Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 09:41 PM

226 posts, read 257,757 times

Advertisements

Yes, mountains and streams fill my soul. I didn't grow up with them either, which makes me appreciate them so much more.
I enjoy cities too, though, and I'm glad to be close to both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 10:46 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,829,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linerin View Post
You have mountains and snowfall in East Texas?

I have all that, but I'm in Idaho. Been to several areas in Texas and don't recall any mountains or snow.
I don't know who you're talking to, but I live in east Texas and we have just as much snow a year as I like - which is a couple of inches. But yes, we have snow in East Texas. We actually had a white Christmas a few years ago.

No mountains here, but lots of rolling hills, woods, streams, rivers, lakes, wildlife, flowers, you name it. And topped off with that big Texas sky. Love it here!

I can visit mountains anytime I want, but frankly I don't want to live in a mountainous region. Been there, done that. I prefer East Texas. But to each his own.

Old 01-09-2017, 05:36 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,244,202 times
I have those things but am very sad anyway since my wife passed in 2015 due to dementia. We enjoyed those things together.

The only "natural" beauty that has disappeared the past 40 years has been the pheasant. Guessing that foxes and hunters wiped them out.

Old 01-09-2017, 06:25 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,641,414 times
Default mountains

Quote:

I have all that, but I'm in Idaho. Been to several areas in Texas and don't recall any mountains or snow.
In TX we have some big hills ("hill country" near Austin) and then there's West Texas. Lots of topography.

We had snow last week in DFW.

Old 01-09-2017, 08:25 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,784,429 times
I lived in the Sierra Nevada mountains for about a year in my 20's with snow up to my cheeky monkeys and loved it. Our little village doesn't have mountains but we have a stream down by the park close to our house. There's a path into the woods and I love walking on it late at night. If there's snow on the ground the whole park is lit up and you can easily see the silhouettes of the deer that live there. I've seen coyotes, a fox, and heard an owl hoot. We are close to the loop of Chicago, yet it feels like another world here. Views are nice, but I need to be around people. I find the interactions far more satisfying then just the same view every day. If I want the solitude of nature then I just get in my car and find some. For extroverts on steroids solitude and be a prison, even with a million dollar view.

Old 01-09-2017, 10:45 AM

10,090 posts, read 6,415,801 times
I don't have mountains here, but I can walk to the end of the street and look at the river, or drive 20 minutes and enjoy my 200 ft. of lakefront property. Every time I leave the local drugstore I drive down my favorite road which has an old millstream with a rushing waterfall - it's especially beautiful in the wintertime. I stop on the one-land bridge and roll the window down so I can hear the water. If I want to enjoy more than my backyard wildlife I can drive 10 minutes to a huge bald eagle nesting ground and walk the pathways through what is basically primeval forest. All of these natural elements really refresh my soul.

Old 01-09-2017, 12:54 PM

497 posts, read 483,977 times
I live on the edge of the city I call "home". Very close to a large rural area, but not close enough in my opinion. I long to be in the woods far enough from civilization that I can't hear traffic or see the glow of artificial light. My favorite place is hiking in the woods with my dog where I can't hear anything but nature.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:19 PM

506 posts, read 650,687 times
Quote:

No. The first year we lived here we had a fairly heavy snowstorm. Not one snowflake since. And certainly no mountains. I grew up with lots of snow , though, and don't miss it a bit. I do like looking at snow on Facebook.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:27 PM

506 posts, read 650,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
In TX we have some big hills ("hill country" near Austin) and then there's West Texas. Lots of topography.

We had snow last week in DFW.
We've been to west Texas a few times and found it to be excruciatingly flat, hot and depressing with a nursing home on most corners. The people were extremely friendly and nice, though. But to equate west Texas with hills? Seems like quite a reach. Like saying Austin's "hill country" is anything like grass and tree covered hills or mountains. I recall, before hitting the horrendous 5pm traffic, seeing rocks jutting up next to the highway briefly. The only way I could like living in Austin would be if I were eighteen again. Heck; I didn't even appreciate dogs and cats that long ago let alone deer.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:46 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,817,962 times
What mountains do they have in Texas?

But I have the best of both worlds. Live in Los Angeles and have everything the city has to offer but have a view of mountains outside my window and close enough that we have coyotes and bobcats regularly in the neighborhood as well as the occasional mountain lion and bear
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology