Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 12:53 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
I don't really intend to sing but life in the west seems awfully formal,you go to university everything is dry,formal academic writing,most people jobs are about doing things in a efficient formal,detached way,people talk to each other in a very disconnected superficial way there's not a lot of emotion and soulfulness.
Maybe the us is different.
Where do you live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 01:05 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,336,033 times
Australia.

Old 01-13-2017, 01:21 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Well, I don't think we can generalize to all the US, and say "the US is different". Some areas, some cities, some regions may be more open to spontaneity, and may have a little more joie de vivre than others...

But as far as depth of connections goes, OMO the West can't really hold a candle to Russia and some other parts of E Europe in that regard. Except they say that Germans can be hard to break the ice with, but after they get to know you for some time, if they allow you in to their life, they're friends for life, and it's on a deep, committed level.

Old 01-13-2017, 02:35 AM

1,248 posts, read 823,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, I don't think we can generalize to all the US, and say "the US is different". Some areas, some cities, some regions may be more open to spontaneity, and may have a little more joie de vivre than others...

But as far as depth of connections goes, OMO the West can't really hold a candle to Russia and some other parts of E Europe in that regard. Except they say that Germans can be hard to break the ice with, but after they get to know you for some time, if they allow you in to their life, they're friends for life, and it's on a deep, committed level.
That is because the people in the USA have been taught for generations that hyper-individualism, everyone-is-on-his-own way of life is what leads to success. Respect my precious boundaries... that kind of thing. In Russia, on the other way, people have been learning that it is difficult to get through hard times when you have no friend to lend you a helping hand.

As for the OP - her problem is in her own head, not in civilization.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:57 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,473,825 times
Quote:
I mean standing at the bus stop I cannot sing out loud ,but say I was born in my great grandmothers African tribal village it would possibly be OK to sing anywhere.

Being civilised while sometimes I adore it,requires alot of stifling formality and a lot of rigidness.Does anyone else understand this?

If you're waiting in line at a bus stop, you're living in an area that's heavily populated. A city isn't meant to be like a small tribal village.

America has many small towns and villages. Move there... and sing to your hearts content.

The problem isn't civilization. It's you.

Old 01-14-2017, 02:11 PM

776 posts, read 580,582 times
Quote:
I mean standing at the bus stop I cannot sing out loud ,but say I was born in my great grandmothers African tribal village it would possibly be OK to sing anywhere.
civilized - bring (a place or people) to a stage of social, cultural, and moral development considered to be more advanced.
If anything, it sounds like you want the place to technically be more culturally civilized. Therefore you want more civilization in your caveman city.
Quote:
Being civilised while sometimes I adore it, requires a lot of stifling formality and a lot of rigidness. Does anyone else understand this?
civilized - bring (a place or people) to a stage of social, cultural, and moral development considered to be more advanced.
I think this more over due to social and moral developments. In the US, there is many people getting angry that they have to walk on eggshells all the time. Be careful not to offend anyone with your culture. One example is having to replace Christmas with Holiday. We have to adhere to the social and moral developments so much that it continually deflates our cultural development.
Quote:
I don't really intend to sing but life in the west seems awfully formal, you go to university everything is dry, formal academic writing, most people jobs are about doing things in a efficient formal, detached way, people talk to each other in a very disconnected superficial way there's not a lot of emotion and soulfulness. Maybe the us is different.
No, no it is the same. It is hard to find a city in the US with a soul, whose inhabitants aren't always political thinking or have monetary tunnel vison. Against what many might say, I think the southeast is about the best, going off of Federal homeless stats and what I've seen. But god (whoops). Goodness knows that's changing too.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:12 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,987,995 times
Quote:

Being civilised while sometimes I adore it,requires alot of stifling formality and a lot of rigidness.Does anyone else understand this?
You have clearly never been in a NY subway (or bus stop) where on any given morning people are rehearsing lines, singing opera/rock/jazz, running scales, practicing ballet poses, etc. I think it is wonderful.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:53 AM

343 posts, read 316,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvepaw View Post
You have clearly never been in a NY subway (or bus stop) where on any given morning people are rehearsing lines, singing opera/rock/jazz, running scales, practicing ballet poses, etc. I think it is wonderful.
and m sure its better than most music today

Old 01-20-2017, 12:24 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,348 times
I don't think I could live in a tribal village (partially because I wouldn't have any technology) but I do find civilization stifling.

I don't sing in public..in fact I actually literally can't if I know someone is watching/going to be watching. It's like my mouth won't push it out so it turns into a mumble instead. I have even tried it sometimes when I have walked because I always wanted to listen to music while I walk but as soon as I see someone coming my way my mouth freezes up as if I murdered someone. I find it annoying because people are often into your business. One time I wasn't thinking someone is watching because I was just sitting in the car waiting for my mom to come back and these girls were laughing seeing me jam out. I don't think they were even making fun of me it's just the fact they were paying attention to me that annoys me. I like to go to concerts because there's nothing like seeing the artist live but I always feel very restricted because I know if I truly let loose I will be the center of attention. A few times I tried to dance but because of that fear of eyes the moves were calculated/robotic.

I'm the same way with crying. I hate when I cry in public because I know people will notice.

I also used to like my apartment complex more but then more people moved in and now it feels very crowded. I'm not saying that people don't have a right to move here but I miss when it was like my secret garden.

The most annoying thing I find about society is when I actually need someone to pay attention to me that's the only time I'm invisible. In both cases, I am trying so hard. It almost seems like the more I try to not be noticed I am noticed whereas the more I try to get attention to the important people the more I get ignored.
Of course you would think that since I'm a naturally quiet person IRL I don't get much attention but since my brain doesn't work like others, even just speaking one word gets me an unwanted audience. Sometimes I wonder if I even have to say anything at all because the minute they know my chronological age they just HAVE to make a comment "but you look so young"

Old 02-01-2017, 08:26 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Yes I do understand. The trick is learning not to worry about what others think about you. There is no civilization rule that says you cannot sing at the bus stop or anywhere else. Go for it.
Yes, there is. It's a city ordinance called "disturbing the peace."

Every citizen has the RIGHT not to be unreasonably disturbed by someone forcing his noise on him.

It is against the law to stand somewhere and shout at people or whatever, when the people cannot leave, such as at a bus stop.

If someone wants attention that much, join a church choir, so that an entire audience can marvel at your immense talent. But I suspect there isn't much talent there, or she'd be getting paid for doing it somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology