Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 06:46 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,340,186 times

Advertisements

This study suggests that people that swear often and use profanity in their speech are less likely to be dirty, deceitful liars. We may not like being exposed to their colorful profane and vulgar language, but the chances are good that they are basically truthful and aboveboard people. What's been your experience with folks that are a bit foul-mouthed? Same as this study or different?

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0117105107.htm

Interesting that in 1939 public use of the word "damn" could land you a hefty fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 07:11 PM

343 posts, read 316,535 times
im not buying it. a person could lie and intentionally add some well chosen curse words to the lie, and im supposed to magically believe they are telling me the truth just because they cuss? hah! i don't think so

Old 01-23-2017, 07:41 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,174,376 times
I don't necessarily see the correlation - however, I myself try to be honest (both online & in person) & am also fairly foul-mouthed as well. My cursing doesn't come out that much online, however (especially on this site), since I need to clean up my posts in order for them to pass the censors...

Old 01-24-2017, 01:36 AM

953 posts, read 842,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
This study suggests that people that swear often and use profanity in their speech are less likely to be dirty, deceitful liars.
As for the study, I am highly doubtful of the resulting claims.

Quote:
Interesting that in 1939 public use of the word "damn" could land you a hefty fine.
Here we are 78 years later, but it is wise to be cautious ... "I'll be darned."

Old 01-24-2017, 03:15 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,727,010 times
Nope, I drop a good 20 f-bombs a day and have no problem lying if I need to save my backside.

Old 01-24-2017, 03:16 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
Quote:
This study suggests that people that swear often and use profanity in their speech are less likely to be dirty, deceitful liars. We may not like being exposed to their colorful profane and vulgar language, but the chances are good that they are basically truthful and aboveboard people. What's been your experience with folks that are a bit foul-mouthed? Same as this study or different?

Balderdash.

Old 01-25-2017, 01:13 PM

1,748 posts, read 1,295,452 times
What I know is men in white are good liars.

The disparity between liars who swear vulgar and liars that don't, is the the first group already present their nasty side to you. So their lies seem honestly aligned with the impression given and microscopic as compared to the latter.

Liars, who always present their nice side as motivated by hidden agendas, are the most skillful and least likely to expose themselves. So in a way it could be true.

Old 01-25-2017, 01:56 PM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:

I would dispute that, because IMO people swear more or less based on what their environment was growing up. I grew up in a house where no one swore (my grandfather had quite a temper and we'd be showered with spittle if we did something wrong, but he never cursed). So I rarely swear in public ( I also feel it's undignified and I have a good enough vocabulary that I don;t need to swear to get my point across). My brother, who is generally a grump and overly honest often, also never curses even when he's being bitingly "honest". Again, it just wasn't part of our early lives. I don't think cursing is something you just pick up and start doing as an adult. It's like smoking, of you're a cursor you probably started as a teen.

I grew up in a small, rural farm town. People were polite and didn't as a rule carry on in public. If I grew up in a city, I'd have probably heard people swearing every day, and that would be normal to me. If I grew up in a wealthy area swearing publicly would be less commonplace than a blue collar area...that doesn't mean blue collar and city people are less deceitful than country people or educated, mannered people. But to me it's an expression of frustration more than honest communication regardless.

I guess you could say Mel Gibson was being "honest" about his feelings toward his ex in that moment during that famous, expletive-filled phone call that was airing on every TV station a few years ago, but it's not really the word I'd choose.

[CENTER]SaveSave[/CENTER]

Old 01-25-2017, 06:58 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,340,186 times
I've been around a few whose swearing behavior was what I would call 'high on the Richter scale'...... not too many of these folks, but a few. You seldom walked away from a conversation, even a short one, without having heard a few of their choice words and phrases. If you heard heard them talking once or twice, you could easily come away thinking that they were just being very honest and 'telling it like it is.' But after awhile, like when you were worked daily with them, you couldn't help but wonder what made them tick. Many times, it would seem like they were doing it primarily for effect, to get attention. Other times, it was just a normal part of their speech... more like who they were.

They were certainly less inhibited than others around them when it came to being crass with the language. But they also knew that there were some, like a boss, that they wouldn't talk to like that. I agree that for many, it's something they probably picked up very early in their lives. But I also think that later on in life, you can get a little looser with the tongue just by virtue of having been around some of these folks. Maybe not exactly like them, but a little less inhibited in using a choice word now and then.

Were they more truthful? Hard to tell. I just know that I never felt too comfortable around them. Anyway, my sample size was too small to tell.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:20 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,345,684 times
This really sounds like more research grant money thrown down a rat hole if in fact there was any grant money involved.

But then again, maybe people curse out of their frustration when they find out that no one wants to hear the truth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology