 times
Good point. I think the kind of day job you have can affect the kinds of projects you need for self-satisfaction, too. Most of my working life, I was in an office where my "In" box never ended up empty. It seemed like most of my time was spent putting out fires and it often felt like I never got anywhere.

So, if I could take on a project I could complete within a week, while working on it in the evenings, or over a weekend, it was just so satisfying - to actually start something and see it completed.

I used to do home improvement projects on long weekends. Some of my friends and family would think I was nuts - why didn't I just lay around on the couch and relax? Because it was so wonderful to see the results of my labor! I'd do things like paint my kitchen cupboards, or put up shelves or paint a room or paint some furniture, or make curtains or pillows. By the end of the weekend, my condo - or a room in my condo - would be transformed. Then, when I'd come home after work, I would walk in and smile at seeing the results of my labor.

I know artists who do oil paintings that take them forever to complete. They find it relaxing and don't mind how long it takes. I have never been that kind of person. And that's okay :-)

And maybe the oil painting types are the people with really easy, boring jobs, so they need something more long-term and challenging. Like maybe an assembly line type job, etc., where they show up, do something that's always the same and predictable, and are able to clock out without worrying about any deadlines or unfinished projects, etc.

But, honestly, I have all the time in the world now, and I still don't like to take on long-term projects. I feel like they're hanging over my head.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:01 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,745,452 times
I will only do jigsaw puzzles that are miniature. Spending days with an uncompleted puzzle isn't gratifying to me.

Old 01-09-2017, 05:09 AM

1,218 posts, read 1,076,970 times
Make a to do list. Keep it with you.
Look at it every day when you wake up to see your goals for the day.
Look at it every night for your reflection on the progress.
Revise it to adjust as priorities change.
Break up tasks that are overwhelming into smaller steps to allow you to see the progress.

Repeat.

This is a list YOU make, so it forces you to be accountable to YOU.

Old 01-10-2017, 02:38 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,849,478 times

Old 01-10-2017, 06:03 AM

676 posts, read 530,261 times
Look up your Meyers-Briggs type. You sound like you are very 'perceiving'. If this is the case there is lots of information for you on those sites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology